Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

I am not saying that the world as a whole looks like the 80's, but that Olympic History is similar. They are in a similar situation where nations do not see the benefits of hosting and see the games as a costly and pointless endeavor.

It's different though. Back then the issue was that they were coming of the terrorist incident in Munich and the financial disaster of Montreal. So yea, no one wanted to take a chance until LA rewrote the book on hosting an Olympics.

The problem now, aside from costs that have spiraled out of control, is that no one wants to work with the IOC. That wasn't at issue in the 1970s in the way it is now. The reason these nations are all saying no to bidding isn't just that they don't see benefits in hosting (although that's certainly part of it). It's more that the IOC has turned nations off to bidding

The problem now, aside from costs that have spiraled out of control, is that no one wants to work with the IOC. That wasn't at issue in the 1970s in the way it is now. The reason these nations are all saying no to bidding isn't just that they don't see benefits in hosting (although that's certainly part of it). It's more that the IOC has turned nations off to bidding

Indeed. Many potentials just don't want to deal with the IOC as it is widely regarded nowadays (the famous "corrupt bunch of weasels", as zeke put it once).

Take the Munich situation for instance: Basically all proposed venues are almost every year hosting World Cup/Championship events and there are sometimes discussions and environmental concerns, but only when the IOC came into play, as is obvious with Olympic bidding, massive resistance began to form.

I'm not saying Kazakhstan will not be a humble games, but until someone here can tell me exactly how they will be more blown out of proportions then Beijing will be then I am going to say Almaty will be cheaper. Beijing has a lot more opportunities to let costs balloon given how many venues they have to build. Almaty not so much.

It's really been mentioned ad-nauseum all over these boards already. So all you have to do is look back at some of these threads so you can have some of your questions answered.

But seriously, for someone who was saying not that long ago that "after looking at the 2022 prelimanary report, you can now say that Almaty won't be hosting the Winter Olympics".

Now you're back to your old Almaty ways again. You change your opinion more often than a flippin' politician.

(the famous "corrupt bunch of weasels", as zeke put it once).

Lmfao, "once" is a total understatement! :-/

It's really been mentioned ad-nauseum all over these boards already. So all you have to do is look back at some of these threads so you can have some of your questions answered.

But seriously, for someone who was saying not that long ago that "after looking at the 2022 prelimanary report, you can now say that Almaty won't be hosting the Winter Olympics".

Now you're back to your old Almaty ways again. You change your opinion more often than a flippin' politician.

I said that because the IOC made it clear they do not want Almaty, but I still do not understand in what ways the final Olympic costs will be larger then Beijings. Unless infrastructure and 'beautification' is factored in to that then it seems their 'Olympic' exclusive costs will be much lower.

Remember something important when discussing China's pollution - its your pollution.

The average Chinese persons carbon footprint is many times smaller than that of someone in the west. Their actual lifestyles are far more green and sustainable than Aussies, Europeans and North America. Most of the pollution you see affecting Beijing is from manufacturing inputs - of which the west is a huge consumer of. They do the dirty work cheaply, so we can afford the things we want to consume. Just something to bear in mind before we all go shaming them for having dirty skies.

Interesting point. Of course the carbon footprint is smaller... they have 1.5 billion people to share the burden.

And yes, the West consume the goods that China produces. This doesn't stop the irresponsible damage that China is doing to their/our environment. I don't care if one nation is polluting for goods for another country. It comes down to earth. Which all 7 billion of us share.

And a Winter Olympics isn't really suited for a city with "dirty skies" that are full of unsafe air pollution.

Beijing Olympics are going to be so lovely.

If running a 42 kilometer foot race was not tough enough, Sunday's Beijing International Marathon saw thousands of competitors brave a "hazardous" smog which engulfed the Chinese capital.
Many runners wore face or gas marks to attempt to protect themselves from the effects of the poor air quality but there were several withdrawals before and during the race as runners feared for their health.
This is caused by tiny particles known as PM2.5, which can embed themselves deep in the lungs, and had reached more than 400 micrograms per cubic meter as the runners lined up for the start in Tiananmen Square. The recommended daily average maximum level of exposure as prescribed by the World Health Organization is just 25 micrograms.
Organizers reportedly decided against abandoning the race because of the large number of overseas entrants who had traveled to Beijing for the annual race. But they made available 140,000 sponges so runners could get some relief on the course by hoping to wipe away the particles of smog at regular intervals

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/19/sport/athletics-beijing-marathon-smog/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Here we go. Your very biased in favour of Almaty. At least Me and FYI can realise that Beijing has issues, although Beijing has the Best Bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. You can't seem to see that Almaty has a weak Bid and Almaty got a very low score on the Evaluation.

Here we go. Your very biased in favour of Almaty. At least Me and FYI can realise that Beijing has issues, although Beijing has the Best Bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. You can't seem to see that Almaty has a weak Bid and Almaty got a very low score on the Evaluation.

I don't think it's biased to report on the facts, namely Beijing's air pollution problems, which in this case seriously affected sporting competitions.

Why do you keep citing FYI as a basis for your argument? Because he agrees with you (I'm sure he appreciates having you on his side), it's wrong to point out a very obvious issue with Beijing? Is it enough to get the IOC to choose Almaty over Beijing? Probably not, but it's still notable, even in a thread that's actually about Beijing!

I don't think it's biased to report on the facts, namely Beijing's air pollution problems, which in this case seriously affected sporting competitions.

Yeah, but at least point out the Good and the bad on both Bids. Olympic Fan Darcy only Posts the Good on Almaty and the bad on Beijing.

I've Posted before that both Bids are bad, but Beijing 2022 is the Best of the bad.

Why do you keep citing FYI as a basis for your argument? Because he agrees with you (I'm sure he appreciates having you on his side), it's wrong to point out a very obvious issue with Beijing? Is it enough to get the IOC to choose Almaty over Beijing? Probably not, but it's still notable, even in a thread that's actually about Beijing!

Because, Me and FYI can see the reality of the situation, that Beijing 2022 is the Best of this bad situation. Beijing has proven it can deliver before with the Biggest Multi Sporting Event in the World, Almaty hasn't. Almaty had to CO-Host the much smaller Asian Winter Games in 2011 with Astana. Almaty's Venues that are being built aren't up to Olympic Standards.

• 2 weeks later...