Lima 2019

intoronto

At last, an official press release from ESPN on their coverage plans for Lima 2019:

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2019/07/espn-deportes-brings-together-more-than-50-commentators-analysts-reporters-for-the-xviii-lima-2019-pan-american-games/

ESPN Deportes Brings Together More than 50 Commentators, Analysts, Reporters for the XVIII Lima 2019 Pan American Games
ESPN Deportes Pan American Games
Coverage Starts Wednesday, July 24 with Beach Volleyball 
 Victoria Peris  15 hours ago
Opening Ceremony Streaming Live on the ESPN App Friday, July 26
ESPN Deportes’ Javier Frana and Mercedes Margalot Join The Pan American Torch Relay
As the countdown of the XVIII Lima 2019 Pan American Games (July 26 – August 11), ESPN announce a robust lineup of more than 50 on-air personalities reporting from Lima, Peru in-studio in Bristol, CT, and Mexico City, throughout the tournament. The team of commentators and analysts will provide unmatched, daily coverage in English and Spanish with experts reporting from Lima and the support of the rest of team presenting in-studio coverage around the much-anticipated multinational, multisport event.
ESPN Deportes’ talents will come together in Lima to provide multiplatform content. The diverse roster reporting from site include, Andrés Agulla, León Lecanda, Paulina Garcia, Tlatoani Carrera, and Bernardo Osuna. Antonietta “Toni” Collins will serve as the onsite bilingual reporter and Carolina Guillén, Carolina Padrón and Ricardo Puig will serve as studio hosts from site.
Friday, July 26, former Argentinean athletes and ESPN Deportes analysts, Javier Frana and Mercedes Margalot, will participate in The Pan American Torch Relay which is traveling through districts of Peru. The journey ends at the National Stadium, where the Opening Ceremony for the Games will take place. José Ramón Fernández, Heriberto Murrieta and David Faitelson will serve as the commentator team for the Opening Ceremony.
ESPN Deportes commentator list for XVIII Lima 2019 Pan American Games:
Archery: Antonio Valle (play-by-play); Antonio Rodriguez, and former athlete Eduardo Vélez (analysis)
Athletics: Fernando Palomo (play-by-play); Víctor Pochat, and former athlete Raúl Gonzalez (analysis)
Baseball: Ernesto Jerez, José Francisco Rivera (play-by-play); Fernando Álvarez, Luis Álvarez, (analysis)
Basketball: Jorge Eduardo Sánchez; F. Álvarez, E. Jerez (play-by-play); Fernando Tirado, Arturo Guerrero Amowitz (analysis)
Beach volley: Sergio Dipp, E. Varela, and M. LaFountain (play-by-play); Eitan Benezra, Marina Contreras (analysis)
Boxing: Pablo Viruega (play by play); Devlin Rodriguez (analysis);
Cycling Road and Velodrome: F. Tirado (play-by-play); Alexandra Giuseppina Grasso (analysis)
Diving: Mauricio Pedroza (play-by-play); former athlete Cristina Millan (analyst)
Equestrian: JF. Rivera (play-by-play);
Fencing: A. Valle (play-by-play); A. Rodriguez (analysis)
Gymnastics: Heriberto Murrieta (play-by-play); former athlete Estela de la Torre (analysis)
Handball: A. Pareja (play-by-play); R. Sierra (analysis)
Judo: E. Benezra (play-by-play); Alex Pombo (play-by-play)
Karate: E. Benezra (play-by-play); former athlete Iridia Salazar (analysis)
Men’s Soccer: Jorge Pietrasanta, Roger Valdivieso, Richard Méndez, and Ricky Ortiz (play-by-play); 1978 World Cup champion, Mario Kempes, Barak Fever, Alex Pareja (analysis)
Modern pentathlon: F. Palomo (play-by-play); V. Pochat (analysis)
Table tennis: A. Pareja (play-by-play)
Taekwondo: J. Pietrasanta (play-by-play); Adal Franco, Salazar (analysis)
Tennis: A. Parejas (play-by-play); former athlete Jose Luis Clerc (analysis)
Triathlon: F. Palomo (play-by-play); V. Pochat
Volleyball: P. Viruega, LaFountain (play-by-play); M. Contreras, E. Varela (analysis)
Weightlifting: Guillermo Celis (play-by-play); Leopoldo Gonzalez (analysis)
Women’s Soccer: R Méndez, Robert Sierra and Tito Manriquez (play-by-play); Carolina de Las Salas (analysis)
Wrestling: G. Celis (play-by-play), L. González.
ESPN Deportes will broadcast live coverage from the XVIII Lima 2019 Pan American Games across linear and digital platforms, including gymnastics, track and field, diving, men’s and women’s soccer, swimming, boxing, volleyball, basketball, baseball, weightlifting and judo, among other sports. More than 200 hours will be televised on ESPN Deportes, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3 and over 900 hours of Spanish coverage will stream live on the ESPN App.
The XVIII Lima 2019 Pan American and Parapan American Games is the second-most important sporting event of the Olympic Circuit. The 2019 edition marks the first time that the event is held in Lima, Peru. Overall, the XVIII Lima 2019 Pan American Games will include 19 days of competitions held in 14 districts of Lima and Callao, Peru, across numerous venues.

Another press release from ESPN with more details of their coverage on all of their channels/platforms in both Spanish and English:

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2019/07/208143/

ESPN to Offer Multimedia Coverage of the XVIII Lima 2019 Pan American Games
ESPN DeportesESPN DigitalPan American Games
 Santa Brito  

Up to 200 hours of exclusive live coverage in English and Spanish across ESPN Platforms  
Opening Ceremony on ESPNU and Streaming Live on the ESPN App, Friday, July 26 at 8 p.m. ET
ESPN will provide unmatched, daily coverage of the 18th edition of the Pan American Games live from Lima, Peru Wednesday, July 24 – August 11. Coverage of the Games will be featured across ESPN platforms in English and Spanish, including ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3, and the ESPN App. ESPN’s coverage will be highlighted with live telecast of the Opening Ceremony airing live on ESPNU (English) and the ESPN App (Spanish) at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT.
How to watch the XVIII Lima 2019 Pan American Games:
With Lima as the backdrop, ESPN will bring 18 months of preparation to life with up to 200 hours of exclusive, live coverage in English and Spanish, across ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3, the ESPN App and ESPNdeportes.com
ESPN Deportes will telecast 200 hours of live Pan American Games content, every day starting at 9:30 a.m. ET., featuring soccer, swimming, diving, track & field, boxing, basketball and gymnastics. The live telecasts will be complemented with news and information programming throughout the day, followed by a nightly edition of SportsCenter recapping the top highlights of the day
ESPNU will present over 200 hours of daily live coverage in English, featuring Men and Women’s hoop and volleyball, diving, swimming, gymnastics, boxing, track and field, and soccer
ESPN3 and the ESPN App will carry 900 hours, with live access to almost every competition in Spanish. Select coverage will be available in English
Coverage will feature a team of more than 70, including reporters, commentators
ESPN Deportes’ talents will come together in Lima to provide multiplatform content. The diverse roster reporting from site include, Andrés Agulla, León Lecanda, Paulina Garcia, Tlatoani Carrera, and Bernardo Osuna. Antonietta “Toni” Collins will serve as the onsite bilingual reporter and Carolina Guillén, Carolina Padrón and Ricardo Puig will serve as studio hosts from site
English-language commentator team includes former Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper, Shaka Hislop, as well as world-class athletes including, Bart Conner (play-by-play), Jamaican volleyball coach O’Neil Ebanks (analyst), Rowdy Gaines (color commentator), Kathy Johnson Clarke (color commentator), Jill Montgomery (color commentator), Dan O’Brien (color commentator), Cynthia Potter (color commentator), Dwight Stones (play-by-play) and Cat Whitehill (color commentator)
Former athletes and ESPN Deportes analysts, Jared Borgetti, Javier Frana and Mercedes Margalot will be among the group of athletes participating in The Pan American Torch Relay which is traveling through districts of Peru with the journey ending on July 26 at the National Stadium, where the Opening Ceremony for the Lima 2019 Pan American Games will take place
Seven camera crews will be reporting from the different venues simultaneously
ESPNdeportes.com will include the latest news and information surrounding the competitions, athletes, and each country with exclusive content, video highlights, live chats with the experts on site, and live scores
The ESPN Deportes social team will bring fans images, stories and information throughout the event, on the @ESPNDeportes handle on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can join the conversation using #PanamericanosxESPN.
The XVIII Lima 2019 Pan American and Parapan American Games is the second-most important sporting event of the Olympic Circuit. The 2019 edition marks the first time that the event is held in Lima, Peru. Overall, the XVIII Lima 2019 Pan American Games will include 19 days of competitions held in 14 districts of Lima and Callao, Peru, across numerous venues.

There isn't much that I would trade from my 2015 experience, but this look is so much better.

Great to see so much coverage on the ESPN family of networks. It has its downsides though. I decided to subscribe to Sling for a month to get ESPN Deportes since a tech would have to stop by and re point my dish to get the channel via satellite. Turns out you can't use the DVR function or fast forward or rewind for ESPN Deportes on Sling. Also the streams on ESPN3 and the ESPN app are not archived for on-demand viewing. I also needed my Sling subscription to be able to watch any of the Spanish streams. I guess I just need to set the DVR for ESPNU on my satellite when I can't watch live, just like the old days of Olympic TV before you could watch anything at anytime.

As of yet, I have not seen a mobile app to follow the Games, that is sort of a must anymore.

2 minutes ago, neneu10 said:

Apparently Balich loves these weird shapes on the floor like he did in Rio 

Stage designer is apparently the person who did the Baku 2015 stage. Though this doesn't seem as complex as that one. Perhaps the mountain structure they built has some surprises for us?

Pic related is the Baku stage.

6_1250.jpg

3_1250.jpg

I have seen some leaked stuff of the opening in Instagram. All I can tell you is the ceremony is actually very reminiscing of Rio 2016 at times, except replace the favela stage with an andean mountain. Don’t expect anything beyond this world but its actually pretty good considering its small budget.

18 hours ago, 2018 said:

As in the opening ceremony?

Actually the graphic look. I wouldn't trade my opening ceremony experience for anything, it will always be one of the most memorable experiences in my lifetime. I know those who are more into the artistic presentation didn't think much of it but, being culturally naive, they could have replaced Cirque du Soleil with thecombination of the Mummenschanz mime troupe and Up With People and I still would have found it memorable.

1 hour ago, BTHarner said:

Actually the graphic look. I wouldn't trade my opening ceremony experience for anything, it will always be one of the most memorable experiences in my lifetime. I know those who are more into the artistic presentation didn't think much of it but, being culturally naive, they could have replaced Cirque du Soleil with thecombination of the Mummenschanz mime troupe and Up With People and I still would have found it memorable.

I agree with the look. LIma 2019 is miles ahead without a doubt.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:11 PM, BTHarner said:

There isn't much that I would trade from my 2015 experience, but this look is so much better.

Great to see so much coverage on the ESPN family of networks. It has its downsides though. I decided to subscribe to Sling for a month to get ESPN Deportes since a tech would have to stop by and re point my dish to get the channel via satellite. Turns out you can't use the DVR function or fast forward or rewind for ESPN Deportes on Sling. Also the streams on ESPN3 and the ESPN app are not archived for on-demand viewing. I also needed my Sling subscription to be able to watch any of the Spanish streams. I guess I just need to set the DVR for ESPNU on my satellite when I can't watch live, just like the old days of Olympic TV before you could watch anything at anytime.

As of yet, I have not seen a mobile app to follow the Games, that is sort of a must anymore.

Gonna be honest.. I literally had absolutely no idea the Pan Am games were going on until I came across an ad.  Wasn't even sure if ESPN was covering it and neither of the 2 press releases give much in the way of a schedule.  Shows where this event falls on the spectrum of importance in the United States.  May check out some of it tomorrow, but I'll be spending most of my Olympic sports viewing this weekend on NBC with the Tour de France and the FINA World Championships.

16 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Gonna be honest.. I literally had absolutely no idea the Pan Am games were going on until I came across an ad.  Wasn't even sure if ESPN was covering it and neither of the 2 press releases give much in the way of a schedule.  Shows where this event falls on the spectrum of importance in the United States.  May check out some of it tomorrow, but I'll be spending most of my Olympic sports viewing this weekend on NBC with the Tour de France and the FINA World Championships.

There was absolutely no promotion on any of ESPN's English-speaking outlets and that is indicative of where the event ranks on the sporting hierarchy. Many friends my age remember them from the 70s and 80s (before the international sports calendar got glutted with more frequent and lucrative World Championships and the like) when CBS would broadcast the Games, but had assumed that they no longer existed because there was no English coverage from 1995-2003 and just snippets since. The amount of coverage on ESPNU is just fortunate timing since they have a lot of time to fill during the down period in the college athletic calendar. 

Ironic that you had no idea about the Pan Ams, I was the same way about the Tour de France, I was totally oblivious to it until I saw the headlines about today's stage being shortened by hail.

The day i've een waiting for years has come.

Although the weather isn't sunny, there isn't as cold considering we are in winter. The atmosphere is quite because from today until tuesday are holidays for the panam games and for national independence which make people go out the city for journey.

And i want to give very special thanks to nacholympic and ikarus360 for putting the topic up to date. I was pending about the games but in ssc, and the development of this wan't easy. 

If i can say something about the spoilers, i hope it will be good as a low cost OC, and also i hope it won't be too much dependent  of the floor proyections as Rio 2016, and the "mountain stage", i see more as the andes in general than machu picchu.

5 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

#OpeningCeremonySpoiler

SPOILER

I love the little references to previous hosts concluding with Lima as it's their (and Peru's) first time hosting such a huge event like this.

Parade of nations now. So far, I really like this opening ceremony. Full of soul and I can tell peruvians put a lot of effort and love on it. Congratulations so far to everyone and also to Marco Balich (was scared of him after the dissapointing Universiade opening but it seems he got a better budget/team here :lol: )