The Cauldron

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The projection technology for both Beijing and Vancouver were the same. Both were custome systems developed over the course of a couple years at design facilities in Kitchener, Ontario. For Beijing the systems were built in Shenzhen and for Vancouver they were built in Kitchener.

I thought for a second that Beijing's system was designed in Kitchener too lol. That would be very strange.

Speaking of cauldrons, I wanted to share with the readership here, a rare photo of the Helsinki 1952 cauldron in the tower lit (provided to me by the Sports Library of Finland in connection with an article I am preparing on past cauldrons).

Helsinki_beacon2_zpse8a77af0.jpg

Even at that height, it's very hard to see from the stadium...which is why they had Paavo Nurmi light a smaller cauldron on the ground first.

OK...I also looked at the Sochi 2014 thread on Skyscrapercity and see that black metal mesh covering the stadium. It does look out of place, though. And kind of unnecessary.

According to the article I posted in the venues thread it was completely necessary...

When the organizers learned about the area's occasionally destructive winds, they categorically rejected the idea of an open-roof stadium — partly out of concern for spectators' safety.

According to a source who has been directly involved in the preparations for the opening ceremonies, the organizers insisted that a temporary roof be installed between the two arches, thereby completely changing the original idea of linking the mountain-top ski resorts with the sea in an open space above the bowl of the stadium.

This was necessary, the source said, to ensure that sophisticated lighting and sound equipment could be safely installed and the spectators protected

Read more: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/with-4-months-left-main-sochi-stadium-a-disaster/487702.html#ixzz2hb0XQuNe

The Moscow Times

According to the article I posted in the venues thread it was completely necessary...

Great article & find, Rob. Thanks. If Kazan was any indication of the scale of Ceremonies they are planning, it is definitely something not to be missed. The show will be a jaw-dropper. And as I had guessed, they are indeed starting rehearsals at one of the other arenas. I think we will see the most "flying" stunts ever for an Opening ceremony here; and I bet the projections will be twice what Vancouver did.

I'm kinda sorry now that I didn't plan more seriously to go and attend.

But I know why there are those long delays and out-of-control budget.

Los Angeles? ;) For 52 years.

The infamous Atlanta one was unveiled about a year before w/ a scale model.

Tokyo's might be the same one for 2020.

This also might have been another "inspiration"...

Montjuic-Tower-dv1847003.jpg

That's not the cauldron, Baron. That's the antenna outside the Palau San-Jordi some distance from the stadium. The Barcelona cauldron is still attached to the north side of Monjuic Stadium.

OK, if we are blue skying and the Russians apparently have rubles to burn, is there a chance the roof or a portion of the temp roof a Fischt Stadium could open and the flame 'fly' to the outdoor cauldron? Technically, it would be more difficult than anything that has been attempted and they are running out of rehearsal and plan b planning time, but Russia wants to wow us all, that would fit the bill.

That's not the cauldron, Baron. That's the antenna outside the Palau San-Jordi some distance from the stadium. The Barcelona cauldron is still attached to the north side of Monjuic Stadium.

I KNOW that, Matt. DId I say it was a cauldron? It's a sculpture. Please extend me a little credit for knowing what's what... :rolleyes:

OK, if we are blue skying and the Russians apparently have rubles to burn, is there a chance the roof or a portion of the temp roof a Fischt Stadium could open and the flame 'fly' to the outdoor cauldron? Technically, it would be more difficult than anything that has been attempted and they are running out of rehearsal and plan b planning time, but Russia wants to wow us all, that would fit the bill.

Matt, if you will have read the article...the reason they are roofing Fisht is because of the winds swirling in that area and all THE riggings that had to be set up. As it was, Fisht was the ONLY open air stadium there...so that exposed Fisht to those dangerous winds. So your idea is...uhmmmm... TOTALLY untenable.

With the way the relay flame is dying out and the swirling winds in Sochi, I am wondering how the Russkies will be able to keep the flame on the cauldron burning constantly??

Easy. Just design the cauldron so that the visible flame is only a tiny tip of the whole thing, tucked away safely out of the breeze. It'll use insane amounts of gas, but this is Russia!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah thanks...but wouldn't the roof blow up when the cauldron is lit? Just kidding! (memories of Yellow/Orange/Wacko Vest).

All the renders I saw of the stadium didn't have the completely enclosed roof, but then again, I'm not paying as much attention to Sochi 2014 as I have previous Olympic Games.

The Stadium is going to be partially exposed:-) I saw this same picture on the constructor’s website. The Trusses at the top of the stadium are going to be removed, That whole black section of Trusses is just their to install the translucent polycarbonate roof will be used which will give the building an appearance of snowy peaks, ensuring it sits in harmony with the landscape of the Imeretinskaya Valley and the Caucasus Mountains. (this is all from the Sochi2014.ru website)

This explains the stadium’s name

The Fisht Mountain reaches 2,857m above sea level and is one of the most famous mountains in Russia. In translation from Adyghe language, the name means "white head", "white frost" or "grey-headed". The mountain obtained its name from the ice at its peak. The shining snow cap also serve as the prototype for the original architectural concept for the "Fisht" Olympic Stadium. Incidentally, the transparent roof of this sports venue means that spectators in the stadium will be able to see the whole mountain from its foot to its peak.

The Stadium is going to be partially exposed:-) I saw this same picture on the constructors website. The Trushes at the top of the stadium are going to be removed, That whole black section of Trushes is just their to install the glass panels for the roof

The Stadium is going to be partially exposed:-) I saw this same picture on the constructor’s website. The Trusses at the top of the stadium are going to be removed, That whole black section of Trusses is just their to install the translucent polycarbonate roof will be used which will give the building an appearance of snowy peaks, ensuring it sits in harmony with the landscape of the Imeretinskaya Valley and the Caucasus Mountains. (this is all from the Sochi2014.ru website)

This explains the stadium’s name

The Fisht Mountain reaches 2,857m above sea level and is one of the most famous mountains in Russia. In translation from Adyghe language, the name means "white head", "white frost" or "grey-headed". The mountain obtained its name from the ice at its peak. The shining snow cap also serve as the prototype for the original architectural concept for the "Fisht" Olympic Stadium. Incidentally, the transparent roof of this sports venue means that spectators in the stadium will be able to see the whole mountain from its foot to its peak.

The Stadium is going to be partially exposed:-) I saw this same picture on the constructors website. The Trushes at the top of the stadium are going to be removed, That whole black section of Trushes is just their to install the glass panels for the roof

Thanks, James. We know that. The roofing covering the 2 shells over the seating area is just being installed for the Oly/Paralympic ceremonies. Per the article, it is needed both for artistic reasons...and FOR SAFETY reason. Becuz of the swirling winds in the area, they can't have lighting, special EFX equipment, projectors just hanging uncovered from the permanent sections of the roof. The 2 shells PLUS the winds would create crazy safety problems. We know that it comes off after the 2014 events. (Really don''t see the point of your post.)

Archived