Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

Actually, Oslo is the most safe choice for the IOC in the short list. Beijing is the IOC's Insurance Policy and back up plan, just in case Olso withdraws. They won;t have 3 Olympics in a row in Asia unless there is no other choice. There is a choice at the moment, which is Oslo. Almaty stands no chance.

Actually, I don't think Oslo is a "safe" option any more. The IOC would vhave to factor in the likelihood of seven years of headaches and vociferous protests and opposition when weighing up whether to choose them or not (if Oslo lasts the distance and gives them the choice, that is).

• Like 1

Uhmmm...actually the city of Karuizawa, Japan - holds that title. In Tokyo 1964, it hosted the Equestrian events; in Nagano 1998, it hosted Curling. So technically, it is the first city on the planet to have been part of BOTH seasonal Games. It's also the city where the present emperor, Akihito, met his current empress, Michiko.

It just have been part...not host city...

No. But still it's been included in a Summer and Winter Games. And making Beijing a "winter" city is really a FAKE title because the true winter sports are held what? over 100km away? I don't consider that an honest-to-goodness 'winter' host city.

How is that different from Vancouver - and many other OWGs? SLC and Turin also.

I do think it's possible that after the shortlist announcement someone from the IOC said to the Chinese "hey, you may want to take this bid seriously because it's very possible you could end up winning."

Beijing 2022 began very quietly, as if it were a warm-up bid. It's only after the announcement of the shortlist that they started ramping up.

I think it's most likely that the Chinese did not expect to win 2022 when the race first began, but now find themselves in surprisingly good position and are ready to take advantage of it.

It seems even after the short list Beijing is still like an test bid, There is only 1 serious bid in this race and that is the Almaty Kazakhstan bid, Oslo Norway will drop out by the end of the year and if Beijing still like this by KL then Almaty Kazakhstan will win with Harbin China will take the 2030 winter games the IOC will want to take on an serious bid, Almaty Kazakhstan will only have to build 2 venues and reno 2 venues to host the games.

It seems even after the short list Beijing is still like an test bid, There is only 1 serious bid in this race and that is the Almaty Kazakhstan bid, Oslo Norway will drop out by the end of the year and if Beijing still like this by KL then Almaty Kazakhstan will win with Harbin China will take the 2030 winter games the IOC will want to take on an serious bid, Almaty Kazakhstan will only have to build 2 venues and reno 2 venues to host the games.

Its said by IOC that Harbin is too cold to host WOG, and the snow quality in Yabuli is not good enough. I don't know if it was true...So if it's true, Harbin will never host WOG.
  • Like 1

No chance. Almaty and Harbin has no chance, although Harbin has a tiny bit more chance then Almaty does. Look, Oslo is going to Host 2022. If they withdraw, Beijing will Host 2022. Look at reality. No one wants Almaty to Host, except for Almaty, You and Olympic Fan Darcy. Harbin will NOT Host. Almaty's Bid is not a serious Bid, it's a joke.

Its said by IOC that Harbin is too cold to host WOG, and the snow quality in Yabuli is not good enough. I don't know if it was true...So if it's true, Harbin will never host WOG.

Exactly. And I've mentioned a couple of times before that Harbin could just be brutally cold in the winter. And it wouldn't surprise if the IOC has mentioned this to China before. It could be one of other factors why their 2010 bid was rejected, & why we're now seeing this move with a Beijing winter bid instead. Even if it was initially a "warm-up" bid, why not just do it with Harbin anyway, if that was indeed their ultimate goal. The bid would've then gained experience. So in that sense, GCL's babble just makes no sense.

There is only 1 serious bid in this race and that is the Almaty Kazakhstan bid,

How can the extremely *weakest* bid be the most "serious" one. Do you always like to ignore facts. Or is that just better for you to do so over there in la la land. NO bid, other than perhaps Sochi (but even there, powerful Putin promised the IOC the world), that has received such a poor preliminary evaluation has gone on to win the whole thing. So as long as Beijing is in there (& even Oslo, cuz officially, they're still in, until they say otherwise), Almaty is nothing but left-overs.

• Like 1

Almaty wouldn't even be on the short list if the likes of Krakow, Munich, and a Swiss bid were in the race. Beijing might either. Given their scores, I suspect the only reason Almaty was kept was if Oslo were to drop out, they don't want to have only one candidate standing. I'd even go as far to say if the Krakow referendum passed that Almaty wouldn't have made the cut.

It's Oslo's to lose but Beijing is the insurance policy. The IOC knows they can count on the Chinese to deliver.

• Like 1

....yes we certainly don't want a cold winter games after Vancouver and Sochi proved athletes can do just fine on chemically treated and created slush and everybody just loves a rainy wet Olympic park!

526551729_214078692.jpg

sochi11_26.jpg?resize=950%2C633

t1larg.snowboard.refund.afp.gi.jpg

2010796630.jpgwarmest-olympics-vancouver_12746_600x450

628x471.jpg

even the summer games are getting into the soggy style...

article-1343594612505-14475b20000005dc-2

AN6615080A-spectator-shelte.jpg

I spend 6 to 8 weeks a year in alpine environments, often above tree line so I sorta get that cold/winter/snow thing too!

Never been to Harbin, and I guess it's very cold....maybe too cold, but it's just ironic that we haven't had a "wintery" Olympics for so long! When was the last one..........was Torino wintery?

...let's just be thankful there was a roof at BC place, or the stadium floor would have had more water than Athens ceremony.

p.s. I like a rugged rocky beaches too, or with pebbles, so many different kinds are nice. White powder is good for sure if the water is light turquoise it's a plus!

GCL, Your claims are false and unrealistic. You wonder why no one takes You seriously, is because You make claims like:

- Almaty, Kazakhstan is a growing City. (No it isn't).

- Russia and Kazakhstan are Democracies. (No, they aren't).

- Perth is the Powerhouse of Australia. (No, Sydney and Melbourne are).

- Lima, Peru will Host a Summer Olympics and Paralympics. (No they won't, they can't).

Facts:

- Hosting a Summer or Winter Universiade and Asian Games doesn't necessarily make You capable of Hosting the much Larger Summer or Winter Olympics, otherwise Brasilia, Taipei, Kazan, Shenzhen or Astana would be Hosting a Summer or Winter Olympics, but they aren't.

- Didn't You read up on public opinions and media stories in the build up to the 2014 Winter Olympics and Paralymics in Sochi. Re-read them, then see if Russia is a Democracy. Also, Kazakhstan is not a Democracy.

- Oslo is the Favourite to Host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, Beijing is the IOC's Insurance Policy and Back Up Plan. Almaty has no chance.

- Almaty had to CO-Host the much smaller Asian Winter Games in 2011 with Astana, for whatever reason, so what makes You think they can Host the much larger Winter Olympics and Paralympics by themselves.

- How does Harbin, China stand a chance when they failed to get Hosting Rights for the much smaller Winter Youth Olympics? No offence.

- Beijing and Shanghai are the only Cities in China with a realistic chance of Hosting a Summer or Winter Olympics, Beijing with the Summer or Winter and Shanghai with the Summer.

- Almaty, Lima, Anchorage, Baton Rouge, Perth and any other crazy ideas You have, won't be Hosting a Summer or Winter Olympics anytime soon.

• Sochi was practically located in the middle of nowhere, so public opinion don't matter
  • And since I'm in a defensive mood, right now, GCL never said Lima would host, but be a serious contender (<-- lol)

Some of your claims are also unrealistic. I won't even bother listing them, but just view this as a "friendly" nudge.

• Sochi was practically located in the middle of nowhere, so public opinion don't matter
  • And since I'm in a defensive mood, right now, GCL never said Lima would host, but be a serious contender (<-- lol)

Some of your claims are also unrealistic. I won't even bother listing them, but just view this as a "friendly" nudge.

With all due respect, My claims are alot more realistic than GCL's claims because:

- Rome = Before Rome, Italy withdrew from the 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Bidding race, Rome and Tokyo were the Favourites.

- Lima = Wouldn't be taken seriously and Hosting a Pan American Games and Parapan American Games doesn't necessarily mean You can Host the much bigger Summer Olympics and Paralympics.

- Oslo = Favourites to Host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, if they withdraw, everyone except GCL and Olympic Fan Darcy knows Beijing will Host.

- Almaty = Not a chance, not taken seriously and isn't Democratic as GCL claims.

- Krakow = MIGHT Bid for the 2030 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, if they do, they could be Favourites to Host.

- Harbin = No chance, lost out Hosting on the much smaller Winter Youth Olympics to Innsbruck.

- Dubai = Could be the First Middle Eastern Host, has the potential.

- Perth = Isn't the powerhouse destination in Australia. Sydney and Melbourne are the powerhouses of Australia.

- Lima = Wouldn't be taken seriously and Hosting a Pan American Games and Parapan American Games doesn't necessarily mean You can Host the much bigger Summer Olympics and Paralympics.

So if you host the Pan Am Games you are not fully capable to host the Olympics? Rio won and many know that hosting the Pan Ams really helped their bid. Toronto may do the same in the future since the Pan Ams will be the largest sporting event in Canada. In reality there is nothing stopping Lima from bidding and after Rio opens the door for more South American hosts when they hopefully host fantastic games, Lima will have and equal chance to host compared to any city.

...even London

So if you host the Pan Am Games you are not fully capable to host the Olympics? Rio won and many know that hosting the Pan Ams really helped their bid.

It helped Rio's bid yes, but it wasn't bcuz they hosted the Pan Ams. It was a vote of confidence for the IOC to see Brazil in action with an event similar to the Olympics. But it doesn't mean that hosting the Pan Ams automatically then makes you a contender for the Olympics. And the real allure of Rio was that it would've made it the first Games in South America.

Out of all the Pan Am cities, only Mexico City & Rio have become, or will become Olympic cities. You're never gonna see the Olympics in Indianapolis, Winnepeg or Santo Domingo.

• Like 1