Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

China's going to win...just watch. Beijing will be the first city in the world to host both the summer and winter games...were going back to China folks.

Wait one minute. A few months ago, You said Kazakhstan was going to Win. Make Your mind up.

Anyway, Oslo will Win. Oslo is the favourite and the strongest option, Beijing is the IOC's insurance policy and Almaty has no chance.

Oslo Norway will be pulling out of the 2022 bid race by the end of the year the IOC pushed the Norway government and I don;t think Norway will want to be push again by them in the same decade they still got Lillehammer Norway 2016 Winter Youth Olympics Games, That is enough for Norway for another Generation Beijing been there done that already and I don;t think the IOC want to be back in the same city 14 years later 2022 got Almaty Kazakhstan one it bring it to an new big market of 50 million in Central Asia and the gateway to China and India from Europe Kazakhstan has one of the fastest growing economies in the world and Almaty is transforming into an winter sporting hub and an beta world city up and coming global city.

Except, like, 70% of the events will be held in not-Beijing.

If i'm right it's 65%.

Beijing- ceremonies, figure skating, short track, ice hockey, curling, speed skating

Not Beijing- alpine skiing, bobsleigh, luge, skeleton, cross country skiing, ski jumping, nordic combined, biathlon, snowboarding (halfpipe, slopestyle, cross), freestyle skiing, paralel slalom.

6 in Beijing

11 not.

Wasn't having a go at you woohooitsme83. Just wanted to show that you weren't kidding when you said majority of the events aren't even in Beijing :lol::lol:

• Like 1

Just a pity it's a smog-ridden sh!thole.

Don't worry, they will just shut down the plants for a month before the games.

If i'm right it's 65%.

Beijing- ceremonies, figure skating, short track, ice hockey, curling, speed skating

I feel like those are the only events people here actually like.

Beijing been there done that already and I don;t think the IOC want to be back in the same city 14 years later 2022 got Almaty Kazakhstan one it bring it to an new big market of 50 million in Central Asia and the gateway to China and India from Europe

For the 1984 Winter Games, the IOC was virtually split between going to a repeat, recent host, Sapporo 1972 & Sarajevo. So I wouldn't dismiss Beijing as a 'been there, done that' simply on that basis alone. And don't conveniently forget that Almaty got a very POOR preliminary evaluation report.

Besides, 2022 is for a Winter Games, not a Summer Games, which that was what Beijing 2008 was. And if you wanna talk about a "big market"; Central Asia's 50 million compared to China's 1.4 Billion. So do the math.

Kazakhstan has one of the fastest growing economies in the world and Almaty is transforming into an winter sporting hub and an beta world city up and coming global city.

Lmfao, yeah right! That's why they got such a very POOR preliminary 2022 evaluation report from the IOC's working group, cuz Almaty is so "up & coming". :lol:

I was surprised by Almaty's preliminary report. I expected it to be better considering all their new construction and planning for the Asian Winter Games. I think it's possible the results were artificially manipulated to some degree, but the IOC would not go so far as to make a good bid look bad. I think it's probable that Beijing and Almaty were a bit more evenly balanced than the report suggests and that the IOC working group decided to help the membership see the light by exaggerating the difference -- at least somewhat.

Even so, I'm surprised and disappointed that Almaty didn't learn and improve more over the last eight years. I think this preliminary report makes it crystal clear that if Oslo falters, the IOC will choose China.

• Like 1

It's quite apparent that the IOC artificially manipulates preliminary results as they see fit (the 2016 short-list is the first to come to mind when it comes to that). But suggesting that the IOC would not go as far as to make a good bid look bad, would suggest that said bid was good in the first place. If the 2022 field was packed like initially thought just a couple of years ago (Munich, St. Mortiz, Stockholm & even the U.S. [at one point], etc), Almaty wouldn't have made this current cut.

This just suggests that the IOC doesn't seem at all interested in going to Central Asia. No matter how much some on here like to embellish their chances. And quite frankly, it doesn't surprise me one bit. There's no compelling reason, at this point in time, to go there, much like Baku. The IOC is in a bind with this race, & it's the only reason why they decided to cringe & include them in the final phase of this race anyway. As been said on here before, 'beggars can't be choosers'.

It's quite apparent that the IOC artificially manipulates preliminary results as they see fit (the 2016 short-list is the first to come to mind when it comes to that). But suggesting that the IOC would not go as far as to make a good bid look bad, would suggest that said bid was good in the first place. If the 2022 field was packed like initially thought just a couple of years ago (Munich, St. Mortiz, Stockholm & even the U.S. [at one point], etc), Almaty wouldn't have made this current cut.

This just suggests that the IOC doesn't seem at all interested in going to Central Asia. No matter how much some on here like to embellish their chances. And quite frankly, it doesn't surprise me one bit. There's no compelling reason, at this point in time, to go there, much like Baku. The IOC is in a bind with this race, & it's the only reason why they decided to cringe & include them in the final phase of this race anyway. As been said on here before, 'beggars can't be choosers'.

The IOC would not go so far to make a good bid look bad -- meaning Almaty wasn't a good bid to begin with. It might not have been quite as bad as the report suggests, but it certainly wasn't anything to get excited about either.

Of course if there had been better competitors, Almaty would've been cut.

Of course the IOC isn't excited about central Asia.

It seems that this Beijing bid is just an test bid for future China Winter Games not taking it seriously like Almaty Kazakhstan, The public in Norway is not behind it so they will be pulling out of it and by July 2015 the IOC will want to go with an serious bid, Almaty Kazakhstan will tick of Central and South Asia for the Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games eg been there done that this race is very much like the 1984 race.

China's initial intentions may have been a 'dry run' for 2022. But considering that nearly all of the credible & attractive bidders have bailed ship, & the only one left standing could pull out as well, China likely is now going to take this very seriously now. A first Winter Games in China is not a "been there, done that". And a market of 1.5 Billion by 2022, is nothing to simply ignore either. And judging by the IOC's preliminary 2022 evaluation, the Chinese aren't going to be ignored.

China's initial intentions may have been a 'dry run' for 2022. But considering that nearly all of the credible & attractive bidders have bailed ship, & the only one left standing could pull out as well, China likely is now going to take this very seriously now. A first Winter Games in China is not a "been there, done that". And a market of 1.5 Billion by 2022, is nothing to simply ignore either. And judging by the IOC's preliminary 2022 evaluation, the Chinese aren't going to be ignored.

At this point it is Oslo's to loose and I have a feeling the IOC will put up with any demands by the Norwegian people or government in order to keep them on board.

If they jump ship there is no need to even watch a live stream or care because we all know China will win.

• Like 1

At this point it is Oslo's to loose and I have a feeling the IOC will put up with any demands by the Norwegian people or government in order to keep them on board.

If they jump ship there is no need to even watch a live stream or care because we all know China will win.

Norway is IOC out after they push the Norway government for 2 years to host the 2016 Youth Winter Games in Lilliehammer they will still host them but it's clear people don;t want Oslo 2022 this bid will die an slow and painful death.

I think it will be an close race between Beijing China and Almaty Kazakhstan and will have an close vote in the only round of voting in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia I think you could be shocked when you wake up on July 31st 2015 which will happen early morning you're time in the USA when the host city for 2022 Winter Games get's picked.

Norway is IOC out after they push the Norway government for 2 years to host the 2016 Youth Winter Games in Lilliehammer they will still host them but it's clear people don;t want Oslo 2022 this bid will die an slow and painful death.

I think it will be an close race between Beijing China and Almaty Kazakhstan and will have an close vote in the only round of voting in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia I think you could be shocked when you wake up on July 31st 2015 which will happen early morning you're time in the USA when the host city for 2022 Winter Games get's picked.

Contrary to what I previously thought I will tell you right now that if Oslo goes Beijing will host, but you can be an ignorant fool if you would like. I really don't mind.

If i'm right it's 65%.

Not Beijing- alpine skiing, bobsleigh, luge, skeleton, cross country skiing, ski jumping, nordic combined, biathlon, snowboarding (halfpipe, slopestyle, cross), freestyle skiing, paralel slalom.

6 in Beijing

11 not.

Wasn't having a go at you woohooitsme83. Just wanted to show that you weren't kidding when you said majority of the events aren't even in Beijing :lol::lol:

This has been the split for almost all recent winter games. Heck, many of them didn't even have curling or long-track in the host city. SLC '02 only had, what, ceremonies, figure skating, short-track and some of the hockey in SLC.

As far as I can tell, nobody cared.

This has been the split for almost all recent winter games. Heck, many of them didn't even have curling or long-track in the host city. SLC '02 only had, what, ceremonies, figure skating, short-track and some of the hockey in SLC.

But I don't recall SLC having a solid number of venues 1hr+ away. Some venues will even be 2 hrs away (by car)! I'm guessing China feels that they can have the venues wherever cuz they could always build bullet trains, I suppose.

But I don't recall SLC having a solid number of venues 1hr+ away. Some venues will even be 2 hrs away (by car)! I'm guessing China feels that they can have the venues wherever cuz they could always build bullet trains, I suppose.

Which in turn may be used to spin the cost debate again, like with Sochi: Oh, the Olympics didn't cost that much, some infrastructure projects were necessary anyway, so we can't blame it on the Olympics...I can already hear Thomas Bach saying this.

Well let's not forget HOW SLC won those Olympic games... they could have proposed 1 venue in SLC and still won.

Well let's not forget HOW SLC won those Olympic games... they could have proposed 1 venue in SLC and still won.

Oh please. Even senior IOC member Dick Pound said that SLC didn't have to go to the measures that they did bcuz they had the best bid outta the 2002 lot anyway.

And let's not also forget that many bid cities were doing the same back then, including your very own Sydney. It was just that Salt Lake was the one caught with their hand in the cookie jar. And let's also keep in mind that it takes two to tango. The IOC was just as much to blame for all of that by TAKING the bribes in the first place.