The Cauldron

True, I don't know the concept yet I shouldn't have included that. Im waiting to be blown away by a lighting that will bring a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

Thought I'd take another look at the pictures. It seriously looks so cheap, I can't comprehend not being appalled by that cladding. Its 2014, they have a bank load of cash to throw at it, its actually making me quite mad.

And I can't comprehend how one can be appalled by the cladding. I think that's a matter of personal taste, but I actually like such a patterned kind of cladding - and it doesn't sloppy or even loose at all to me. Or might you as design expert point me to the details that indicate that it's actually sloppy? Because I simply don't see it.

Just thinking - this is probably the first Olympics were the Olympic flame can be viewed not just in the host country - but a neighbouring one. Parts of Georgia are closer to the Olympic Park than downtown Sochi itself. It would be like Buffalo, NY hosting the Olympics and the cauldron being visible from Ontario.

Good observation - also by you, Kenadian. I didn't fully realise how close the Georgian border is to the Olympic Park. So I guess that will mean a big cheer for the Georgian athletes during the opening ceremony - or a very small one, due to the Russian-Georgian conflict in 2008? In any case, I wish them another big reception at a Winter Olympic opening ceremony, and this time under much happier circumstances than four years ago after the tragic death of Nodar Kumaritashivili.

Sorry, Kumaritashvili

And I can't comprehend how one can be appalled by the cladding. I think that's a matter of personal taste, but I actually like such a patterned kind of cladding - and it doesn't sloppy or even loose at all to me. Or might you as design expert point me to the details that indicate that it's actually sloppy? Because I simply don't see it.

Never claim to be a design expert, never actually done that, just stating it makes me sad and mad.

The eye likes order and repetition. Random small shapes a much darker color and that are all different shapes sizes appearing to my eye totally hap hazard for me doesn't cut the mustard.

Exhibit A: Athens 2004, slick & pretty much seamless

rfu8.jpg

Exhibit B: Sochi 2014. I rest my case

8z79.jpg

I would also like Barcelona 92 to be taken into consideration, a cauldron decades earlier looking slicker and sexy

lnc7.jpg

Concerning the sochi ligtning method WE all saw on Instagram -

i think (not sure though) that the flame will kind of travel around

the stadium roof, and not on the direct way out of this shad (?)

= lets call it the 'torino-method' - because on one side of the roof i

could see the same black gas-things as on the cauldron.... its all

on instagram... but again = just a thought!

One Week To Go!

2_PMNy_TS.jpg

Concerning the Cauldron Design

I am a Designer myself, mainly in the field of Graphic design, Arts and Fashion -

(i do teach at a renowned Art and Design School in Belgium) I think that the Sochi

Cauldron makes a good effect from far, but have to agree that the close ups and

the disney like fountain show + neon lights look very very bad taste!

All in all - we came a far way from the Garmish-Partenkirchen 1936 industrial tank like

cauldron - up to this newest spacecraft version!

My own personal fav. are still both of the 1992 Summer and Winter cauldrons;

i do remember that in Albertville there were several ones, one on each competition site -

Athens - perfectly well integrated in that Calatrava roof

London - all about the gesture, the ligntning, the symbolic level of what it all stands for

Lillehammer - not so much about the cauldron > more about the torch!!!

Nagano - what an ugly mess that was... i do hope they get the 1964 one out for 2020!

Salt-Lake - no comment!

Sydney - no comment! star trek meets technical problems during the show...

Torino - the stadium didn't match with the nice cauldron shape!

Vancouver - no comment (disney-galore) + technical problems during the show...

and then all the older ones;

Munich, Montreal, Mockba, Lake Placid, Sarajevo, Calgary, Seoul (poor doves) etc etc -

Well the simplicity of the Munich Cauldron still stands out by far...

Don't forget a could cauldron = the spot it stands on

+ the stairs that lead up to it

+ the lighting method

;)

but again - as the french say:

"Les goûts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas" - there is no accounting for taste -
1621879_10_HD.jpg
Garmisch Partenkirchen 1936
558340_10150966174291312_1729917212_n.jp
Munich 1972
TLillehammer_photo_2_HD.jpg
The Lillehammer Torch
1621676_10_HD.jpg
Grenoble 1968
1268049_10_HD.jpg
Albertville 1992

** a GOOD not a 'could' cauldron :)) cheers

• Like 1

some cauldron lightings have nailed the emotional climax in different ways: London, Athens, Salt Lake, Sydney, Atlanta, Barcelona...

others, in my opinion, fell very, very flat: Vancouver, Beijing, Turin (oh god, Turin) and Lillehammer (a member of the Royal Family? No thank-you.) are ones that stick out for me.

I expect Sochi's to be shaded by people's perception of the greater forces at play in Russia. I really can't see myself being moved by anything on Februrary 7. Impressed, sure, but moved, nope.

i'm inclined to agree the lighting and ceremony will be impressive but not moving (which is exactly how i felt about Beijing). it will be a big propaganda fest for putin to show the russian people that they are great again (and god knows they have the worst history of suffering of any nation i can mention). so this will be his gift to the russians and russian nationalism.

• Like 1

Lol. the conversation between these guys during the 2010 closing ceremony.

- Say goodbye to the cauldron
- Adios!
- See you in Sochi
- They use the same one?
- Just the flame
- The same flame? Yeah right
- They keep the flame alive
- Do they?
- They protect it in glass
- For 4 years they keep it protected in glass?
- It hasn't stopped burning
- Since the first Olympics?
That's bullshit.

Oh my god - that Vancouver cauldron sequence at the closing ceremony is so mushy. That music is so silly- Winter Olympics or Disney on Ice? That cauldron is ridiculous. LESS IS MORE.

Especially after Heatherwick's 2012 cauldron - which was just the most beautiful thing ever.

And thanks to NBC / CTV's coverage, no one in North America saw that.

Oh my god - that Vancouver cauldron sequence at the closing ceremony is so mushy. That music is so silly- Winter Olympics or Disney on Ice? That cauldron is ridiculous. LESS IS MORE.

Especially after Heatherwick's 2012 cauldron - which was just the most beautiful thing ever.

The instrumental music that is playing in the background is from the song called "Long may you run" by Neil Young. His a grammy award winner and He has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice. Less is more? London is more complicated in design compare to Vancouver. Vancouver only have four legs while London has hundreds of legs. But London was able to pull it off very well. Vancouver had technical issues unfortunately it happened on the live show.

. Vancouver had technical issues unfortunately it happened on the live show.

It was that damned 'paper blizzard' that they chose. It gummed up that one spoke. They were lucky only one leg got stuck. But it did make a good segue to the Closing though. A brilliant save.

I would also like Barcelona 92 to be taken into consideration, a cauldron decades earlier looking slicker and sexy

lnc7.jpg

I always thought Barcelona's looked like a pregnant whale even tho it's supposed to be the rudder of a ship. But same thing...water creatures. BTW, I did do an article on all the Winter cauldrons (including the failed one for 1928- a separate story) in the November issue of the ISOH Journal).

Agree with baron, the closing ceremony with the cauldron made up for the opening mishap in vancouver. Brilliantly done.

And I liked the segment where it came apart again and departed the stage. Very clever and quite moving IMO.

• Like 1

The instrumental music that is playing in the background is from the song called "Long may you run" by Neil Young. His a grammy award winner and He has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice. Less is more? London is more complicated in design compare to Vancouver. Vancouver only have four legs while London has hundreds of legs. But London was able to pull it off very well. Vancouver had technical issues unfortunately it happened on the live show.

To me the music was naff, stale and too much like the stuff we've heard over the past two decades. Neil Young or not.

London was a more complicated design - but it was far more elegant, and was beautifully executed when it mattered the most.