Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

Tokyo got it because they were, let's be honest, the only practical candidate. If we'd had Toronto, Paris, any sensible city in the US, or Durban, Tokyo would've had more chance than Istanbul or Madrid against any of them but they wouldn't have won.

Exactly. The Japanese won bcuz the IOC had no other credible choice, not bcuz having back-to-back Asian Olympics was an ideal scenario for them. The IOC doesn't wanna "tour" Asia anymore than they would any other continernt.

Not to mention, had Rome not withdrawn, they would've given Tokyo a good run for their money. And/or if it wasn't for Turkey's protests & the Syria issue so close to the 2020 vote, we'd be talking about Istanbul 2020 instead. Tokyo 2020 was nothing more than a good insurance policy for the IOC to have. They had to claim it. Beijing 2022 is going to be another insurance policy. Time will tell if the IOC will have to claim that one too.

But why tacos...

Back in 2009 I posted in the Rio 2016 thread a thread full of taco pictures - up to 10 pages if I remember correctly. It drew the anger of most of the Brazilians who were indignant I posted mexican food - but it shut them up if only for a brief amount of time. Thus the taco has become my weapon against rampant stupidity. I am sorry for derailing about 15 threads - however I was not the first who derailed the majority of them in the last few days. I don't want to bully the kid - however without endless verbal sparring that would just annoy you all a quick posted taco seemed to do the trick. Seemed to work (albeit temporarily).

Back on topic - I honestly believe the IOC have no interest in going to the "middle east" - Istanbul (and Doha) are both kind of wasting their time. The IOC got a very Mediterranean Games with Athens and thus the IOC probably thought Istanbul (and Madrid) wouldn't really make much of an impact. Yes I know Turkey isn't Greece - however geographically it is. Add in the local protests, further Islamisation of the Turkish culture and Syria and 2020 wasn't going to happen for them. Tokyo had Beijing as it's achilles heel - however the Japanese will not force feed nationalism like the Chinese - thus they had a very different Games aesthetic to offer. It really was no-brainer. Rome would have scored well in the first round however with the rest of Europe eyeing 2022/2024 there would have been some powerful bloc voting against the Italians.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After Stockholm Sweden pulled out in the race and if in an event that Oslo Norway does do to then Beijing China will be the city that will be the clear favourite to host the 2022 Winter Games, Beijing China have all the infrastructure in place just have to convert some venues used for the Summer for ice events and build another Athletes village that's all for in Beijing, The major works will be at Zhangiakou where they will build everything from a sliding centre, ski jumping and all the snow events stuff and build up the city more which the Chinese can do easy.

WHAT?! :blink: What happened to your wonderful, darling Almaty?! I thought according to you, they were more than a done deal, & now this! Are you having a tony moment over there. lmfao :P

I'll be more impressed when his thoughts are expressed in actual, coherent sentences.

Beijing is only in the running to prepare themselves for 2030. I predict they will bid for 2022 and 2026 fully expecting to lose, but will consider it a victory if they gain sympathy in the meantime. It's easier to deny China for the 1st time in 2030 than it is to deny them for the 3rd time in 2030.

Beijing is the IOC's 2022 insurance policy. They'll win if the IOC needs them to win. They're not gonna look at it if they'd be a perfect fit for 2030 or not. I'm sure after Stockholm's recent pull-out, the Chinese are now salivating at the mouth for more fallen applicant casualties.

Beijing 2022 wouldn't be so bad - in fact right now its looking more and more appealing. It has amazing venues, the outdoor venues are out of the city itself so smog wont be as much an issue (admittedly it is worse in winter).

A third Asian Olympics would be a lot, but not impossible. Given that Europe did it with 1992, 1992 and 1994 its not entirely unrealistic - Europe is a bit of a basket case nowadays, and this is the Asian Century.

I also think it could be a nice change of tune to see a non-European city surprise us all and cross the Summer-Winter divide. Beijing's Olympic Park is wonderful, and would make a great setting for a Winter Games.

If Beijing wins, it's a nice bonus for them. In any regular race with a good bid or two, they wouldn't stand a chance. But that seems to be the way of the races these day- good bidders dropping out after the initial deadline, and the longshots end up seriously challenging. Regardless, the point is moot as long as Oslo stays in the race.

Beijing 2022 wouldn't be so bad - in fact right now its looking more and more appealing. It has amazing venues, the outdoor venues are out of the city itself so smog wont be as much an issue (admittedly it is worse in winter).

A third Asian Olympics would be a lot, but not impossible. Given that Europe did it with 1992, 1992 and 1994 its not entirely unrealistic - Europe is a bit of a basket case nowadays, and this is the Asian Century.

I also think it could be a nice change of tune to see a non-European city surprise us all and cross the Summer-Winter divide. Beijing's Olympic Park is wonderful, and would make a great setting for a Winter Games.

Fair enough if you find the idea appealing. I respect that.

Personally I find the idea appalling. And not for any political sympathies - I for one was happy enough for them to host the summer games and am not anti-Sochi. I welcome the notion that hosting puts one's country an city up to the glare of scrutiny and global discussion, for good or ill. But I do think that in a climate where so many reliable an capable potential winter bidders are being scared off by cost and scale, the idea of such a huge megalopolis getting the WOGs is definitely NOT the way to go after all the criticisms and cynicism around Sochi's grandiosity. It's the last example the Olympic movement needs at the moment... IMO.

A Harbin WOGs I could handle. Beijing makes me bilious.

Edited by Sir Rols

If China goes with Harbin, it will be more insane and over-engineered than Sochi. Going with Beijing is the modest option. From what we gather, there will be few - if any - new venues built within Beijing itself, and the outdoor venues will be built at a second Olympic Park at Zhangjiakou - which I expect to have a similar, slightly garish flavour to Sochi's mountain cluster.

I disagree that going with Beijing is sending the wrong message - if anything it is building on the legacy of 2008 and making good use of existing facilities.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't think the notion that the WOGs are now a Beijing-scale event is a good look for the Olympics.

Even if a bid that's not my favourite wins, I can usuLly accept it. If Beijing won 2022 I'd be disgusted and disillusioned.

Edited by Sir Rols

Cold winters are a big part of Beijing's identity, as much as the warm summer like in 2008.

Zhangziakou from Beijing is about 200km - compared to Whistler to Vancouver - 125km. So its not like they are just doing "only because' its Beijing, the capital.

Harbin would require a huge amount of resources to get it up to the stands of Beijing (hotel rooms, subways, indoor venues) plus its potential outdoor venues are spread out - compared to Zhangjiakou which would have them all in the one resort - probably linked by an upgraded, faster train down into Beijing (I've been very near to Zhangjiakou, it is on the other side of the mountains that the Great Wall runs along - so it is also very iconic).

The other option is Jilin City - which like Harbin would require a lot of investment, but is probably more compact than Harbin.

I get that people find the idea of Beijing 2.0 a little jarring, but I genuinely think it is China's most sensible option. They're not going to host the Summer Olympics again soon, they're building their Winter Sports, and Beijing has the goods on its doorstep - so why not?

If I am being completely honest, Beijing is the 2nd Strongest Bid, behind Oslo, but Beijing and Almaty won't have a chance as they won't have 3 Asian Olympics in a Row.

If I am being completely honest, Beijing is the 2nd Strongest Bid, behind Oslo, but Beijing and Almaty won't have a chance as they won't have 3 Asian Olympics in a Row.

If Norway government does not support the bid then we will be seeing Beijing China hosting the 2022 winter games where ever you like to see Asia hosting 3 in a row or not Beijing is an stable option in a time in of uncertainty.