The Cauldron

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that's a big one again - but that could be expected, not only because this will be "Winter Beijing", but also due to the architecture of the Olympic Park and the Olympic Stadium which offer a great setting for such a tall cauldron visible also from inside the stadium (at least through that open end of the stadium).

It reminds be of the slanted tower at Montreal's Olympic Stadium - though that tower leans towards the stadium, while Sochi's cauldron leans away from the stadium.

montreal_olympic1.jpg

I suposse that due to the domed condition of the stadium there will also be an indoors cauldron (but with the two of them being lit simultaneously, most likely.

Or the one inside will be lit first. And then the flame either travels on some path or wire to the outside; OR they have two other runners then run out and light each end of the unfinished circle. The flames then circle around to the back of the tower and then up the shaft.

Now that's a big one again - but that could be expected, not only because this will be "Winter Beijing", but also due to the architecture of the Olympic Park and the Olympic Stadium which offer a great setting for such a tall cauldron visible also from inside the stadium (at least through that open end of the stadium).

It reminds be of the slanted tower at Montreal's Olympic Stadium - though that tower leans towards the stadium, while Sochi's cauldron leans away from the stadium.

montreal_olympic1.jpg

Or the Paris-Montreal Tower proposed for Expo 67 (which like the 76 stadium tower, was backed by Mayor Jean Drapeau)?

ifel_tower_expo_tower_1A.jpg

Interesting...have we ever seen a cauldron exposed this early before?

I suposse that due to the domed condition of the stadium there will also be an indoors cauldron (but with the two of them being lit simultaneously, most likely.

I didn't think the stadium was domed...big awnings like the Beijing Birds Nest, but open on both sides facing the sea and the mountains.

I guess it's time for this as well..

Thanks to Runnings for scooping this from SSC...

YXJjaC1zb2NoaS5ydS93cC1jb250ZW50L3VwbG9h

The prototype.

YXJjaC1zb2NoaS5ydS93cC1jb250ZW50L3VwbG9h

and it's the slanted tower on the right.

looks like it's another stick and bowl cauldron <_<-_-:mellow::(

as much as there are problems with the London cauldron (i.e. visiblility and the moving the thing to games position) the concept was rather lovely and should be done to all the games. maybe no moving parts but a puzzle piece type thing

Do we know for sure that it is the cauldron & not just another tower like orbit? I think it is the cauldron, it looks like one & doesn't have an observation deck, but do we have evidence?

No we don't yoshi. This is a red herring. It's a FAKE cauldron to throw people off so they won't know where the real one will be. It is actually the mooring for the Int'l Space Station when it comes down to pick up the cosmonette who will walk with a DEAD torch into space.

And since the construction schedule is sooo tight, yes... they will have time to put up a red herring cauldron just so people will be puzzled until the last minute. Whaddya think, yoshi? Do you really think they have time to fool around with this??? :wacko::angry:

To be fair, I guess it was always going to be big, the slope on it makes me wonder if there'll be a track up it from the stadium for the 'firebird' (or whatever to travel up with the flame.

Nah, I think it will just swoop up. All the drama with bated breath I think will take place inside where they can give it a full theatrical treatment. Just as Beijing first tried to use a 'phoenix' theme for their Lighting (discarded later), I think Scott GIvens and his Russkie partners will do a complete Prometheus to Firebird show for the Lighting inside. To me, that scenario is just loaded with theatrical possibilities.

And with its buildup, suspense, flourish of joy and drama, the finale to Stravinsky's Firebird Suite certainly sounds like the kind of music you would use for lighting the Olympic flame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW4PuJYRIHI

If that is the case, then Russian-composed music would have been used at that pivotal moment for at least at three or four Olympic Games.

2002 - Salt Lake City, Shostakovich's 5th Symphony

2004 - Athens, Shostakovich's Pirogov Suite

And I'm sure a Russian composed the piece used for Moscow 1980, but it was probably specially written for the event...I don't recognize it as anything classic.

U won't see thru it clearly. Look at the pics again. Plus, it will have girders for lighting, flying, SEFX equipment,etc.,etc....so it's not like it's going to be a crystal clear glass dome.

Besides, like in London and Vancouver, the drama has to be in the center of the arena. U can't take it away from the center where all the ticket-payers' gaze is directed to. The lighting outside will either be subjunctive or simultaneous.

U won't see thru it clearly. Look at the pics again. Plus, it will have girders for lighting, flying, SEFX equipment,etc.,etc....so it's not like it's going to be a crystal clear glass dome.

Besides, like in London and Vancouver, the drama has to be in the center of the arena. U can't take it away from the center where all the ticket-payers' gaze is directed to. The lighting outside will either be subjunctive or simultaneous. [/quote

I know what you mean, but I doubt they would be going to these extremes in terms of size with a cauldron if it couldn't be visible from within the stadium. Seems like a big undertaking to have two of these cauldrons.

I know what you mean, but I doubt they would be going to these extremes in terms of size with a cauldron if it couldn't be visible from within the stadium. Seems like a big undertaking to have two of these cauldrons.

But why would the inside one have to be gigantic? It need only be decorative and theatrical. I think they may just use one of the 'overnight' cauldrons for that purpose.

Also, I don't think the roof is clear because they need darkness to rehearse during daylight hours

Archived