The Cauldron

465430739_214025140.jpg?resize=930%2C600

still looks like a penis. a dog penis

I also don't think London tried "too hard"... their Olympic Park definitely had a real 'park' feeling. Lots of green space for spectators. I just don't see this happening in the 'Ring of Steel'.

A3864211-7C25-4AAB-8A41-6450E586CECC_mw1

before london,when was the last time an olympic park looked like a park? and not just some concrete parking lot

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly better to line it up against other urban Winter Olympic precincts, it's pretty easy to make a summer Olympic park look lovely and lush, not so much for the winter Games.

I remember Nagano's Olympic park looked a tad sparse at the time.

London had expanses of tarmac but made a massive effort with the park that was accessible off that area. I think Sochi's problem is the venues are in that round, it seemed like a good idea but means its basically a big concrete area circled by venues. Gotta admit I think the cauldron build looks really shabby, I can see that white cladding popping off quite quickly. For me its trying a bit too hard.

Possibly better to line it up against other urban Winter Olympic precincts, it's pretty easy to make a summer Olympic park look lovely and lush, not so much for the winter Games.

I remember Nagano's Olympic park looked a tad sparse at the time.

yes are have to compare it to pass winter games but was it the whole thing about sochi is most if not all of the events are centered in a tropical setting. where are the lush palm trees and the tropic oasis that the perfume commercial handover ceremony supposedly teased?

the 'hot.cool.yours' motto might not live to expectation

still looks like a penis. a dog penis

before london,when was the last time an olympic park looked like a park? and not just some concrete parking lot

MUNICH 1972

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympiapark,_Munich

BARCELONA 1992

> http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/Anella-Olimpica-de-Montjuic/_3Ngb8YjSpL3U56ScBHOWcxpDev_Vr2xeBXI9hWLv1EZ01oNLGvXYd2_EycLxoryS

Sydney Olympic Park is also a very green place in its own right, although it seems to balance a more urban function than Barcelona, Munich or London. The adjacent Bicentennial Park (which is part of Olympic Park) means that the former 2000 Olympic venues are surrounded by a ring of wetlands, lakes and 'forestways.'

Sydney-Olympic-Park-2.jpg

IMG_0242.JPG

image-main.jpg

QSOP-131.jpg

Sydney_Olympic_Park_Homebush_gallery__60

Admittedly not a lot - but you're not exactly the master of positive or relevant contribution around here anyway.

Anyway if you had looked it this in context you could see the discussion evolved into the 'park' in Olympic Park - I was responding to the suggestion that only London and Barcelona in recent years were parks, which is untrue. Beijing and Sydney were built in green belts.

Archived