Lima 2019

intoronto

On 9/5/2018 at 9:53 PM, intoronto said:

The Ceremony producer will be Balich Worldwide. They produced Torino opening/closing Ccremonies, Sochi Closing (and Para opening/closing) and also contributed to Delhi 2010 opening.

Sorry for being out of topic but can anyone confirm that Balich has an ongoing trial in Italy right now? Indonesian media recently informed that Balich has a financial problem and a trial which is already finished in first level court at Italy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tickets finally went on sale today. Prices are lower than 2015, which is to be somewhat expected even though I saw a report that listed Lima as one of the more expensive cities in Latin America. Several sports, including rowing and canoe/kayak are free. I would be nice to do a second consecutive Pan Am games, but other matters will force me to follow them at home. I would be a little peeved if I were going because the ticketing website lists the basics like date, time, and place for the various sessions, but no other details. How would somebody to wants to see a certain event final know which session to purchase?

I totally low my expectations for ceremonies in Lima, sadly... I really thought that they could have their really strong point on them, but it won't...

Anyway, Lima follows the worldwide tendency of doing low cost ceremonies and create a show totally prepared for TV audiences... some of them could have a great result, as it happened in Gold Coast in 2018... Even the 2018 Olympics and Paralympics had low budgets and simple ceremonies... 

I think, from now on,  we can only expect breathtaking ceremonies at Chinese style for countries which just need to do a big show of them.. such comunist or dictatorships countries, as we could see in Ashgabat or Baku... And we could might have one a new one in Minsk and Beijing in 2022.

For the next Pan Ams in Chile, the Organizing Committee had recently said that the total budget for the games would be almost the half of the one used at this point in Lima... so... you should  not expect great ceremonies either... 

Rio 2016 demostrated that with a low budget you can do something spectacular... a great show for TV, but totally far from the wow effect we had between 2008 and 2015 ... the new tendencies for ceremonies, the Brazilian "gambiara" has reached all over the world: to do something great from almost nothing....

• 3 weeks later...

They talk about general information about the Opening Ceremony. Nothing we don't know so far: Liis Fonsi as the star guest (probably singing "Despacito"), The enterprise which produces the ceremonies: Balich Worldwide and they mention the previous ceremonies it has produced, since Salt Lake 2002 to Sochi 2014, they make a little criticism of the long and sometimes tedious of this kind of ceremonies and mention that "those enterprises are still in debt with the rhythm of those shows".... Nothing new... 

Lots of information regarding the opening ceremony, including names of the staff and singers involved were unveiled at a press conference. 

https://www.gacetaucayalina.com/2019/07/revelan-espectacular-ceremonia-de-inauguracion-de-los-juegos-panamericanos-con-artistas-peruanos-e-i.html

The name of the Opening Ceremony is "Alucina Perú" 

Article basically confirms what we already knew, Balich Worldwide being the executive producers of the show (really hoping it's better than the fiasco which were the Universiade ceremonies tbh). It also says there will be around 1700 performers on stage, and it will focus heavily on Peruvian history. The new names confirmed are:

- Vania Masias: Peruvian choreographer, has experience in Broadway directing "Chicago" in 2012. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vania_Masías_Málaga

- Lucho Quequezana: Music director for the ceremonies. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucho_Quequezana

- Pepe Corzo: Dress designer https://pepecorzo.tumblr.com/

- Pauchi Sasaki: Peruvian-japanese violin solist, will be one of the main performers of the night https://www.pauchi.com/

-Elliot Tupac: Artist/muralist which will also be involved in the ceremonies: https://www.elliottupac.com/

- Composer Jimmy Lopez, and singers Guillermo Bussinger , Sandra Muente, Shantall Young y Pelo D’Ambrosio will also perform.

- Peruvian tenor Juan Diego Flórez will be one of the main protagonists of the opening ceremony.

According to Vania Masias, "This is the time of Peru. It is a historical moment. We are going to make Peru fashionable. We want the country to vibrate and also the world. It is the most important artistic challenge in which I have participated. It will be wonderful because we will show what we are as a country, " she said.

The renowned creative director Francisco Negrín is responsible for directing the opening ceremony and, for this, he has traveled more than a year touring Peru to get to know more of the country and thus capture in the ceremony a millennial and modern Peru. Next to him works Thanassis Demiris, Greek stage designer recognized for his work at the opening of the European Games Baku 2015.

For those who are curious, Demiris is the one who designed the Baku 2015 stage:

4_1750.jpg

"I have the responsibility and I am very afraid of having to present Peru to the world and the Peruvians, not being Peruvian. Through the creatives who came together little by little to the team, we managed to understand what they really needed to say about their country and how they wanted to present their country. "

"What we want is that with this ceremony the world really hallucinates with Peru, but also that the Peruvians, and the Lima people in particular, are proud and see things of their own country that they had never seen with those eyes. Therefore, the Opening Ceremony is called Alucina Peru, using the language of the street, "said Negrin.

Negrin told some details of what the ceremony will be. "In the opening we will present the main cultural and natural aspects of the country. This duality between culture and nature. We present it in a very theatrical, poetic and spectacular way.

Also part of the creative team, Dimitra Kritidiki, a choreographer with extensive experience, after her participation in the ceremonies of Athens in 2005, Sochi 2014 and the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games, will supervise the staging of dancers. In this luxury team also participates Luke Halls, director of videos that has collaborated in the tours of Adele, Beyoncé, U2 and Rihana; and Adam Basett, lighting designer, who has extensive experience in theatrical productions and special events around the world.

There has been no official announcement from ESPN, but I have been checking out the schedules for all of their channels on their website and I found the following Pan American Games telecast times there. ESPN2 will have coverage on the first weekend, but most of the coverage will air on ESPNU, including the opening and closing ceremonies. ESPN Deportes will once again air Spanish-language coverage throughout the games. (BTW: TV Record has the Brazilian broadcast rights and I have not been able to locate any information of coverage in Canada.)

All Time ET and subject, of course, to change:

ESPN2

Sat. 7/27 - 10 AM - 1 PM and 9:30 PM - 11:30 PM

Sun. 7/28 - 1 PM - 3 PM

ESPNU

Wed. 7/24 - 10 AM - 4:30 PM

Thurs. 7/25 - 10 AM - 4:30 PM

Fri. 7/26 - 10:30 AM - 3:00 PM and 8 PM - 11:30 PM (Opening Ceremony)

Sat. 7/27 - 1 PM - 3:30 PM and 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM

Sun. 7/28 - 10 AM - 1 PM and 4 PM - 12:30 AM

Mon. 7/29 - 9:30 AM - 10 PM

Tues. 7/30 - 11 AM - 10 PM

Wed. 7/31 - 5:30 PM - 12:30 AM

Thurs. 8/1 - 11 AM - 8:30 PM

Fri. 8/2 - 11 AM - 12:30 AM

Sat. 8/3 - 11 AM - 12:30 AM

Sun. 8/4 - 11 AM - 1 AM

Mon. 8/5 - 11 AM - 11 PM

Tues. 8/6 - 11 AM - 12:30 AM

Wed. 8/7 - 9 AM - 11:30 PM

Thurs. 8/8 - 10 AM - 12 AM

Fri. 8/9 - 10 AM - 12:30 AM

Sat. 8/10 - 10 AM - 1 AM

Sun. 8/11 - 10 AM - 4 PM and 8 PM - 12 AM (Closing Ceremony)

ESPN Deportes

Wed. 7/24 - 10 AM - 4:40 PM

Thurs. 7/25 - 10 AM - 4:40 PM

Fri. 7/26 - 9:00 AM - 6:30 PM and 12 AM -3:30 AM (Opening Ceremony on tape delay)

Sat. 7/27 - 9:30 AM - 5 PM and 10:00 PM - 12:00 AM

Sun. 7/28 - 10 AM - 2:45 PM and 5 PM - 7 PM

Mon. 7/29 - 9:30 AM - 11:30 PM

Tues. 7/30 - 11 AM - 7:50 PM

Wed. 7/31 - 11 AM - 9:50 PM

Thurs. 8/1 - 11 AM - 12:30 AM

Fri. 8/2 - 10 AM - 12:30 AM

Sat. 8/3 - 11 AM - 12:15 PM and 10 PM - 12:30 AM

Sun. 8/4 - 10 AM - 1 AM

Mon. 8/5 - 11 AM - 3 PM and 5 PM - 12:30 AM

Tues. 8/6 - 11 AM - 7:50 PM

Wed. 8/7 - 9 AM - 9:50 PM

Thurs. 8/8 - 10 AM - 12:30 AM

Fri. 8/9 - 10 AM - 12:30 AM

Sat. 8/10 - 10 AM - 4:30 PM and 10 PM - 11:30 PM

Sun. 8/11 - 10 AM - 4 PM and 8 PM - 12 AM (Closing Ceremony)