Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

The Second Line to the left is called a Full Stop, not Period.

Anyway, GCL, Almaty is not Hosting. (FULL STOP). Almaty isn't a developing Sports Hub. (FULL STOP).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop

In punctuation, the full stop (in British English) or period (in American English) is the punctuation mark placed at the end of a sentence. The full stop glyph is sometimes called a baseline dot because, typographically, it is a dot on the baseline. This term distinguishes the baseline dot from the interpunct (a raised dot).

In 19th century texts both British English and American English were consistent in their usage of the terms "period" and "full stop".[5][6] The word "period" was used as a name for what printers often called the "full point", or the punctuation mark that was a dot on the baseline, and used in several situations. The phrase "full stop" was only used to refer to the punctuation mark when it was used to terminate a sentence.[6] At some point during the 20th century, common usage diverged, with British English adopting "full stop" as the more generic term, and American English preserving the more traditional usage.

You're welcome, Tony. No thanks required for this tidbit of knowledge it took me all of about 36 seconds to find for you.

• Like 1

Anyway, GCL, Almaty is not Hosting. (FULL STOP). Almaty isn't a developing Sports Hub. (FULL STOP).

Two tips.

1.) Get cultured

2.) Ignore GCL like we all do, it will make life a lot easier

follow these and I have a feeling that this thread will not be locked again.

Two tips.

1.) Get cultured

2.) Ignore GCL like we all do, it will make life a lot easier

follow these and I have a feeling that this thread will not be locked again.

I only made one comment. I didn't criticise Your way of calling things. I was simply pointing out that here in England, it's called a full stop. I believe alot of You are trying to create issues where they don't need to be made.

Well, where is your 'like' then. :-P

I ran out

I only made one comment. I didn't criticise Your way of calling things. I was simply pointing out that here in England, it's called a full stop. I believe alot of You are trying to create issues where they don't need to be made.

I don't even have the spoons

^^To quote you:

You seemed pretty emphasized with the the "(FULL STOP)", and brutally corrected it by saying it ain't a period. I don't see any words of phroses (eg. "in Enland it's called a 'Full Stop'") that relate to the English pronounciation, so I don't quite believe your little slip ticket right there

oops, I mean tot respond to Tony, sorry :/

*to

There's is two- I love Central Asia, and would love Almaty to win.

May I ask why? It's a region with a lot more history and culture than most people realize, but politically and socially it's a dumpster fire right now. The Central Asian dictatorships don't get as much negative publicity as Russia or China, but they are actually worse violators of human rights.

It's because they don't do anything that effects the international community. If Obama and Putin meet up, it's a big deal. If the Kazakhstani President and Obama met up, it wouldn't turn any heads. As far as I know, they just do stuff internally and as long as they don't try to spread their influences or anything, a lot of people wouldn't be able to even pinpoint Almaty, let alone Kazakhstan on a map.

May I ask why? It's a region with a lot more history and culture than most people realize, but politically and socially it's a dumpster fire right now. The Central Asian dictatorships don't get as much negative publicity as Russia or China, but they are actually worse violators of human rights.

Kazakhstan is an safe stable country in Central Asia with an strong economy and one off the least debt free rating Kazakhstan debt is only 12% less then China. Kazakhstan neighbour Kyrgyzstan is unstable but it is like Georgia for Sochi Russia 2014 and there are mountains between Almaty and Karakol Almaty closest city in Kyrgyzstan.

It's because they don't do anything that effects the international community. If Obama and Putin meet up, it's a big deal. If the Kazakhstani President and Obama met up, it wouldn't turn any heads. As far as I know, they just do stuff internally and as long as they don't try to spread their influences or anything, a lot of people wouldn't be able to even pinpoint Almaty, let alone Kazakhstan on a map.

This. GCL keeps talking about how Almaty and Kazakhstan are on the verge of being this big winter sports hub. Guess what, sports fans.. Russia just spent $50 billion to turn a resort city into a winter sports hub. How's that working out for them? Granted it's still way too early to pass judgment on them, but the early indications are not looking promising.

So given that, I think the IOC would rather plant that seed in China rather than in a far lesser known country in Central Asia. I know the logic says Almaty has a lot in place, but this is still the IOC we're talking about. A legacy in China, even a more expensive one that could potentially scare off future suitors, could be more beneficial to them than one in Kazakhstan.

The last thing the IOC needs is another $50 Billion dollar Winter Games after Sochi 2014, Beijing 2022 would require major works down in Zhangjiakou is an 3rd world city and not that develop in that part of China. Almaty is an beta world city and an developing sporting hub they will only need to build 2 venues and athletes and media village and IBC to host the games with some public transport and roads developments in Almaty they are hosting the 2017 Winter University Games which will be an big test event 5 years out from the 2022 Winter Games and hosted an Amazing Winter Asian Games in 2011 by the IOC.

CO-hosted the Winter Asian Games in 2011. And Astana got top billing, for what that's worth.

• Like 1

I think Beijing really has to put some effort in and help the IOC. If Beijing fixes some of it's issues, the IOC would be in a more secure place. The word dictatorship gets thrown around alot, but as much as I would trust Beijing more then Almaty, China is equally as much of a dictatorship as Kazakhstan is. Difference is, China is the most populous Country in the World, China has a much stronger economy then Kazakhstan has, China has delivered at the Biggest Stage before and the Chinese public seem to support Beijing 2022 (I'm not sure if they have a choice though, seeing as though China is a dictatorship). Also, Beijing has lot's of Venues up to Olympic and Paralympic Standards. Yes, they do need converting for Winter Sports, but that's much cheaper then having to Build a Brand New Structure, I assume.

The thing with Kazakhstan is, is that even some of the Kazakhstan Public is against Almaty 2022, there is opposition. So, the IOC don't want Almaty 2022, most of us don't want Almaty 2022 and some of the Kazakhstan public don't want Almaty 2022. PyeongChang 2018 already done the new location Bid with their 'New Horizons'. Like Quaker rightfully pointed out, Almaty Co-Hosted the 2011 Asian Winter Games with Astana and Astana was the most impressive over Almaty. Agreed that Beijing and Almaty would both be an expensive Games, but the Beijing Bid seems more safer and secure then Almaty 2022 for the reasons I said above.

This. GCL keeps talking about how Almaty and Kazakhstan are on the verge of being this big winter sports hub. Guess what, sports fans.. Russia just spent $50 billion to turn a resort city into a winter sports hub. How's that working out for them? Granted it's still way too early to pass judgment on them, but the early indications are not looking promising.

So given that, I think the IOC would rather plant that seed in China rather than in a far lesser known country in Central Asia. I know the logic says Almaty has a lot in place, but this is still the IOC we're talking about. A legacy in China, even a more expensive one that could potentially scare off future suitors, could be more beneficial to them than one in Kazakhstan.

CO-hosted the Winter Asian Games in 2011. And Astana got top billing, for what that's worth.

At the same time Almaty *could* be an Olympic success and put Almaty on the map as a hub for winter sports over the highly exposed and developed city of Beijing. With that said it does not mean Almaty would be a success, that fact relies on what would be the organizers.

I think Beijing really has to put some effort in and help the IOC. If Beijing fixes some of it's issues, the IOC would be in a more secure place. The word dictatorship gets thrown around alot, but as much as I would trust Beijing more then Almaty, China is equally as much of a dictatorship as Kazakhstan is. Difference is, China is the most populous Country in the World, China has a much stronger economy then Kazakhstan has, China has delivered at the Biggest Stage before and the Chinese public seem to support Beijing 2022 (I'm not sure if they have a choice though, seeing as though China is a dictatorship). Also, Beijing has lot's of Venues up to Olympic and Paralympic Standards. Yes, they do need converting for Winter Sports, but that's much cheaper then having to Build a Brand New Structure, I assume.

The thing with Kazakhstan is, is that even some of the Kazakhstan Public is against Almaty 2022, there is opposition. So, the IOC don't want Almaty 2022, most of us don't want Almaty 2022 and some of the Kazakhstan public don't want Almaty 2022. PyeongChang 2018 already done the new location Bid with their 'New Horizons'. Like Quaker rightfully pointed out, Almaty Co-Hosted the 2011 Asian Winter Games with Astana and Astana was the most impressive over Almaty. Agreed that Beijing and Almaty would both be an expensive Games, but the Beijing Bid seems more safer and secure then Almaty 2022 for the reasons I said above.

Tony, the percentage of people in Kazakhstan public is not large enough to say that the entire public is against the idea. Retrospectively it makes Kazakhstan look more open then China. However, I think Beijing would still win.

May I ask why? It's a region with a lot more history and culture than most people realize, but politically and socially it's a dumpster fire right now.

I wonder that myself, but didn't want to get into it. All I hear when some people make their arguments is the "silk roads", etc. I think most people don't realize the history & culture of the region moreso bcuz they simply don't care to. Vietnam & Cambodia are also countries with more history & culture than most people realize, but those are some of the least traveled to countries in all of Southeast Asia.

But that's the thing, some people confuse such things with the actual political climate in these regions. For example, I think Thailand would make for a very interesting & intriguing host. The history. The culture. The first predominately Buddhist country, etc, but I'm well aware that they political landscape in that country right now would make them off limits for many years to come, if not decades.

Kazakstan has the potential of being a great political debacle for the IOC if they're not careful. And judging from the IOC's own preliminary working group evaluation report, a good amount of those things aren't high off the mark. No matter how much delusional spin GCL tries to put on it. Almaty is not the darling that he so desperately would like it to be.

• Like 1

I wonder that myself, but didn't want to get into it. All I hear when some people make their arguments is the "silk roads", etc. I think most people don't realize the history & culture of the region moreso bcuz they simply don't care to. Vietnam & Cambodia are also countries with more history & culture than most people realize, but those are some of the least traveled to countries in all of Southeast Asia.

Gee, I wonder why? Vietnam and Cambodia do not have the best images in the west or globally for that matter. That is like saying the Middle East has more culture and history then most realize, but not a lot of people go. People do not go because they view it as a violent place.

At the same time Almaty *could* be an Olympic success and put Almaty on the map as a hub for winter sports over the highly exposed and developed city of Beijing. With that said it does not mean Almaty would be a success, that fact relies on what would be the organizers.

The question is would people come back to Almaty after the Olympics. And I have trouble believing that would be the case. Contrast that with Beijing which, like you said, is a highly exposed and developed city. I think people would come there since they already do. There's something to build on there. Just like how Vancouver is already prominent city. And Salt Lake already had the ski resorts. So therein lies the problem, and is it on the organizers.. comes down to the same old issue of legacy. How do you make an Olympics and all that comes with it about more than just the 2 1/2 weeks of the Games.