Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

In their drive to be the dominant power of the planet, the Chinese will lie, cheat, steal, kill, rape and pillage in order to lord it over the Earth!!

In fairness a lot of those students are suffering from culture shock. China to the USA is a much greater change than Europe or even South Korea and Japan to the USA.

I was stuck living in the international dorms one year in university after the school screwed up. (My girlfriend also left school after her best friend was murdered by his brother. It was not my favorite year.) The Chinese students had a really hard time because few of them spoke English well and everything in life was different. Even eating meals. They made me drive them an hour once a week to go to an authentic Chinese restaurant because they were so homesick. The fact that they all came from wealthy families also made it worse because none of them could cook, clean, etc. A bunch of them ended up getting in serious trouble due to persistent smoking in non-smoking areas, alcoholism, poor grades, etc.

To this day I curse the school administrator who forced me to live with a bunch of alcoholic, chain smoking Chinese guys who couldn't cook or clean up after themselves. If they were going to assign me to international dorm I didn't apply for it could at least have been a dorm with Swedish girls.

In fairness a lot of those students are suffering from culture shock. China to the USA is a much greater change than Europe or even South Korea and Japan to the USA.

I was stuck living in the international dorms one year in university after the school screwed up. (My girlfriend also left school after her best friend was murdered by his brother. It was not my favorite year.) The Chinese students had a really hard time because few of them spoke English well and everything in life was different. Even eating meals. They made me drive them an hour once a week to go to an authentic Chinese restaurant because they were so homesick. The fact that they all came from wealthy families also made it worse because none of them could cook, clean, etc. A bunch of them ended up getting in serious trouble due to persistent smoking in non-smoking areas, alcoholism, poor grades, etc.

To this day I curse the school administrator who forced me to live with a bunch of alcoholic, chain smoking Chinese guys who couldn't cook or clean up after themselves. If they were going to assign me to international dorm I didn't apply for it could at least have been a dorm with Swedish girls.

Eh, culture shock or not; that's no excuse for cheating, etc. When you're young, it's so easy to adapt to other cultures than when you're older.

Oh boo freaking hoo the poor little lambs are getting an opportunity of a lifetime to study abroad and they can't handle it! No sympathy on my end!

If you were forced to move to China when you didn't speak Mandarin I bet you'd be singing a different tune.

Eh, culture shock or not; that's no excuse for cheating, etc. When you're young, it's so easy to adapt to other cultures than when you're older.

I'm not saying it's right. But even when you are 19 it's still difficult to switch between a tonal language that uses characters to an alphabetic language. So a struggling Chinese student may resort to cheating to keep the peace with a tiger mom or father who made his money through corruption back home.

If you were forced to move to China when you didn't speak Mandarin I bet you'd be singing a different tune.

I'm not saying it's right. But even when you are 19 it's still difficult to switch between a tonal language that uses characters to an alphabetic language. So a struggling Chinese student may resort to cheating to keep the peace with a tiger mom or father who made his money through corruption back home.

2 things here. I'm guessing that most of these students weren't "forced" to move to the United States. That's probably a choice many of them made to pursue certainly educational opportunities. Not to say it's an easy transition, but I'm also guessing many of those students have a pretty solid understanding of English, moreso than the only handful of American students who are likely to learn Mandarin.

Your last point is the key.. if a Chinese student has parents who expect the very best and that student resorts to cheating, shame on his or her parents for bringing him/her up to believe that's acceptable.

There is this too to consider...

http://www.businessinsider.com/wholeren-education-report-on-chinese-students-2015-5

In their drive to be the dominant power of the planet, the Chinese will lie, cheat, steal, kill, rape and pillage in order to lord it over the Earth!!

As if Greece, Rome, The Holy Roman Empire, Europe, the Angles, The Saxons, the Jutes, The Nations of Africa, The Mesoamaerican civilizations, The Mesopotamian civilizations, etc, etc, have not all done this before. What attack the Chinese?

What attack the Chinese?

Because we happen to live in the same era; because they are flexing their muscle and clout in unethical ways; because they are trying to win a 2nd Olympic Games in a dozen years; because we are dealing with here and today.

Would you want to take care of attacking all those civilizations and empires past and gone? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

What does the Chinese going after a second Olympic Games in a dozen years have to do with what you're talking about. It's not like they're the only nation on earth that's done that, sound familiar. I also don't see how "flexing their muscle & clout in unethical ways" is exclusive to the Chinese 'here & today' either.

Because we happen to live in the same era; because they are flexing their muscle and clout in unethical ways; because they are trying to win a 2nd Olympic Games in a dozen years; because we are dealing with here and today.

Would you want to take care of attacking all those civilizations and empires past and gone? :rolleyes:

What does the Chinese going after a second Olympic Games in a dozen years have to do with what you're talking about. It's not like they're the only nation on earth that's done that, sound familiar. I also don't see how "flexing their muscle & clout in unethical ways" is exclusive to the Chinese 'here & today' either.

Going after a 2nd Olympic games in a dozen years. Flexing muscle and clout (in unethical ways?). Hmm, that does sound familiar, doesn't it..

ar121660276709566.jpg

The Chinese, much like the Atlanta 1996 have fallen into a fortunate circumstance. They have no business winning the 2022 Olympic bid. But again, like Atlanta, they put in a bid probably not thinking they've got a great shot at winning, and here we are when the only city standing in their way is Almaty. That aspect of it is not Beijing's fault. So if the history book reads that Beijing and China hosted two Olympics 14 years apart, let's remember that it was not their muscle and clout that did that. It was the IOC's mismanagement that drove European cities away that paved the way for China's win.

• Like 1

Going after a 2nd Olympic games in a dozen years. Flexing muscle and clout (in unethical ways?). Hmm, that does sound familiar, doesn't it..

ar121660276709566.jpg

The Chinese, much like the Atlanta 1996 have fallen into a fortunate circumstance. They have no business winning the 2022 Olympic bid. But again, like Atlanta, they put in a bid probably not thinking they've got a great shot at winning, and here we are when the only city standing in their way is Almaty. That aspect of it is not Beijing's fault. So if the history book reads that Beijing and China hosted two Olympics 14 years apart, let's remember that it was not their muscle and clout that did that. It was the IOC's mismanagement that drove European cities away that paved the way for China's win.

Indeed, if we're lumping Winter and Summer Games together, then the USA hosted four Olympics in the space of 24 years.

/\/\ Oh details. <_<

You know what though.. there's some animosity against the United States for having hosting so many Olympics in a short span. But that's not Atlanta's fault (or the USOC's) for being there in the right place and time. Yet some want to criticize the USOC for that and I think that's unfair. Similarly with China, if they wind up with the 2022 Winter Olympics, it's hardly because they were unethical or flexed their muscle. Say what you will about their bid not being one that would normally get much serious consideration, but here we are with all the European contenders having cleared out and the IOC is left with a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

• 1 month later...

Currently I'm in Beijing. First time here and really shocked and overwhelmed by the traffic, mess, pollution, poverty and how rusty the venues are at the Olympic park. Just took the 100 yuan tour which was nothing than see such a wSte if rusty iron and children literally pissing in the middle of the esplanade between the national stadium and the stinky water cube (like piss). On top of that, most Beijingers don't know their bidding again for the Olympics. Zhianjiakou was also awful, full of hutongs and equally polluted. I just want to leave as soon as possible. And I just wonder, how could they manage to host the Olympics a few years ago!

On top of that, most Beijingers don't know their bidding again for the Olympics.

Whaaaat! But I thought polls showed SKY HIGH support for both Beijing & Almaty. Just goes to show that you can't trust these 'polls' from dictatorship states, despite what some here like to point out when it came in reference to the European 2022 pull out.

Currently I'm in Beijing. First time here and really shocked and overwhelmed by the traffic, mess, pollution, poverty and how rusty the venues are at the Olympic park. Just took the 100 yuan tour which was nothing than see such a wSte if rusty iron and children literally pissing in the middle of the esplanade between the national stadium and the stinky water cube (like piss). On top of that, most Beijingers don't know their bidding again for the Olympics. Zhianjiakou was also awful, full of hutongs and equally polluted. I just want to leave as soon as possible. And I just wonder, how could they manage to host the Olympics a few years ago!

More of a reason to bid, eh? The Olympics would offer the *perfect* legacy to those rotted areas ~_~

Yes I was shocked at the state of repair there 18 months ago as well- Olympic Park was a huge wasteland, the scale for 'legacy' is all wrong. It will end up more like Athens than Sydney or London Olympic Parks if they don't watch out.

The Water Cube still had all the Olympic Overlay and bunting on it. Sad, bit it was busy though.

Yes I was shocked at the state of repair there 18 months ago as well- Olympic Park was a huge wasteland, the scale for 'legacy' is all wrong. It will end up more like Athens than Sydney or London Olympic Parks if they don't watch out.

The Water Cube still had all the Olympic Overlay and bunting on it. Sad, bit it was busy though.

At least the water cube is being used as a swimming training and aquatic park. But the other indoor stadia where also rusty. And just next to the Olympic park is full of hutongs worse than Rio favelas. At least their colorful and got a great scenery. To take buses is hell, Beijing Railway Station is just sank by the unstoppable crowd 24. Also there is, literally crap and piss everywhere, expect those government buildings, but still beggars and handicap people sleep around the parks in the financial area. I believe Almaty would do it better with their compact plan which can be seen from the IOC officials hotel windows. They just can grab their pop corns and expensive wine to enjoy the show from their rooms.

Some have stated Almaty pollution, come on, now in Beijing we can say whether it's cloudy or sunny. I even started to spit out all smog and dust from my throat like locals. If they didn't improve that 7 years ago, things are not promising in the com get years where population grows really fast.

I also went to PyeongChang region, where people is pissed off, because all the ecocide is being held to build venues. Why they didn't use some of Seoul OLympics and World Cup venues? Tokyo was, as always, good. Then I could accept the defeat of Istanbul. Tokyo is quietly working, everything well organized and air quality is just as good as Hokkaido countryside.

• Like 1

Whaaaat! But I thought polls showed SKY HIGH support for both Beijing & Almaty. Just goes to show that you can't trust these 'polls' from dictatorship states, despite what some here like to point out when it came in reference to the European 2022 pull out.

I've been asking my Chinese friends and people (who are able to understand, at least a little English) and nobody knew about it! They even look at me as a weirdo because my excitement about such thing for becoming the first summer and winter Olympic city, they gave a sh*** about it. I'm heading overland through Urumqi all the way to Almaty till the end of the summer. I'll expect something similar than UlaanBaatar, but still big chances of improvement, as Mongolians are surprisingly doing, instead all the mess in Beijing and PyeongChang.

By the way, how can I upload pictures here?

By the way, how can I upload pictures here?

You have to upload them to a separate site and then put the link in using the little icon on the 2nd row. You'll notice it looks like a small pic with a tree in it. You click on that and put the URL in.

If you need a site to post it on, use tinypic.com you can even create an account to keep track of all your pics if you wish.