Lima 2019

intoronto

Toronto handover was boring, but it wasn't terrible. Santiago, on the other hand...

tumblr_mu288b6fFd1s8jk2wo1_500.gif

Srly, who thought this was a good idea? Especially when Lima closing ceremony was a full spectacle of folklore and tradition (And the closing was a much better show). Good thing it was short. Tokyo showed us how to make a really modern handover without losing traces of national identity or culture. But reggaeton, really?

Still considering this is from the same team who made the opening ceremony of Copa America 2015... 

This was the whole opossite of Tokyo handover. While Rio closing was so boring/dull the 2020 handover was actually what saved that ceremony, the Santiago handover was so bad it almost wrecked the good effort done by peruvians. Chile should really just rely to Fivecurrents or Marco Balich again for their ceremonies since their national show production shows are absolute crap as seen already in the Copa America  ceremonies (2014 Odesur was okay though). Peru 2019 left big shoes to be filled for chileans, ceremonies-wise.

I loved the CC, and all panam games.

Every moment of this will last forever in my memories, since the OC passing by all the achievements from atletes until de CC

The closing ceremony was sweet and decent, it showed part of the folklore and traditions and the light off of the cauldron was emotive.

And about the Santiago handover: 

Firtly, i'm glad and i value very much that Santiago wanted to show as a modern and nice city, cultural references can be saved for the opening ceremony.

The bad side of the segment was about how was made. If you quit the hymn, the segment loses identity because the musical genres played were too general, too urban and can be easily put for any city in latin america.

In ssc i read that the producer of the segment was Icardi Producciones, and with a fast view on its website, i found -in my opinion- that their perfomances were suitable for concerts and shows with little stages, and acoording to this, the reason for the dull segment (without the hymn), was that they didn't know what the closing ceremony was about, or even no one of them watched segment like the London 2012 or Tokyo 2020 for getting ideas of how modernity can be showed in events like the panam games.

16 hours ago, Roger87 said:

Toronto handover was boring, but it wasn't terrible. Santiago, on the other hand...

tumblr_mu288b6fFd1s8jk2wo1_500.gif

Srly, who thought this was a good idea? Especially when Lima closing ceremony was a full spectacle of folklore and tradition (And the closing was a much better show). Good thing it was short. Tokyo showed us how to make a really modern handover without losing traces of national identity or culture. But reggaeton, really?

Still considering this is from the same team who made the opening ceremony of Copa America 2015... 

And you were right, Icardi producciones made it.

http://www.icardi.cl/category/galeria/galeria-2015

And what is more, this case of Lima 2019 cc & Santiago 2023 Handover is similary to the cc of Barcelona 92 and Atlanta 96 handover.

As a fan of the Olympics and ceremonies, I have the obligation to say that Santiago handover was the worst I ever seen!!! for any event worlwide:

They gave that "task" to a Chilean producer company which was the same that created the horrifying opening ceremony of 2015 Copa America...

Indeed it was NOT and handover, but a coreography and a mini concert... I have got the information that that producer company, called "Icardi" (keep it in mind), DID NOT ANYTHING and gave all the creation and poerformance to Power Peralta pop-dance duo who, clearly, in their lives have never watched how a handover is....

We started walking completely with the left foot... 

We had fresh in mind the recent handover ceremonies: Lima in Toronto and Tokyo in Rio... But Santiago in Lima was a complete shame!!!

Simply THEY DID NOT KNOW HOW TO DO IT... THEY HAD ANY IDEA OF IT... 

Anyway, yesterday was the flag welcome celebration at Santiago..

4 hours ago, Nacre said:

Did many people in Chile watch the closing ceremonies? Maybe they felt it was a waste of money to provide a "real" handover ceremony if few Chileans would watch?

The Pan Am Games were covered by 2 closed paid channels, by free on digital platforms and one open national TV channel, so many people had access to watch the Pan Am Games.

The open national TV Channel that covered the games was sucessful in rating nubers at the time they aired the Games... it did not transmited the Closing ceremony (but did all the other platforms) since it was the time of its Prime Newscast. Nevertheless, at the time of the Handover presentation they transmited live from Peru... 

It does not have to do with the audience who watched the closig ceremony, but only organizers who relied in a Producer company who doesn't know how to work on international events...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Random thought, but am I the only one who thinks that Lima 2019 was the only multi-sport event to have a "perfect" set of four ceremonies? Like, all of the ceremonies were top-tier and enjoyable (even the Parapan closing, considering it was held at the much smaller athletics stadium instead of the National Stadium). Other multi-sport events usually have one or two really good ceremonies while the rest are decent but not quite there (or they're downright atrocious)