Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

Well, generally and theoretically speaking, I think if the 2019 Panams go well, it could raise attention for Lima - not for 2028 or anytime soon, but as a city, it seems to have much more potential than those three former hosts just mentioned (though I love Santo Domingo, been there twice, but it's certainly a no-go for the Olympics, I'm still amazed they managed to get the Panams).

Peru has many issues to overcome and Olympic bidding shouldn't be high on their agenda, but one day far in the future, they might get there.

But this is the Beijing thread anyway, so I'll leave it here...

It helped Rio's bid yes, but it wasn't bcuz they hosted the Pan Ams. It was a vote of confidence for the IOC to see Brazil in action with an event similar to the Olympics. But it doesn't mean that hosting the Pan Ams automatically then makes you a contender for the Olympics. And the real allure of Rio was that it would've made it the first Games in South America.

Out of all the Pan Am cities, only Mexico City & Rio have become, or will become Olympic cities. You're never gonna see the Olympics in Indianapolis, Winnepeg or Santo Domingo.

Yeah I suppose that most of the cities especially the smaller ones will most likely never be able to win a games. I think I just worded it a bit to generally.

There's a difference between "cold" & Artic blast, below zero COLD. But I guess people that always glamorize &/or are use to white, sandy warm beaches can't quite dechipher the difference.

Hehehe...yes you are right. Being from sunny Sydney, where our snowfields struggle for a good snow coverage, the concept of a 'too cold' WOG does seem strange. I could imagine the Artic being too cold, or Mt Everest (though I went there last month on the Tibet side and it was quite warm) but Beijing mountains being too cold seems strange!

Well, generally and theoretically speaking, I think if the 2019 Panams go well, it could raise attention for Lima - not for 2028 or anytime soon, but as a city, it seems to have much more potential than those three former hosts just mentioned.

Peru has many issues to overcome and Olympic bidding shouldn't be high on their agenda, but one day far in the future, they might get there.

Oh, I agree. I was just countering the previous post that hosting the Pan Ams somehow makes you then 'capable' of hosting the Olympics, by their reference of Rio.

I'd rank Lima along with Guadalajara (&/or Caracas to a degree). And if we're gonna be gauging the Pan Ams as far as likely Olympic hosts the next time the Games are to return to South America, then the most likely contenders on that list I'd say are Buenos Aires & São Paulo,

Well then Baku deserves a Summer Olympics and Paralympics aswell, because they will Host the 2015 European Games.

Why don't we wait & see how these first, smaller scale, European Games turn out first before making such a declaration. And considering how Baku was the only bidder for the 2015 Euro Games, I don't see how that automatically makes them "deserving" of an Olympics.

Well, I could add to that list among Olympic cities in the future Chicago and Buenos Aires (for the real ones, not the 2018 category). Before Lima I expect Santiago.

Well, back to topic… With Nanjing being played now and have watched that boring OC, I think the IOC has real problems. Too much China and other Eastern Asian ones make me think no one in other place care any more hosting the Olympics.

Well, I could add to that list among Olympic cities in the future Chicago and Buenos Aires (for the real ones, not the 2018 category). Before Lima I expect Santiago.

Well, back to topic… With Nanjing being played now and have watched that boring OC, I think the IOC has real problems. Too much China and other Eastern Asian ones make me think no one in other place care any more hosting the Olympics.

The IOC will go to new places in Asia like tick of the only place in Central/South Asia which could host the Winter Games Almaty Kazakhstan 2022, Will go to South East Asia eg Bangkok Thailand, Jakarta Indonesia and Taipei Taiwan go to Tel Aviv Israel there are many places in Asia which could host the Summer Games, The 21st century is the Asian century. Europe is clearly on the decline now and most of it is now close to an civil war, You just have to get use to more Asian Olympics and Paralympics Games Europe is pretty much history in global dominations apart from Germany and Russia.even though Russia is having bad relations to the West they have lots of power in the up and coming world dominations Asia and Latin America.

Oh the irony of suggesting Tel Aviv or Bangkok, yet mentioning most of Europe is close to a civil war.

We could split hairs and of course Tel Aviv is not facing *civil* war, but surely even in Perth you know about the Israel/Palestine conflict? Or have heard about the Thai military coup, preceded by years of unrest?

• Like 3

The IOC will go to new places in Asia like tick of the only place in Central/South Asia which could host the Winter Games Almaty Kazakhstan 2022, Will go to South East Asia eg Bangkok Thailand, Jakarta Indonesia and Taipei Taiwan go to Tel Aviv Israel there are many places in Asia which could host the Summer Games, The 21st century is the Asian century. Europe is clearly on the decline now and most of it is now close to an civil war, You just have to get use to more Asian Olympics and Paralympics Games Europe is pretty much history in global dominations apart from Germany and Russia.even though Russia is having bad relations to the West they have lots of power in the up and coming world dominations Asia and Latin America.

You have no idea on the subject. Israel, Thailand and Kazakhstan ARE NOT Hosting the Olympics. England/Britain are still powerhouses of the World. Stop with Your obsession over Asia. 21st Century is not Asia's Century. Perth isn't Hosting either.

You have no idea on the subject. Israel, Thailand and Kazakhstan ARE NOT Hosting the Olympics. England/Britain are still powerhouses of the World. Stop with Your obsession over Asia. 21st Century is not Asia's Century. Perth isn't Hosting either.

The Asia pacific region forecast by 2050 by the IMF will have the 9 out of the top 10 economies in the world, The other 1 is in Europe and 2 if you put in Russia which is mostly in Asia but part of it is in Europe learn economics Tony.

Well, since the part 2 B/Z 2022 thread just got deleted when it was getting back on track; it seems that some are confusing the dire reality of the situation of the 2022 race VS should we be "skeptical" of the Chinese not overspending when Zhangjiakou is not that developed.

Well, when your choices are the one that you really want the most could potentially drop out (supermodel Oslo), & the other is an attention wannabe misfit (Almaty), then you have nothing left other than at least the reliability of the Chinese (Beijing). Skepticism or not.

• Like 1

Well, since the part 2 B/Z 2022 thread just got deleted when it was getting back on track; it seems that some are confusing the dire reality of the situation of the 2022 race VS should we be "skeptical" of the Chinese not overspending when Zhangjiakou is not that developed.

Well, when your choices are the one that you really want the most could potentially drop out (supermodel Oslo), & the other is an attention wannabe misfit (Almaty), then you have nothing left other than at least the reliability of the Chinese (Beijing). Skepticism or not.

Completely agree. I just read up that there is opposition to Almaty 2022. So GCL, Almaty certainly is far from perfect, in fact, the complete opposite.

Reality = Oslo is Favourite, Beijing is the IOC's insurance policy back up plan, Almaty is over.

Completely agree. I just read up that there is opposition to Almaty 2022. So GCL, Almaty certainly is far from perfect, in fact, the complete opposite.

Reality = Oslo is Favourite, Beijing is the IOC's insurance policy back up plan, Almaty is over.

NSS did you read the report? Aside from the Almaty bid be somewhat okay the IOC made it clear they were not going to Almaty.

The funny thing is, that one really didn't need the "report" to know that Almaty was anything but to be desired. It was only the fanatics, like GCL (& a couple of others) that thought Kazakstan was some sort of compelling place.

And yet even after the dismal preliminary report, GCL still foolishly thinks that Almaty is some sort of up & coming "global city & winter sporting hub". Just goes to show that the obvious still deludes even the most delusional.

The funny thing is, that one really didn't need the "report" to know that Almaty was anything but to be desired. It was only the fanatics, like GCL (& a couple of others) that thought Kazakstan was some sort of compelling place.

And yet even after the dismal preliminary report, GCL still foolishly thinks that Almaty is some sort of up & coming "global city & winter sporting hub". Just goes to show that the obvious still deludes even the most delusional.

Very disappointed in this post that it does not include the phrase "Almaty lovers" :P

• Like 1

How likely is it that Oslo could 'do a Denver', & hand back hosting rights having won the games? I ask this here because I guess Beijing would take over, but I don't know what the IOC would do.

Tough to tell, but I think it's unlikely. Once Oslo is named host, if the IOC gets any hint they might want to back out, they'll do whatever they can to keep them in the game. And no, Beijing would not be the replacement host. Think about how wary we are of their hosting the Winter Olympics if they're given the full 7 years to prepare for it. Doesn't help their cause to have less preparation time. I can't imagine the IOC coming to them in that scenario. More likely they go to a past host to fill in. In which case, I believe your 2022 Winter Olympics would be in Salt Lake City.

If Oslo is going to withdraw, I think they'll do it this winter. I don't see them winning and then giving the Games back.

I agree. The concerns with Denver in the 1970s were environmental more than anything. Oslo is more about money and a lack of desire to work with the IOC. As much as the public is opposed to bidding for the Olympics, and for good reason, I think if Oslo stays in the game long enough to bid and win, enough people will turn around on the issue that there won't be the kind of opposition to what we saw in Colorado 4 decades ago.

I agree. The concerns with Denver in the 1970s were environmental more than anything. Oslo is more about money and a lack of desire to work with the IOC. As much as the public is opposed to bidding for the Olympics, and for good reason, I think if Oslo stays in the game long enough to bid and win, enough people will turn around on the issue that there won't be the kind of opposition to what we saw in Colorado 4 decades ago.

The place where we part company is that I don't think the government can justify supporting this bid. I think the pressure is too great and I don't see them staying in the race. If they ignore popular opinion on this, I think the outcry will be tremendous.

Unless there's a miraculous surge of public support, I don't see Oslo making it to the final vote. Either the numbers change or they are toast.

• Like 1

This situation is about more than Olympic Games. The real question is whether the government is going to listen to the people it claims to represent or ignore them. Yes, in time (I'm thinking YEARS) the Norwegians could warm up to the idea of hosting again. But if they feel the government is brazenly violating their wishes, that's something that they won't get over and it will be a big mess. They will be so angry at being ignored that it will poison the notion of Olympic Games.

• Like 1

Very disappointed in this post that it does not include the phrase "Almaty lovers" :P

Oh please. Give me a fukcing break. We're talking about individuals who think that Europe is on the brink of "civial war" & that Perth is going to soon become Australia's "powerhouse city". Not to mention the others that believed Baton Rouge was an Olympic host in the making when they first joined. And let's not forget that loon 'politician' (or whatever his handle was) that was here for a bit spewing his at length rhetoric. And besides, it's not like you haven't been critical of their bid yourself. So :-P

Don't be so critical of Perth, they're getting a reasonable amount of infrastructure headed their way in the coming years. If they want to bid, no doubt they will present the strongest one possible at their first attempt.

Out of the potential Australian cities to bid for a Summer Olympics, it's Melbourne first, Brisbane if they're willing, then Perth. Remember, there was the crazy idea of Hobart making a bid for 2020 a few years back.