Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

Don't be so critical of Perth, they're getting a reasonable amount of infrastructure headed their way in the coming years. If they want to bid, no doubt they will present the strongest one possible at their first attempt.

Out of the potential Australian cities to bid for a Summer Olympics, it's Melbourne first, Brisbane if they're willing, then Perth. Remember, there was the crazy idea of Hobart making a bid for 2020 a few years back.

Perth was for over 100 years the gateway to Australia too in the shipping age all the boats which come from Europe went to Perth from I use to work at an historical place doing databasing with shipping and all the boats use to come to Perth to let people off and then the boat went to other ports in Australia. It really making Brisbane an run for its money now as Australia number 3 city, The IOC likes legacy there is not really much of an legacy if they go to Melbourne and Sydney put on an great games but the IOC will want to go to another city in Australia before going back to Sydney or Melbourne. It will be around the late 2030s and early 2040s when they will come back to Australia and Perth will be an bigger city which is the fastest growing city in Australia right now.

This situation is about more than Olympic Games. The real question is whether the government is going to listen to the people it claims to represent or ignore them. Yes, in time (I'm thinking YEARS) the Norwegians could warm up to the idea of hosting again. But if they feel the government is brazenly violating their wishes, that's something that they won't get over and it will be a big mess. They will be so angry at being ignored that it will poison the notion of Olympic Games.

It will be political suicide for the government to support this when an clear majority don't want this I think Oslo Norway will be pulling out by the end of the year leaving it an race between Almaty Kazakhstan and Beijing China fighting it out in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. Almaty Kazakhstan is developing as an winter sporting hub in Central and South Asia. There will have been 3 Winter Games in East Asia I think the IOC will have an break in East Asia and pick the only place which is not in East Asia in Asia which could host the Winter Games which is Almaty Kazakhstan.

Oh please. Give me a fukcing break. We're talking about individuals who think that Europe is on the brink of "civial war" & that Perth is going to soon become Australia's "powerhouse city". Not to mention the others that believed Baton Rouge was an Olympic host in the making when they first joined. And let's not forget that loon 'politician' (or whatever his handle was) that was here for a bit spewing his at length rhetoric. And besides, it's not like you haven't been critical of their bid yourself. So :-P

Holy crap, I was joking. Jeez, I didn't think that would get you all wound up, chillax dude.

Perth was for over 100 years the gateway to Australia too in the shipping age all the boats which come from Europe went to Perth from I use to work at an historical place doing databasing with shipping and all the boats use to come to Perth to let people off and then the boat went to other ports in Australia. It really making Brisbane an run for its money now as Australia number 3 city, The IOC likes legacy there is not really much of an legacy if they go to Melbourne and Sydney put on an great games but the IOC will want to go to another city in Australia before going back to Sydney or Melbourne. It will be around the late 2030s and early 2040s when they will come back to Australia and Perth will be an bigger city which is the fastest growing city in Australia right now.

Yes, that's a big deal in the 21st century.. being a shipping hub. That's what will put them over the top for an Olympics.

You keep talking about legacy as if the best plan is to build everything from scratch. Did London do that? Did Vancouver? Sochi did build everything from scratch.. how's that legacy working out for them (need to see what happens with another Winter season, but so far, it doesn't look promising).

Not much legacy in Melbourne, but there would be in Perth? Okay, lets pretend that's actually true for a sec.. does Perth have the money and motivation to spend for an Olympics? I wouldn't count on it. If Perth truly does become the number 3 city in Australia, what's wrong with the number 2 city that's probably going on at least 80 years from hosting the Olympics?

It will be political suicide for the government to support this when an clear majority don't want this I think Oslo Norway will be pulling out by the end of the year leaving it an race between Almaty Kazakhstan and Beijing China fighting it out in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. Almaty Kazakhstan is developing as an winter sporting hub in Central and South Asia. There will have been 3 Winter Games in East Asia I think the IOC will have an break in East Asia and pick the only place which is not in East Asia in Asia which could host the Winter Games which is Almaty Kazakhstan.

Do you think by saying the same thing over and over again, it's going to give any credibility to the argument?

Holy crap, I was joking. Jeez, I didn't think that would get you all wound up, chillax dude.

Yes, that's a big deal in the 21st century.. being a shipping hub. That's what will put them over the top for an Olympics.

You keep talking about legacy as if the best plan is to build everything from scratch. Did London do that? Did Vancouver? Sochi did build everything from scratch.. how's that legacy working out for them (need to see what happens with another Winter season, but so far, it doesn't look promising).

Not much legacy in Melbourne, but there would be in Perth? Okay, lets pretend that's actually true for a sec.. does Perth have the money and motivation to spend for an Olympics? I wouldn't count on it. If Perth truly does become the number 3 city in Australia, what's wrong with the number 2 city that's probably going on at least 80 years from hosting the Olympics?

Do you think by saying the same thing over and over again, it's going to give any credibility to the argument?

I was talking about Perth from an historical side in other News Perth is expanding it's airport and it's expected to have 70 million passengers each year by 2044 there are lots and lots of work going on at Perth Airport now and we will have having an railway way line to the Airport by 2020 too.

I was talking about Perth from an historical side in other News Perth is expanding it's airport and it's expected to have 70 million passengers each year by 2044 there are lots and lots of work going on at Perth Airport now and we will have having an railway way line to the Airport by 2020 too.

No it's not. If you're going to make an argument for your city, you need to make a proper argument or else it's going to hurt your cause more than it helps. The expected expansions to Perth's airport could give it the CAPACITY to handle 70 million passengers. That doesn't mean they will actually have 70 million passengers.

In doing some research (this is from Wikipedia, so take that for what it's worth).. Melbourne's airport handled just under 30 million passengers this past year. Perth was around 14 million. Which is to say.. Melbourne handled (actually handled, not had the capacity to handle) more than double the passengers as Perth. You keep saying Perth will be growing. Well, Melbourne is probably going to grow as well. According to reports, the projections for Melbourne are that their passenger numbers could rise into the 40-50 million range within the next 15 years or so. Again, that's actual passenger traffic, not capacity.

So yea, keep telling us how Perth is an emerging city. They're still going to be, at best, number 3 behind Sydney and Melbourne.

Uh, I'm not Australian, but you seem to be forgetting somebody.

I think he's discounting Sydney, assuming they won't jump back in the fray so soon.

Don't be so critical of Perth, they're getting a reasonable amount of infrastructure headed their way in the coming years. If they want to bid, no doubt they will present the strongest one possible at their first attempt.

Out of the potential Australian cities to bid for a Summer Olympics, it's Melbourne first, Brisbane if they're willing, then Perth. Remember, there was the crazy idea of Hobart making a bid for 2020 a few years back.

I disagree. Out of potential Australian Cities to Bid for a Summer Olympics and Paralympics: 1) Melbourne. 2) Sydney. 3) Brisbane. 4) Perth. I would have listed Sydney ahead of Melbourne, had Sydney not have Hosted recently in 2000, compared to Melbourne in 1956, although Melbourne Hosted the much smaller 2006 Commonwealth Games.

Perth is not going to Host. Reality. If Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane decide not to Bid, Perth might Bid, but they won't Host.

Just because You say Almaty, Kazakhstan is a developing Winter Sporting Hub, doesn't make it true, because they aren't. Even alot of People in Kazakhstan don't want Almaty 2022 to happen. The only People wanting it to happen is the Almaty 2022 Bidding Team, You and Olympic Fan Darcy. Almaty 2022 is not going to happen and Friday 31st July 2015 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia will prove most of us including Me right. As I say again, Oslo is the Favourite and I can see the IOC persuading the Oslo 2022 Bid Team to carry on the Bidding Process, because it's surely there's to lose. Beijing is the IOC's insurance policy back up plan, just in case Oslo 2022 withdraws and Almaty has no chance. Almaty more than any other place is a Sochi 2.0. It's a lie to say that Almaty 2022 will be low cost, because it would be a high cost Games. The IOC don't want an Almaty 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, so what makes You think that You saying this gives Almaty 2022 a chance. They won't have 3 Olympics in Asia in a row, unless there is no other choice. Also, Almaty are only got the 2017 Winter University Games because they were the only Bidders. Almaty also had to CO-Host the much smaller Asian Winter Games with Astana. These are the Favourites IF they Bid for Future Summer and Winter Olympics:

2022 - Oslo, Norway is the Favourite.

2024 - Rome, Italy; Berlin, Germany and Paris, France are the Favourites if they all Bid. Rome, Italy would Win IMO.

2026 - Denver, United States Of America are the Favourites if they Bid.

2028 - Durban, South Africa are the Favourites if they Bid.

I disagree. Out of potential Australian Cities to Bid for a Summer Olympics and Paralympics: 1) Melbourne. 2) Sydney. 3) Brisbane. 4) Perth. I would have listed Sydney ahead of Melbourne, had Sydney not have Hosted recently in 2000, compared to Melbourne in 1956, although Melbourne Hosted the much smaller 2006 Commonwealth Games.

Perth is not going to Host. Reality. If Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane decide not to Bid, Perth might Bid, but they won't Host.

Just because You say Almaty, Kazakhstan is a developing Winter Sporting Hub, doesn't make it true, because they aren't. Even alot of People in Kazakhstan don't want Almaty 2022 to happen. The only People wanting it to happen is the Almaty 2022 Bidding Team, You and Olympic Fan Darcy. Almaty 2022 is not going to happen and Friday 31st July 2015 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia will prove most of us including Me right. As I say again, Oslo is the Favourite and I can see the IOC persuading the Oslo 2022 Bid Team to carry on the Bidding Process, because it's surely there's to lose. Beijing is the IOC's insurance policy back up plan, just in case Oslo 2022 withdraws and Almaty has no chance. Almaty more than any other place is a Sochi 2.0. It's a lie to say that Almaty 2022 will be low cost, because it would be a high cost Games. The IOC don't want an Almaty 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, so what makes You think that You saying this gives Almaty 2022 a chance. They won't have 3 Olympics in Asia in a row, unless there is no other choice. Also, Almaty are only got the 2017 Winter University Games because they were the only Bidders. Almaty also had to CO-Host the much smaller Asian Winter Games with Astana. These are the Favourites IF they Bid for Future Summer and Winter Olympics:

2022 - Oslo, Norway is the Favourite.

2024 - Rome, Italy; Berlin, Germany and Paris, France are the Favourites if they all Bid. Rome, Italy would Win IMO.

2026 - Denver, United States Of America are the Favourites if they Bid.

2028 - Durban, South Africa are the Favourites if they Bid.

Yes Tony, we know exactly how you predict the hosts are going to line up for the 2020s. Honestly - do you have this on cut and paste so you can post it again and again on each and every day? What do you need more posts for if you're just going to post the same thing? You and GCL really do seem to have the notion that the more you repeat something, somehow that's going to make it more likely to happen.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Can we get a tally on how many times Tony has called Beijing an insurance policy? It must be in the 30s at least.

More like 50...

@FYI, who thought Baton Rouge was an Olympic Host City in the making? I can see a Pan-Ams or World Games at the most, but not for another ten or twenty years. Baton Rouge hosting the O Games is a truly laughable statement.

@FYI, who thought Baton Rouge was an Olympic Host City in the making? I can see a Pan-Ams or World Games at the most, but not for another ten or twenty years. Baton Rouge hosting the O Games is a truly laughable statement.

*cough* *cough* the guy with the initials of the city + the year in which it will host *cough*

Well, I at one time referred to Beijing as the IOC's 'insurance policy' in this race. It looks like since then, Tony has adopted the coin & has now runaway with it.

Ah yes. As soon as I posted that, I remembered how could I've forgotten the one that thinks Lake Placid's old high school could still accommodate the worlds media at a 21st century Winter Olympics.

• Like 1

The last thing the IOC needs is another $50 Billion dollar Winter Games after Sochi 2014, Beijing 2022 would require major works down in Zhangjiakou is an 3rd world city and not that develop in that part of China. Almaty is an beta world city and an developing sporting hub they will only need to build 2 venues and athletes and media village and IBC to host the games with some public transport and roads developments in Almaty they are hosting the 2017 Winter University Games which will be an big test event 5 years out from the 2022 Winter Games and hosted an Amazing Winter Asian Games in 2011 by the IOC.

• Like 1

A free gift for you GCL... take as many as you need.

0001.png

The Second Line to the left is called a Full Stop, not Period.

Anyway, GCL, Almaty is not Hosting. (FULL STOP). Almaty isn't a developing Sports Hub. (FULL STOP).

The Second Line to the left is called a Full Stop, not Period.

Anyway, GCL, Almaty is not Hosting. (FULL STOP). Almaty isn't a developing Sports Hub. (FULL STOP).

A little research shows me that "period" is what it's called in American and Canadian English, and "full stop" is what it's called in British English. You're such a close minded dimwit.

Edited by ofan
  • Like 2