Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

PyeongChang 2018 Paralympic Emblem Unveiled

Ill give em points for consistency with the Olympic brand, but really, have any of the past Paralympic logos been amazing. I think maybe with the exception of Athens and possibly Sydney, most have been pretty average.

I think , like the Olympic logo, this one will look far better when in a mono tone, rather than the multi coloured look.

I had another look at the Olympic logo vid issued when that was released, the logo actually looks halfway decent in one colour on Olympic overlay/flags/ski gates etc etc

The straight lines fight with the curved agitos horribly.

I like that contrast. I noticed also how the colours on the two stars form the Paralympic colours - red, blue and green.

It is interesting and minimal. It is not supposed to be busy like Nagano, Sydney or Atlanta.

Lets wait until we get a bigger picture of the branding before we go dismissing it. From what we've already seen, it might be one of the most original yet - very Korean.

Even by taking a look at design blogs - a great deal of the response has been positive towards the potential for this brand to grow and evolve. Personally, I think it is going to be an extremely distinctive and iconic Olympics. In a way, it harks back to the brave design choices that graced the Olympics of the 60s and 70s before the onset of the brash and glittering 80s and 90s design.

Here are some great examples of how it will be applied:

we are sure to have some wonderful pictograms

pyeongchang_2018_02_icons.jpg

torch relay logo hint?

pyeongchang_2018_04_icons.jpg

this is what mattygs pointed out:

pyeongchang_2018_05_flags.jpg

pyeongchang_2018_09_stuff.jpg

PyeongChang_addl_02.jpg

Without a doubt, 2018 will produce some interesting posters.

PyeongChang_addl_01.jpg

Below is the link to the source of the images + some interesting discussion regarding the look and logo of the Games (with some equally valid, and educated negative perspectives of it also)

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/winter_olympics.php#.UnWrBCgrzw_

Ill give em points for consistency with the Olympic brand, but really, have any of the past Paralympic logos been amazing. I think maybe with the exception of Athens and possibly Sydney, most have been pretty average.

I think , like the Olympic logo, this one will look far better when in a mono tone, rather than the multi coloured look.

I had another look at the Olympic logo vid issued when that was released, the logo actually looks halfway decent in one colour on Olympic overlay/flags/ski gates etc etc

Vancouver's was pretty decent.

vancouver-paralympic1.jpg

I like that contrast. I noticed also how the colours on the two stars form the Paralympic colours - red, blue and green.

It is interesting and minimal. It is not supposed to be busy like Nagano, Sydney or Atlanta.

Lets wait until we get a bigger picture of the branding before we go dismissing it. From what we've already seen, it might be one of the most original yet - very Korean.

Even by taking a look at design blogs - a great deal of the response has been positive towards the potential for this brand to grow and evolve. Personally, I think it is going to be an extremely distinctive and iconic Olympics. In a way, it harks back to the brave design choices that graced the Olympics of the 60s and 70s before the onset of the brash and glittering 80s and 90s design.

torch relay logo hint?

PyeongChang_addl_02.jpg

PyeongChang_addl_01.jpg

Below is the link to the source of the images + some interesting discussion regarding the look and logo of the Games (with some equally valid, and educated negative perspectives of it also)

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/winter_olympics.php#.UnWrBCgrzw_

I think you have just shown WHY it won't be carried on numerous artwork, posters and various applications. :wacko::P

torch relay logo hint?

PyeongChang_addl_02.jpg

PyeongChang_addl_01.jpg

I can dig the branding IF it actually looks like that. There were all sorts of cool ideas for London that never materialized.

As a logo, I still think it's incredibly weak. It pales in comparison to the potential of the supporting branding.

I can dig the branding IF it actually looks like that. There were all sorts of cool ideas for London that never materialized.

As a logo, I still think it's incredibly weak. It pales in comparison to the potential of the supporting branding.

Perhaps. But that's an opinion- which is why I think this is one of the more interesting logos of late, with discussion ranging from it being an underwhelming failure to an understated master stroke . Much of the opinion on that design blog seemed to believe in the latter.

I think it is a logo scheme that will be dependent on the look of the Games, so we should all hold off before writing it off. I think those pick up stick patterns (clouds, mountains) will look wonderful at venues.

Perhaps. But that's an opinion- which is why I think this is one of the more interesting logos of late, with discussion ranging from it being an underwhelming failure to an understated master stroke . Much of the opinion on that design blog seemed to believe in the latter.

I think it is a logo scheme that will be dependent on the look of the Games, so we should all hold off before writing it off. I think those pick up stick patterns (clouds, mountains) will look wonderful at venues.

Show that logo to 10 people off the street and tell me what they say.

i get extremely weary of the "art is in the eye of the beholder" argument. Post-modern relativism sucks.

But it's minimal in a rather maximal, old-fashioned way. Distinctive artwork at the top; place-name & date below that; games name below that; agitos below that. Just tedious.