Flagbearers

I'd imagine ours will be Amy Williams since she was the only medallist we had last time out.

amywilliams.jpg

I hope ours is Amy Williams Rob. Come on Team Great Britain!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She is not competing so I think that is doubtful ;)

I would imagine it will either be silver medallist from torino Shelley Rudman again, or otherwise I don't know if we have any long-term athletes who are deserving? Maybe some skier or curler who is at their third or fourth games?!

http://world.time.com/2014/01/09/no-indian-flag-at-sochi-opening-ceremony/

A bureacratic snag will force India’s Olympic athletes to wave a generic flag at the opening ceremony of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, rather than the orange, white and green.

Yahoo News reports that Indian athletes are fuming at their Olympic Association for its sluggish response to a corruption scandal in December of 2012 that froze India’s membership in the International Olympic Committee.

The IOC gave India until February 7 to vote in new, untainted leadership, but India’s Olympic Association scheduled a vote on February 9, two days after the opening ceremony. As a result, India’s athletes will have to parade as “independents” under a generic Olympic flag.

Shiva Keshavan, a luger in the upcoming games, called the association’s refusal to expedite the vote “sad and pathetic.”

Read more: No Indian Flag at Sochi Winter Olympics | TIME.com http://world.time.com/2014/01/09/no-indian-flag-at-sochi-opening-ceremony/#ixzz2puoNDE2b

this make the lady during london2012 look like a minor gaffe

Hayley Wickenheiser would make a fabulous choice as Canada's flagbearer. Would she get it? She's going to her 6th Olympics including that Sydney 2000 appearance in softball. Not as dominant as she was from 1998-2010. But still vital.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/12/23/hayley-wickenheiser-proud-to-be-considered-flag-bearer-for-sochi-olympics

Some might have presumed since this was in Russia this time a Russian NHL star would have the honor to carry the flag. Forget it! Wouldn't happen anyway with the NHL still active when the OC starts in Sochi. Then, only Russia's KHL contingent are in place. And I really don't think the NHL will allow its players to leave early, as part of its agreement with the IOC and IIHF.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/no-nhl-star-carry-russian-flag-sochi-opening-165653181--nhl.html

Malta will have skiier Elise Pellgrine carrying its flag

DALLAS -- Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara will carry the Slovakian flag for the Olympic opening ceremony at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

It likely means Chara will miss one or two games for the Bruins leading up to the NHL's Olympic break. The opening ceremony is Feb. 7, and the Bruins have games against St. Louis on Feb. 6, and Ottawa on Feb. 8.

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli and his staff are in support of Chara missing time to carry his country's flag.

"[Chara] talked to us about that, came to Peter and I and addressed it, and Peter approved it, and certainly with my support," Bruins coach Claude Julien told reporters at Thursday's morning skate. "When you look at what Z has done for this club, I think it's an easy decision to make, because you're carrying your country's flag at the Olympics.

"And even if he misses a game and maybe two, I think that's the least we can do for a guy who's given us so much since he's been here."

Chara will play in his third straight Olympics and again be the captain for Team Slovakia.

Chara thanked the Bruins for the opportunity to leave the team early to carry his country's flag.

"They really made this possible," Chara said of the Bruins' front office. "I thank the Slovakian Olympic organization for giving me the honor. It's a lifetime experience and it's very humbling and I'm honored to do that."

Chara wasn't sure on whether he will miss one or two games.

"I don't know exactly the dates," Chara said. "I'm sure I'll miss one game. The possibility of just missing one game. We'll see how it goes."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/10307410/boston-bruins-zdeno-chara-carry-slovakian-flag-olympic-opening-ceremony

Hayley Wickenheiser, a Canadian women's ice hockey legend set to compete in her fifth Winter Olympics, will carry the flag for her homeland in next month's Sochi Games opening ceremony.

Canadian Olympic officials announced on Thursday the selection of Wickenheiser, who has helped Canada's women win three Olympic gold medals and one silver, most recently taking gold on home ice in 2010 at Vancouver.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hockey-star-wickenheiser-carry-canada-flag-204115378--nhl.html

Bit surprised they went with Wickenheiser (third women in a row for a winter games, she just lost the captaincy of the Canadian team), but its hard to argue its a good choice. Six times Olympian in two sports, four times medallist, three times Olympic champion, seven times world champion. Its quite the resume.

German NOC boss Hörmann is apparently contemplating to give the job to Claudia Pechstein, our highest decorated winter athlete.

She'll take part in her 6th Olympics, though could have been her 7th if she hadn't had this little "problem" with her blood tests a year before Vancouver. She's behaved like a raging bull ever since and now even after suing half the world even suggests herself as flag bearer. A job she refused back in 2006 ("I'm not here for that.")...

I would be appalled if she got the job, but rumour has it they will pick biathlete Andrea Henkel. Decision one day before the OC.

Bit surprised they went with Wickenheiser (third women in a row for a winter games, she just lost the captaincy of the Canadian team), but its hard to argue its a good choice. Six times Olympian in two sports, four times medallist, three times Olympic champion, seven times world champion. Its quite the resume.

4th staright female winter olympian flag bearer for Canada. Catriona LeMay Doan in Salt Lake, Danielle Goyette in Torino and Clara Hughes in Vancouver

Archived