The Cauldron

http://instagram.com/p/jgdGX7sPQ6/

http://instagram.com/p/jgdGX7sPQ6/

Funny though; they didn't do the full burn at the top. Just the back-neck way up. Boy, you could hear those winds.

That's how I thought the flame would get up there. (I guess the "droid" scenario is out then. I was told the winds would probably kill that idea.) But I also envisioned it working its way up in a smaller, quieter, old-fashioned "TNT' way (a la Salt Lake) rather than in big, jerky bursts...like braids in a woman's long hair. I think this is where it's an all-Russian production rather than one with a sleeker, less coarse input from a western company. No wonder the tempo of the whole relay is kinda jerky.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

This is another first, right? I think that never before, we have seen the cauldron lighting method before an opening ceremony. We saw the cauldrons burning, yes - but we never saw the lighting sequence until that very night.

I mean, it's no big surprise, especially after we've already seen that there's some sort of fuse going up the cauldron - but in a way, I'm disappointed nevertheless. And I'm surprised that they do such revealing tests in front of an audience or at least some spectators who still are allowed to operate a smartphone with camera during the test.

And I wonder how they want to achieve a spectacular effect in that lighting - it looks rather conventional to me, the only remarkable thing so far are those rather large "jets of fire" shooting out of the fuse in front of respectively going up the cauldron. Will they create a dramatic effect by the means of music or by some sort of narrative? Will they accompany that journey of the "jets of fire" with some special effect that they didn't show in that test? Furthermore, that effect would probably work best if they would remove the hangar on the cauldron side of the stadium in order to offer the stadium audience and also the TV cameras within the stadium a better and probably more spectacular view of the lighting. How uncool would a lighting sequence be if the flame had to travel through some bleak hangar first before going outside and up the cauldron?

Very Sydney Paralympic style in lighting.

But agree with others, it seems this is going to be just a more glitzy version of the Vancouver 2010 external lighting, Im still expecting something quite spectacular inside .

Yeah I can't say QE2 Olympic Park looks too good in winter pics either. I think as others have said, it is F1 related the asphalt, and it is also winter - so its apples and oranges. My main issue is design related, it looks (and some reports confirm) that the buildings are cheap as sh!t on closer inspection. Design wise, they're nothing too special. Even the dome is a blatant rip off of the Beijing Opera House.

i think Sochi Olympic Park will look its best in 2018.

London tried too hard to be "green."

What a strange observation. How did London "try too hard" --- it looks wonderful.

All the asphalt is most certainly F1 related.

I'm not very certain myself. The F1 circuit doesn't go round that quadrant of the central plaza. More likely, there was supposed to be a decorative surface here for pedestrians, which was delayed so they had to lay the pyro gas pipes across the underlying rough ashphalt.