The Cauldron

OK, this is who I think might light the Sochi cauldron(s):

some of their greatest Winter names:

Figure Skating - Irina Rodnina; Alexei Yagudin, Katya Gordeeva

Hockey - Tikhonov. Tetriak(sp?), Ovechkin?

- there must be one or 2 from the biathlon, X-country disciplines...

Of course, Vladimir rasPUTIN might just appropriate the honor for himself...

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Ah so; it's being tested already. I can see how fierce the winds are (look at the flags).

No; WFInsider does not belong here. Otherwise, s/he would flood this site w/ their fotos. I don't believe we have any active Russkies (or Chechnyans ;) ) here. The farthest East we have are a few Poles and the Turks.

And who was the Doubting THomas here who was thinking this was all a...to use a pun....ruse?? ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

/\/\ Banish that thought!! It's NOT allowed in Russia!! U could get arrested!! ;)

But seriously, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Almost any tall structure (i.e., obelisk, etc.) can be viewed as phallic.

i know that it looks more than the usual phallic shaped object.

i'm still crossing my fingers for a double cauldron situation

Hmmmm... I still have doubts whether that really is the cauldron. ;):D

Seriously, even if it's not necessarily the most beautiful cauldron in Olympic history (it really reminds a bit of those bombastic Soviet concrete monuments, at least from that backward perspective, with those walls besides it), it's not off-putting and serves its purpose.

And once the Olympics & Paras are over, that whole complex will be pretty much a ghost town---except when there are concerts-- or just a photo opp for Russian tour groups. I mean, Sochi's year-round population isn't even 350,000.

Well, that settles it:

14608766.jpg

(from SSC, WFInsider, the one who's been responsible for most Sochi updates. Is he/she on this forum?)

Aren't the flagpoles a little too close to each other? Or did they allow for some 82 country entrants...thus the corresponding # of flagpoles in that Plaza??

And once the Olympics & Paras are over, that whole complex will be pretty much a ghost town---except when there are concerts-- or just a photo opp for Russian tour groups. I mean, Sochi's year-round population isn't even 350,000.

F1 12th October 2014....

F1 12th October 2014....

OK, they'll have 1 event in 2014. (See, Rob, FI or any of these car races thing isn't even on my radar.)

(Is 2014 timed for the Anniversary of the 1917 Revolution? How utterly Bolshevik!!) But to have 4 medium-sized stadia there after the Games--and which will really just provide a backdrop for the FI races, I mean???

Bear in mind that this Coastal Cluster isn't really in Sochi. It's 30km away, at more-or-less the furthest south point of maritime Russia (not counting the polluted Caspian Sea), on about the same latitude as Cannes / St. Tropez. With a bit of smart development and marketing, potentially it could become the Russian Orlando.

PS: That tube running the full height of the Cauldron tower does very much add to the phallic impression. Of course it could just be some sort of perfectly innocent gun-barrel.

Bear in mind that this Coastal Cluster isn't really in Sochi. It's 30km away, at more-or-less the furthest south point of maritime Russia (not counting the polluted Caspian Sea), on about the same latitude as Cannes / St. Tropez. With a bit of smart development and marketing, potentially it could become the Russian Orlando.

PS: That tube running the full height of the Cauldron tower does very much add to the phallic impression. Of course it could just be some sort of perfectly innocent gun-barrel.

Didn't realize it's that far south of downtown Sochi. So that's going to make it even more of a dead thing. And I guess the area doesn't have beaches to use in the summer? So aside from a university there, I think that Coastal Cluster will see very limited use.

Didn't realize it's that far south of downtown Sochi. So that's going to make it even more of a dead thing. And I guess the area doesn't have beaches to use in the summer? So aside from a university there, I think that Coastal Cluster will see very limited use.

The beach is shingle, which isn't ideal- but Orlando isn't even by the sea. They've got the airport and other transport; they've got the hotels; don't be too surprised to hear, if Disneyland Paris finally gives up the ghost, that all the rides have been bought by Russian oligarchs for reinstallation at Olympic Sochi ...

Aha, it's like Athens - a HUGE version of the actual torch. And that barn looks like it does open. This has to be one of the least secretive cauldron areas ever - the polar opposite of London.

Absolutely. I think the secret this time is the link between events within the stadium and a cauldron which can only be seen from outside the stadium (also the polar opposite of London, which may be very deliberate). If they've got any sense, the link will be big, bold, imaginative and surprising.

Will The Sochi Organising Committee announce where it will be located before the Games or at The Opening Ceremony? I am guessing Opening Ceremony?

I'm starting to doubt that this is the cauldron. I think it's too simple to be the cauldron, especially if the Russians are attempting to be the "Beijing of the Winter Games." I'm feeling a "Orbit Tower" vibe from this, in that it's a red herring that everybody thinks will be part of the cauldron then ends up having nothing to do with it. If you look at the construction shot, where it's sitting next to the stadium doesn't seem to line up in anyway with the stadium's openings and which would make for a really anticlimactic lame cauldron lighting. I think they have another trick up their sleeve that we won't see until February 7.

Nice time to recall this. WHERE is Nemo??? :wacko::wacko:

73753231_mxQCyqqTZeptWBW9bhhWCI0DvKy41Jk

The cauldron is pretty much a big size replica of the torch. Since the torch is inspired on the Firebird feather i think this doesn't help to hide they'll use it as a theme for the lightning of the cauldron.

Also due to the distance between the cauldron and stadium i guess they'll do something like the Shenzhen 2011 Universiade.

/\/\ Gosh, I hope they got their fill of the "flame-outs" during the Relay. Or is that practice for the Big Thing as well? :blink: The "feather" theme doesn't work as well on that huge neck-looking thing.

Overall, Sochi 2014 has really had very "mediocre" designs IMHO -- from the logo...to the torch, the overly busy "Look;" an uninspired cauldron design. I bet the design jobs went to firms with strong Putin connections. <_< Too bad... So far, I think 2018 has better designs than 2014.

Edited by baron-pierreIV