Slovak Report On Joint 2022 Winter Bid

GBModerator

* We can get into all sorts of fun semantic debates as to what consituties another country. Scotland is another country from England, though both counties are part of the BOA from an Olympic standpoint. Hong Kong competes in the Olympics under a separate NOC from China.

Yes, we could. But realistically, we're talking within IOC strictures here. The IOC only recognizes the BOA which represents the British Isles. Yeah, HKG has its own OC but administratively, they will march to Beijing's tune and Beijing can shut them down anytime they want to. And it can fold anytime just like the Macau OC did. How about...USA - PR - Guam?

U're just being argumentative for argument's sakes. Those pseudo-countries and left-over, redundant NOCs are set-ups left over from pre-WW2 - when the IOC (and the Misses Universe, Int'l, etc. likewise) want/ed as many pseudo-countries 'participating' so it could create the illusion of great universal acceptance and membership. The IOC is just slow in shutting them down and they (the IOC) are having a harder time finding large enough halls to host their Sessions with all 200+ NOC delegations attending.

Y bother with bi-national bids when there are those that'll happen w/in one set of borders? Based on their 2002 experience, FIFA will NOT entertain another bi-national bid. (The Euros are diff.) So why should the IOC??

C'mon, who're you kidding. <_<

Just brush the environment factor aside, clear a couple of 100 or so trees to form a course and build a ski lift. ;)

I always find it quite disturbing that when it comes to environmental factors, you seem to consider it a nuisance to be brushed aside so a potential bidder can come up with a nice grandiose plan to suit your taste in venues and how a two-week party should be organised.

Not me personally, but that seems like the way the IOC would go about it, they're happy to be hypocrites if you will so their sacred games can remain in one country. Well at least that's the way I interpret it. Otherwise PyeongChang would have to had look elsewhere for their Men's Downhill run as that is supposedly being held in a national park.

But of course, should Poland bid with Slovakia, they're not going to win anyways.

It's common for cities to change their venue plan after winning, but what would be too radical would be if Poland bid on it's own, then decided after a potential win that it wants to move some events to Slovakia just to save on money or what not.

You just posted that China did exactly that with Equestrian. But it would be "too radical" for Poland to do it????

Yes, you are right.

I've read Olympic charter and it said;

"34 Location, sites and venues of the Olympic Games

1. All sports competition must take place in the host city of the Olympic Games, unless the IOC Executive Board authorises the organisation of certain events in other cities,sites or venues situated in the same country. The Opening and Closing Ceremonies must take place in the host city itself. The location, sites and venues for any sports or other events of any kind must all be approved by the IOC Executive Board.

2. For the Olympic Winter Games, when for geographical or topographical reasons it is impossible to organise certain events or disciplines of a sport in the country of the host city, the IOC may, on an exceptional basis, authorise the holding of these in a bordering country."

I completely understood you Krakow can candidate. Good luck! ;)

2. For the Olympic Winter Games, when for geographical or topographical reasons it is impossible to organise certain events or disciplines of a sport in the country of the host city, the IOC may, on an exceptional basis, authorise the holding of these in a bordering country."

I completely understood you Krakow can candidate. Good luck! ;)

Understandably. But it's the ONE-country bids that win.

You just posted that China did exactly that with Equestrian. But it would be "too radical" for Poland to do it????

Yes, if they bid alone, then decide after they've won to team up with Slovakia to save money etc, because they have a venue ready to go.

Archived