The Cauldron

Just because I have only been on here a week, doesn't mean I haven't experienced Games. I remember Sydney 2000 when I was 3 years old.

I too remember Sydney, despite being only 2 at the time. My only recollection is being carried on my father's shoulders out of the stadium. Doesn't make me qualified to make a judgement on the quality of the games. There's a reason there aren't any 3 year olds in the IOC.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was hidden behind scaffolding and temporary walls but aerial photos revealed what it looked like.

And one had no idea how the hidden whatever it was, would match up with whatever was going to happen inside BC Place.

@Tony -- all I'm saying is that "Best" thing is entirely subjective...and it's something we stay away from here. USE "Favorite" if you have to rate the quality of things. It is less controversial and more correct.

Cut him some slack, Athensfan. One can also say that in a more polite way. Not everyone reads such a thread all the time and knows every post, including this thread and the whole debate around Tony - and you know that I didn't get your joke at first either.

Back to topic, I suspect that the outside cauldron is well, what it's for, lit after whatever extravaganza they have within the stadium. People outside will see the outside cauldron lit after the internal one is lit. Possibly with a neat pyrotechnic display which gives the illusion of the flame from the inside cauldron passing through some sort of line or wire leading up to the big outdoor cauldron, as a symbol of the unbroken Olympic Flame.

The thing is, any pyrotechnics connecting the two would look really weird with that barn (that's what we're calling it now?) in the way. To the audience inside all they'll see is some fireworks disappearing through a door, whereas outside all they'd see is the fireworks coming out a door. Therefore the continuity of this being THE flame would be lost on both audience. And as for how they'll convey it to the tv audiences? That'll look even more confusing. The whole thing is very perplexing. I can't wait!

of the unbroken Olympic Flame.

Unbroken? .... for Sochi 2014? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

U're soooooo funny, LD!!

The thing is, any pyrotechnics connecting the two would look really weird with that barn (that's what we're calling it now?) in the way. To the audience inside all they'll see is some fireworks disappearing through a door, whereas outside all they'd see is the fireworks coming out a door. Therefore the continuity of this being THE flame would be lost on both audience. And as for how they'll convey it to the tv audiences? That'll look even more confusing. The whole thing is very perplexing. I can't wait!

As I've posted before, my inside mole (this is Russia after all... ;):ph34r: ) tells me that drone Prometheus will "steal" the flame from the inside cauldron and then fly outside to light the big tower. It will have a skycam camera in it, so you will get moving, close-up shots of the outside Lighting like you've never seen before!!

Great shots of where it will all happen. This is probably the closest an OV will be to the center of action of any Games. It's literally a 5-minute walk. (I wonder who will buy/rent those units after the Games?)

No closer than london's I would argue baron.

Good aerial shots

I stand by my view that the park looks too concrete.

Still a couple of months to go but they have work to do on the common domain areas.

Why do the rings under the cauldron have an extra ring!?

No closer than london's I would argue baron.

Right. Forgot about that. Altho I read somewhere that the Athletes' walk to Oly in London was around a 10-12-min walk. They timed it for the OC -- altho they were held in the Swim stadium first? Anyway, just an observation.

Re the extra ring. I think that might just be there for marking/centering purposes, i.e., it's easier to set down the 5 rings by having an extra ring just as a reference point. Or not unless that will be one of Bach's new dictas -- a change of the logo???

Archived