The Cauldron

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...i think the dark panels may be venting.......whatever it is it looks terrible....vent FAIL

That's not what I would call terrible or even fail - I think it rather loosens up the look of the cauldron's skin, I think that in a completely single-coloured surrounding, occasional dots of another colour can look rather interesting and stylish, so to speak.

And I also don't agree with (I believe) Davey who said that the cauldron's skin looks sloppy and as if it might fall apart any second. To me, the cauldron has an overall neat look - only with the exception of those lights at its edges, they don't exactly match the elegant curve the cauldron has.

at first i thought it looked slick, but looking closer the skin appears more tank-like.

the vents are just distracting to me, just looks like design challenges someone could not resolve elegantly.

it's just ok for me, would love to hear more about the aesthetic design

Yes it was me, Im going to take one hell of a lot of convincing to think otherwise. It looks like it was done in the 60's, and done badly. There must be better cladding they could have used. Not the biggest fan of the shape but if it had looked like it was carved out of one piece, it could have saved it, as it is, that cladding draws the eye to its imperfections.

Yes it was me, Im going to take one hell of a lot of convincing to think otherwise. It looks like it was done in the 60's, and done badly. There must be better cladding they could have used. Not the biggest fan of the shape but if it had looked like it was carved out of one piece, it could have saved it, as it is, that cladding draws the eye to its imperfections.

All those join lines make me wonder if it was sponsored by Lego.

It's not bad, but not the best ever. I can compare it more with the Athens cauldron since both are reminiscing (and also since both are based on the respective torches used in the relay). What's kinda annoying me is the panels which seem to be flying away from the main structure because of strong winds.

True, I don't know the concept yet I shouldn't have included that. Im waiting to be blown away by a lighting that will bring a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

Thought I'd take another look at the pictures. It seriously looks so cheap, I can't comprehend not being appalled by that cladding. Its 2014, they have a bank load of cash to throw at it, its actually making me quite mad.

I'd go for poetic concept & beautiful execution over LOOK AT THE SIZE OF MY CAULDRON any day. Horses for courses though I guess

Is that a cauldron in your park or are you just happy to see me?

-it's definitely more of a one night stand vs falling in love cauldron for me

.... And those trap door / vents / whatever...! Ug to the ly. Maybe Plushenko (sp) will pop out of one at the last minute with some sparklers and a little Russian flag.

The cauldron and the wind-swept concrete plaza around it do not look very appealling for the distribution of medals each night.... it all looks a bit isolated from the city and city life. And usually a winter games would have this area covered in snow to 'clean up' the whole look and pretty it up.

Will see what the atmosphere is like during the Games.

I quite like it. It looks rather graceful with its shape & it looks great lit up at night. The cladding doesn't detract IMO, most of the time you see it from afar anyway. It doesn't top London's though, that was pretty much perfect (apart from outside visibility obvs)

some cauldron lightings have nailed the emotional climax in different ways: London, Athens, Salt Lake, Sydney, Atlanta, Barcelona...

others, in my opinion, fell very, very flat: Vancouver, Beijing, Turin (oh god, Turin) and Lillehammer (a member of the Royal Family? No thank-you.) are ones that stick out for me.

I expect Sochi's to be shaded by people's perception of the greater forces at play in Russia. I really can't see myself being moved by anything on Februrary 7. Impressed, sure, but moved, nope.

some cauldron lightings have nailed the emotional climax in different ways: London, Athens, Salt Lake, Sydney, Atlanta, Barcelona...

others, in my opinion, fell very, very flat: Vancouver, Beijing, Turin (oh god, Turin) and Lillehammer (a member of the Royal Family? No thank-you.) are ones that stick out for me.

I expect Sochi's to be shaded by people's perception of the greater forces at play in Russia. I really can't see myself being moved by anything on Februrary 7. Impressed, sure, but moved, nope.

What could be more emotional and more Canadian than a hockey player riding in the back of a pickup to light the flame???

Yes- emotional and symbolic climaxes with Sydney with an aboriginal, Atlanta/ LA with a man of colour, Barcelona with a paralympian....maybe Sochi can bring some deeper meaning with a gay Cauldron lighter!

What could be more emotional and more Canadian than a hockey player riding in the back of a pickup to light the flame???

I felt that moment was stolen by the moment being 'diluted' by the inclusion of more than one final torch bearer. Also, the pickup truck section was AFTER the climax within BC Place.

In my opinion, the cauldron looked tacky and cumbersome - and its technical issue couldn't be ignored or resolved (like Sydney was thankfully able to).

Don't get me wrong, Vancouver's opening was one of the most humbling and emotional I've ever seen, but the cauldron didn't do it for me.

it all looks a bit isolated from the city and city life.

That could be because it is. The main Sochi 2014 complex was basically built on a seaside field, next to the airport, 30 km from the centre of Sochi in a community called Adler, just a kilometer or so from the border with Georgia.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/24/worldsport/gallery/sochi-olympic-village-satellite/

Just thinking - this is probably the first Olympics were the Olympic flame can be viewed not just in the host country - but a neighbouring one. Parts of Georgia are closer to the Olympic Park than downtown Sochi itself. It would be like Buffalo, NY hosting the Olympics and the cauldron being visible from Ontario.

Archived