Flagbearers

Lene Nielsen about to receive the Danish flag upon the announcement

Bd3-kECIEAAuaXO.jpg

https://twitter.com/mhcopenhagen/status/422773835696705536

Maria Kirkova and Zana Novakovic will carry, respectively, the Bulgarian and Bosnian flags. Both are alpine skiiers

Hong Kong's sole Winter Olympian, short track speed skater Pan-To Barton Lui, carries its flag

Albania's President Bujar Nishani gives the Albanian flag to skiier Erjon Tola to carry for Sochi

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2014-01/31/c_133086039.htm

Alpine skiier Benjamin Raich carries the Austrian flag as part of the Sochi 2014 Team Austria sendoff in Vienna

http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/view/story/7894513a76c446c495ab9338c6b36888/OLY-Austria-Olympic-Team

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speed skater Jon Eley will be the British flagbearer at Sochi 2014's opening ceremony on Friday.

The 29-year-old will be competing in his third Winter Olympics.

Eley, from Solihull, said carrying the flag would be "an amazing privilege and a moment that I will treasure for the rest of my life".

He takes over from Sir Chris Hoy, who carried the flag at London 2012, and Shelley Rudman, who had the honour at the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver.

BBC

It's kinda odd and corny. Why have the country sign on the woman's body/dress?? It's :wacko: . So I wonder how they'll fit in:

- Bosnia-Herzegovina?

- Islamic Republic of Iran?

- Former Yugoslav Province of Macedonia???

i think they took the idea from this

face_dresses1.jpg

but i do agree that sochi's a bit restrictive to the person wearing it

It's kinda odd and corny. Why have the country sign on the woman's body/dress?? It's :wacko: . So I wonder how they'll fit in:

- Bosnia-Herzegovina?

Very odd indeed. It looks like Sochi's downsized version of Albertville's snow globe girls. And those girls in Sochi don't even seem to enjoy their dresses - but who could blame them?

Albertville 1992:

0321opening-v6.jpg

- Bosnia-Herzegovina?

Sochi wants to be inclusive. Bring on the fat ladies!

I thought the dress was nice. The signs were weird.
I was wondering if anyone know of a pic of Iran?

She had a longer skirt under and it looked really nice.

wow Iran requested the placard bearer be covered up? wtf

It's TOTALLY ridiculous. But I guess that's an advancement. In Seoul in 1988, they threatened not to march if their placard bearer was a woman--and they were fully dressed in those native Korean costumes. And the thing is, they're marching BEHIND her -- not in front of the p.b. The Org committees shouldn't really put up with such bullsh*t.

Do we know they requested it? Or maybe the organizers decided themselves to do that to avoid a scandalisation of a no-story? Because that's what it is IMHO, a no-story. Hardly anyone probably noticed...

Don't know if they asked or the bearer asked, but it was quite stylish. I didn't notice her hair, but all it was was a longer skirt under the skirt. They went with something flared at the bottom instead of a straight or a-line. It was really nice which is why I am looking for a pic.

Archived