• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not everyone walks in though... http://youtu.be/1AS-dCdYZbo

2030 - The Moon, The Moon are the Favourites if they Bid. Honestly, how often do you want to repeat all of this? It's just as redundant as GCL's ramblings on the other side of the spectrum.

Remember something important when discussing China's pollution - its your pollution. The average Chinese persons carbon footprint is many times smaller than that of someone in the west. Their actual

Oh please. Even senior IOC member Dick Pound said that SLC didn't have to go to the measures that they did bcuz they had the best bid outta the 2002 lot anyway.

And let's not also forget that many bid cities were doing the same back then, including your very own Sydney. It was just that Salt Lake was the one caught with their hand in the cookie jar. And let's also keep in mind that it takes two to tango. The IOC was just as much to blame for all of that by TAKING the bribes in the first place.

Didn't realize that I was the head of the Sydney 2000 bid... But I wasn't having a go at SLC, was replying to the fact that they lacked venues in their city.

If those things were really that necessary, China would've built it. They don't really need the Olympics as permission. If that's their excuse, it's a very poor one.

Agreed. I mean look at all those venues needing to be built that are games dependent.. If they really needed them then they would have already planned to build them.

4aHWaVs.png

But I wasn't having a go at SLC, was replying to the fact that they lacked venues in their city.

This is what you intially said below;

Well let's not forget HOW SLC won those Olympic games... they could have proposed 1 venue in SLC and still won.

You were citing "how" (& in CAP letters, too) Salt Lake won the 2002 Games. And went on that they coulda proposed just one venue & still had won. Having a 'go' or not, you were clearly implying to the scandal.

I was surprised by Almaty's preliminary report. I expected it to be better considering all their new construction and planning for the Asian Winter Games. I think it's possible the results were artificially manipulated to some degree, but the IOC would not go so far as to make a good bid look bad. I think it's probable that Beijing and Almaty were a bit more evenly balanced than the report suggests and that the IOC working group decided to help the membership see the light by exaggerating the difference -- at least somewhat.

Even so, I'm surprised and disappointed that Almaty didn't learn and improve more over the last eight years. I think this preliminary report makes it crystal clear that if Oslo falters, the IOC will choose China.

Osaka 2008. So please tell me again how the IOC wouldn't manipulate things to make a good bid look bad for political ends.

Osaka 2008. So please tell me again how the IOC wouldn't manipulate things to make a good bid look bad for political ends.

You're saying Almaty's bid is good and the IOC just screwed them in the evaluation? No way.

My post is in the context of 2022. The pickings are slim. The IOC is not going to make a good bid look bad in this race. They don't have that luxury with such a weak pool of applicants.

I do think they'd make a weak bid (Almaty) look worse than it actually is in order to cement another bid (Beijing) as the clear preference in the event that the darling of the race (Oslo) falters.

2008 was a totally different race with totally different dynamics. It's neither here nor there.

• Like 1

Zhang Yimou to direct Beijing 2022 Olympic Bid promotional video

(SFC) At a press conference in the Chinese capital Thursday, Chinese director Zhang Yimou announced he would direct a promotional video for the Beijing 2022 Olympic Games bid.

Zhang Bin, television host and director of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Summer Games Opening Ceremony, could reprise his role in 2022 should Beijing and Zhangjiakou be awarded hosting duties.

The announcement was first made by Bin at the press conference for China Movie Channel’s “China Influence” Young Director Competition. Yimou confirmed the comment from Bin and mentioned h would like to work with another young, Chinese director on the project.

“After that you may have an opportunity to direct a future blockbuster,” he said.

“The director is the core of a film. We need the kind of creator who has the ability to tell a story.”

Jackie Chan and writer Wang Meng were also in Beijing for the Young Director Competition, which brought 100 Chinese directors to the capital. A shortlist of 10 will be made, after which the directors will have 100 days to create a short film to premiere on China Movie Channel next year.

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/51111/zhang-yimou-to-direct-beijing-2022-olympic-bid-promotional-video

imo it wouldn't be bad games or anything, but the spending that we all know they're gonna do is going to contribute to the stigma that the winter games cost upwards of tens of millions of dollars (sochi you bad boy) so for that reason and that 3 asian hosts in a row is just going to become uninteresting given that they all have somewhat similar cultures, i don't believe that they will win.

all oslo has to do is pull a tokyo and somehow get public support up enough to win.

imo it wouldn't be bad games or anything, but the spending that we all know they're gonna do is going to contribute to the stigma that the winter games cost upwards of tens of millions of dollars (sochi you bad boy) so for that reason and that 3 asian hosts in a row is just going to become uninteresting given that they all have somewhat similar cultures, i don't believe that they will win.

all oslo has to do is pull a tokyo and somehow get public support up enough to win.

The only way there will be 3 Asian Olympics in a row, is if Oslo withdraws. Beijing doesn't have to spend as much People believe they do. They have the main structures in place, just need to transform them for the Winter Olympics and Paralympics.

The only way there will be 3 Asian Olympics in a row, is if Oslo withdraws. Beijing doesn't have to spend as much People believe they do. They have the main structures in place, just need to transform them for the Winter Olympics and Paralympics.

they also have to build all that stuff for the apline events, which still costs a buttload of money. Quite literally (according to the chart) every alpine venue either has to be built or renovated, and we don't know how much renovation is needed either. Thats why I personally think they will end up spending a lot more that we're told now.

• Like 2

Well, if Oslo does indeed pull out, China's spending is going to be neither here nor there. Besides, the new alpine facilities (the first in China) would be used by Chinese (& other) winter athletes. The IOC won't be able to say much if their choices are far from optimal.

they also have to build all that stuff for the apline events, which still costs a buttload of money. Quite literally (according to the chart) every alpine venue either has to be built or renovated, and we don't know how much renovation is needed either. Thats why I personally think they will end up spending a lot more that we're told now.

That may be in Beijing city which will be hosting 40% but the rest in Zhangjakou will be costing up to at least $50 to transform it from an 3rd world city to an world class city, This will be Sochi 2.0 not Almaty Kazakhstan who will only have to build 2 venues and media and athletes village to host the games plus update the transport infrastructure which will benefit the city after the games.

Not to mention the whole cost of getting people between the two.

That may be in Beijing city which will be hosting 40% but the rest in Zhangjakou will be costing up to at least $50 to transform it from an 3rd world city to an world class city, This will be Sochi 2.0 not Almaty Kazakhstan who will only have to build 2 venues and media and athletes village to host the games plus update the transport infrastructure which will benefit the city after the games.

Stop embarrassing Yourself. Almaty is more of a Sochi 2.0 then Beijing is. ALMATY IS NOT GOING TO HOST. LOOK AT REALITY. If Oslo withdraws, Beijing will Host. You and Olympic Fan Darcy are the only ones not looking at reality.

when i talked about the alpine venues i was referring to zhangjakou because thats where they're all going to be... idk to be honest and i think a lot of people also think this its a little hard to understand what you say

I can imagine China being all like: "We need to look into the future and create a more friendly China. Why not revitalize Zhangjakou and Yanqing and Beijing to be world class cities/regions with wold class connections with "fresh", "new" sporting culture by encouraging tourism to engage in winter activities to benefit the nation sports-wise, aesthetically, diversity-wise, and tourism-wise? One step at a time!" Then later, when/if they win the Olympics: "Oh look! What a coincidence! The regions the 2022 Olympics are going to use are already beautiful with convenient infrastructure and modern venues, with historical and modern culture sprinkled all around! All the committee needs to do now is to decorate, plan, and advertise! What a ("coincidental") money saver that does not relate to the Olympics whatsoever!" :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is (other than maybe the exception of Sochi. But even there, big Putin was promising the world), no extremely poor rated short-listed bid has ever made it to win the whole thing. Even Annecy 2018 rated a bit higher. Let's face it, if there had been more quality bidders, like initially expected, Almaty wouldn't have made this cut. GCL has the wool over his eyes if he thinks they'd be 'practical', considering their very poor marks.

At the beginning, i really didn't look to BJ&ZJK. And its not fair to Harbin as well.

But these days, as a Chinese, i have to say that i do know China government's habit...They really cares about their "face", i mean if it was just a exercises for future bid, they will show a low profile for that, for example when Harbin bid for 2010 and 2018, all the medias are all showed low profile for that. But 2022 bid this time, they really got a little too high key for that...i mean they are not just play for the next bid...trust me, maybe some internal information or even request from IOC was accepted by China government. B):lol::ph34r:

. But 2022 bid this time, they really got a little too high key for that...i mean they are not just play for the next bid...trust me, maybe some internal information or even request from IOC was accepted by China government.:

Do you suggest the IOC actually approached China to bid for 2022? Not a chance in hell that happened...

There have been clear indications from within the IOC ever since PC was chosen that they would prefer a "traditional" location again soon (hello Germany and Switzerland). There was no need for them to go begging in Beijing at the time.

Of course, the 2022 race has not at all gone the way the IOC would have liked (but wouldn't admit this), but that's the only reason Beijing is now a serious candidate.

Do you suggest the IOC actually approached China to bid for 2022? Not a chance in hell that happened...

Actually, they hope or even wanna help Beijing win after final short list.

Because, they dont want to work...hahah they r lazy. And Beijing is the most safe choice for IOC in the short list.

And or,maybe they want to change the rule of Continents Rotation

Make more cities more passion...

Just guess...ok,,, take it easy

Beijing will be the first city in the world to host both the summer and winter games.

Uhmmm...actually the city of Karuizawa, Japan - holds that title. In Tokyo 1964, it hosted the Equestrian events; in Nagano 1998, it hosted Curling. So technically, it is the first city on the planet to have been part of BOTH seasonal Games. It's also the city where the present emperor, Akihito, met his current empress, Michiko.

• Like 1

Actually, they hope or even wanna help Beijing win after final short list.

Because, they dont want to work...hahah they r lazy. And Beijing is the most safe choice for IOC in the short list.

And or,maybe they want to change the rule of Continents Rotation

Make more cities more passion...

Just guess...ok,,, take it easy

Actually, Oslo is the most safe choice for the IOC in the short list. Beijing is the IOC's Insurance Policy and back up plan, just in case Olso withdraws. They won;t have 3 Olympics in a row in Asia unless there is no other choice. There is a choice at the moment, which is Oslo. Almaty stands no chance.

There have been clear indications from within the IOC ever since PC was chosen that they would prefer a "traditional" location again soon (hello Germany and Switzerland). There was no need for them to go begging in Beijing at the time.

Of course, the 2022 race has not at all gone the way the IOC would have liked (but wouldn't admit this), but that's the only reason Beijing is now a serious candidate.

I do think it's possible that after the shortlist announcement someone from the IOC said to the Chinese "hey, you may want to take this bid seriously because it's very possible you could end up winning."

Beijing 2022 began very quietly, as if it were a warm-up bid. It's only after the announcement of the shortlist that they started ramping up.

I think it's most likely that the Chinese did not expect to win 2022 when the race first began, but now find themselves in surprisingly good position and are ready to take advantage of it.