The Cauldron

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full video of fountain show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1t5vgHl5HQ

Nice!!! I like it. Nothing new, but I like it....

Will this show be involved as a part of the Opening Ceremony?? May be after the lighting of the cauldron....

I think an important part of the display are the areal shoots where we could see the Olympic rings formed by the water...

After the sixth attempt, I was finally able to open the video with the help of the "Stealthy" tool, because also that video is blocked in Germany due to musical copyright. Really, GEMA, screw you - and screw you hard! It's really remarkable that you even don't accept videos made of a public performance where "your" music only runs in the background and the sound quality is far too bad to rip a crystal clear MP3 copy of that music! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Rant over. ;)

I somehow like it, it's an Olympic first to have a water and lights show below the cauldron, and since they use that wonderful classical music from "Swan Lake", I think it is done in a tasteful way.

I guess as well that those skyrocketing water fountains are far too vaporous to put the flame out, even if there's a wind gust from the wrong direction. Remember that the Olympic Flame also has to withstand rain (maybe even torrential rain), so such a light vapour from a fountain really shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing that caught my eye: Did you notice that the roof of the Olympic Stadium in the background was lit in the colours of the Russian flag? I suppose that that's the lighting for the performance of the national anthem and/or the arrival of Lenin... er, Putin and/or the Russian team.

And another thing: I don't think that that fountain show or the fountains at all will necessarily be part of the opening ceremony. I think that they were rather made for the entertainment of the crowd on Medal Plaza during the evening medal ceremonies there.

I think this will be in the OC. a) They've put so much into it that surely it won't just be for the medal plaza (Is the plaza even broadcast worldwide?) & B) Think of previous ring sequences. We've had horses, fire, fire on water, the strange post-apocalypse factory things in Turin, Beijing's 'dust', snow at Vancouver & London's forging. The rings haven't been introduced in water form yet, so I think we'll see the fountain on Feb. 7.

Outside the stadium, away from the crowds and performers, and on the opposite side of the cauldron from the stadium?

I think it's unlikely you're correct there. I mean we might see the rings formed in the fountain in a few aerial shots, but I'd imagine we'll get something bigger and more dramatic in the stadium for the crowds and cameras.

On that note, does anyone know if there's a compilation of all the 'ring sequences' from past ceremonies anywhere on YouTube?

I agree. A rings formation of this fountain would be a pretty piss poor featuring of the rings in the opening ceremony in my opinion. There is no impact, they're not really that huge, and a rings fountain is not exactly unique - it is one of the features of Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta.

I think these are merely a nice sister to the Olympic cauldron.

On that note, does anyone know if there's a compilation of all the 'ring sequences' from past ceremonies anywhere on YouTube?

I saw one about a year ago, and tried to find it recently with no luck. Off the top of my head though, I'm somewhat sure that a 'rings sequence' has featured at all ceremonies since Montreal, with the exception of Lake Placid and Albertville. (But if anyone knows more, please correct me if I am wrong)

Although of that bunch, Salt Lake City, Athens and London are still far and away the most memorable.

Nah. The "5 rings" imprint comes within the First Act of the show--usually w/in the first 5-10 mins to say that this is an "IOC" show. Those fountains will already probably be running by the time the OC crowd file in. They may act up again with the Lighting at the end of the show....but it will be merely a sideshow rather a main element. The "5 rings" imprint must be part of the major show inside....in the full view of the Tribune of Honor, the paying guests and the Atheletes, if they've already marched out by then.

Besides, regarding Yoshi's "Is the plaza broadcast worldwide?" question: I don't think that that matters. They certainly didn't make that fountain for TV, but mainly for entertainment purposes for the audience on the plaza. TV would have to broadcast the whole fountain show to do it justice - it's just not a thing that you can broadcast well only in segments.

Additionally, I do think that one kind of action on the plaza will be broadcast worldwide indeed: Namely the medal ceremonies. Broadcasters around the world will at least show pictures (or even live broadcasts) of the ceremonies for the big stars of the Games respectively for their own countries' athletes.

It'll be proper doves, clutched firmly by the hands of performers dressed in Greek togas. Marching in formation with a hybrid chariot/troika in tow. Incense smoke from their plates fill the "air". Doves are released on cue where they will fly and perch upon the ceiling's railings for the remainder of the night.

It'll be proper doves, clutched firmly by the hands of performers dressed in Greek togas. Marching in formation with a hybrid chariot/troika in tow. Incense smoke from their plates fill the "air". Doves are released on cue where they will fly and perch upon the ceiling's railings for the remainder of the night.

ahhh the good old days.

And lots of synths and deep voiced Russian gents singing rousing songs of the conquest and glory of victory.

I don't think they'll be dropping the Greek "touch" altogether -- what with the Prometheus legend playing a strong part in their bid.

You mean Putin's ranting during the bidding phase that the Greeks were supposedly the original inhabitants (or eventually settled) in what is now the Sochi region?

And not to forget that the "dove clutchers" will march in goose step.

http://youtu.be/Jg5azot0Yko?t=6m2s

Glory days!

Archived