Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

The capacities for the indoor arenas are weird:

National Indoor Stadium is listed as having 6,000 seats instead of 17,000

Wukesong has 10,000 instead of 10,000

Capital Indoor Stadium has 12,000 instead of 13,000

I'm a bit lost here, are they planning on actually REDUCING the capacities for the games? :blink:

They have to to fit an ice rink.

I think Geography, Politics and Environment are playing against Beijing right now. I just can't see the IOC awarding the games to Asia three successive times. The smog and pollution are worse than they ever were, I don't understand how people can live and breathe that air every day. I like the Applicant File and I do believe they stand a good shot of becoming a candidate city, but Beijing is going to be a runner-up this time around.

• 2 weeks later...

The main argument against Beijing is "three Olympics in a row in Asia." On the surface, that seems to be the case, but, given the way things are shaping up with Oslo and possibly Krakow, if Oslo is the next to bow out, the more I could actually see Beijing winning this thing. The IOC knows the Chinese can put on a successful Olympics. The indoor venues are more or less in place. Construction of a ski jump and sliding track would leave a legacy for the Chinese Olympic team. Finally, Beijing is pushing the "economical games" message. The pollution issue is vastly overrated. The government will take whatever measures necessary to clean the air for two weeks just as they did in 2008. Some will bemoan China's human rights record just as they did in 2008, but let's face it, human rights are a secondary concern for the IOC. Their number one priority is finding a city that fits for an Olympics. The human rights issue is not a factor.

I don't think three Asian games in a row is Beijing's biggest problem. It's their lack of history hosting/participating in winter sports events.

Also, the indoor ventues aren't so much in place. They've got some gyms that could be converted into ice rinks. That's about it. The only thing they really have is a ceremonies stadium.

And don't underestimate the polution worry. Just because they were able to get things cleaned up in 2008, doesn't mean they can clean up the worse problems of Feb 2022.

The pollution issue is vastly overrated. The government will take whatever measures necessary to clean the air for two weeks just as they did in 2008.

I honestly don't think so. The difference is that the pollution is much worse now than it was in 2008, these games are happening in winter when the Chinese people are going to need more energy for heating, and the ambient environmental issues will made it harder to cut smog in winter than in summer. Additionally the Chinese government is more bold now than it was in 2008, and may be less willing to make changes to accommodate the IOC.

I'm sure they COULD cut the smog, but the costs of doing so might be severe.

I agree that the IOC won't return to China because of the proximity of Beijing 2008, PyeongChang 2018 and Tokyo 2020, but I don't think that's the only reason. I keep saying it, but Environment Issues (Especially in the Winter), Human Rights issues, Communism Government and bad International relations with Macau, Hong Kong, Tibet and Japan will all play a role. Though some could argue that those issues didn't affect Beijing's successful Bid for the 2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, but I believe that the IOC gave China the benefit of the doubt. Now though, even after the Beijing Olympics and Paralympics in 2008, those issues are still existing. So I reckon that the IOC won't go back there for a very long time and when they do, I reckon it will be a Summer Olympics and Paralympics in Shanghai, China.

Again with that terrible discours. Or you're blind or you don't want to investigate before writing, Tony:

-For a tenth time: THERE'S NO CONFLICT OR ISSUE IN MACAU AND HONG KONG. What are you arguments for that? I want to read it, and see if the International Law and Geopolitics are wrong. Both countries have separate legal, economical and fiscal systems. The only issues where Beijing makes intervention is in international relations and military. It's almost similar to Puerto Rico (USA), New Caledonia (France) and Gibraltar (UK).

-Taiwan political situation is also responsability of other countries, including your dear England, who signed the pact recognizing the People's Republic of China as the ONLY legitimate China. If you want to blame the current situation of Taiwan, then blame ALL the parts.

-Japan isn't exactly the darling brother of the region, especially with current issues of historical revisionisms and territorial claims, And they still won.

Also, I don't even a fanatic of Beijing bid, but seriously this vicious circle especially by some people :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Beijing could be the hard one to see really why should the IOC they were just a 6 years ago and I think most IOC members will want to go to one of the most iconic winter cities in the world which is Harbin for the China 1st Winter Games. Beijing lacks winter sporting history and Almaty Kazakhstan has and will host the 2 of the 4 most important multi winter sporting events one of the fastest growing economy on earth. So I think it will be going like this for future Winter Games hosting Almaty Kazakhstan 2022 - Reno Lake Tahoe 2026 - Harbin China 2030 - Sarajevo Bosnia and Herzegovina 2034.

GCL, you've just listed four cities that I'm confident will not host in our lifetimes. No IOC member wants to go to Harbin orKazakhstan, Reno won't ever get it's act together, and there's no goods reason to return to BH.

Eventually there's going to be a Winter Olympics in China. That's going to happen in our lifetimes. Whether it's Harbin or Beijing, 1 of those is probably happening eventually.

Eventually there's going to be a Winter Olympics in China. That's going to happen in our lifetimes. Whether it's Harbin or Beijing, 1 of those is probably happening eventually.

Advantage Beijing: Facilities in place, extensive tourist infrastructure... airports, hotels, shoping, sights, etc, proven capacity.

Advantage Harbin: It's really, really cold

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking Beijing

one of the fastest growing economy on earth.

So basically Kazakhstan is on the same level of GDP growth like Nigeria, Angola, or Poland in the late 1990s.

So I think it will be going like this for future Winter Games hosting - Sarajevo Bosnia and Herzegovina 2034.

Sarajevo got really awfull notes in the 2010 bid process. What did make you think they'll improve their infrastructre, especially after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Southeast_Europe_floods

Almaty Kazakhstan has and will host the 2 of the 4 most important multi winter sporting events

Could you name those 4 winter multi-sporting events? Winter Universiade? Zakopane hosted it in 1993 and it didn't really help its 2006 OWG bid. Poprad hosted 1999 edition, and...?

^I'd take all of that with a grain of salt. It's nothing more than their usual, gross embellishments. Kazakhstan's economy is more or less equal to that of the Ukraine. But if we wanna talk about big, growing economies, then China wins that argument, hands down.

I've also read how Harbin get's brutally cold in the winter. Temperatures easily dipping well below zero for long periods. So I don't think that makes it very conducive as some might think, as ironic as that sounds, for a Winter Olympics there.

China does have some OWG currency: figure skating, freestyle skiing and short track. Not a major player, but not a development team country anyway.

The big barrier is that NO ONE associates Beijing with winter sport--everyone associates it with horrible air quality.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...