Real mature, Tony. We'll remember this one the next time you post one of your pleas for forgiveness and see if anyone wants to listen.

Erm, I'm just pointing out that he claims his ignored Me, but he replies to Me. Also, if People want to pick out on our spellings, I though I would do it too.

okay... now i have 1 question....

let's head back to the 2018 race where munich is with strong olympic memories of summer 1972 who's looking forward to make history to become the first city to host both summer and winter olympics is defeated to pyeongchang which is very unknown at that time and even more unknown compared to almaty but they win... why???

right now i'm indeed matched munich with beijing who had been experienced in hosting the olympics and almaty with pyeongchang who has the winter sports facilities already although considered as new horizons...

if we take tony's words to my scenario above then munich should win 2018 instead of pyeongchang...

so my question is what makes the 2022 race different compared to 2018 if we see it from the scenario above???

You cannot compare the 2018 and 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Bidding. You cannot compare South Korea with Kazakhstan. As said before, South Korea has Hosted the much larger Summer Olympics before in 1988. Kazakhstan hasn't Hosted the Olympics at all, so at these desperate Times for the IOC, they can't take risks with Kazakhstan. We know Beijing can deliver.

As noted, Pyeongchang is anything but a known entity around the world, but to the IOC, it was very well known. Don't forget that they very nearly defeated Vancouver for the 2010 Olympics and then came just short of beating Sochi for 2014. The IOC's only interaction with Almaty was when they bid for the 2014 Olympics and failed to make the short list.

I don't know that you can paint an accurate comparison between 2018 and 2022. The key difference is that you had a bidder trying for their 3rd time. And you're also talking South Korea vs. Germany, not China vs. Kazakhstan. So while I understand some of the similarities between Munich and Beijing or PC and Almaty, to expect the same outcome on that basis is being very unfair to the situation.

At the time too South Korea was building its WOG credentials on the medal tally....it has stalled a litlle lately!

At the time too South Korea was building its WOG credentials on the medal tally....it has stalled a litlle lately!

Sounds a lot like Russia. They won 8 golds in Torino, had a poor showing in Vancouver with only 3 golds, then came back on home snow and ice to win 13. So if South Korea follows the same pattern, they should do very well in 2018.

Sounds a lot like Russia. They won 8 golds in Torino, had a poor showing in Vancouver with only 3 golds, then came back on home snow and ice to win 13. So if South Korea follows the same pattern, they should do very well in 2018.

Also if you factor in all of the typical Korean cheating and event fixing.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/10/16/kazakhstan-ad-company-loses-appeal-against-court-fine-over-gay-kiss-poster/

Kazakhstan looks like going the way of Russia now Kazakhstan neighbour Kyrgyzstan pass Russia anti gay laws it's very concerning about Kazakhstan right now this goes against P6 in IOC Charter, China is becoming gay friendly now and is neutral right now society in China is becoming gay friendly while not so much in Kazakhstan.

The next WOPG host South Korea is the fastest changing place for gay rights it's still anti gay with with older generation but with the younger generation and the mayor of Seoul supports gay rights and gay marriage. Brazil will be the 1st country to host an SOPG with full rights of the gay community and Japanese first lady is out spoken on support for gay rights Japan is an gay friendly place.

This is the end of the Almaty Kazakhstan bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games and say hello to Beijing the People's Republic of China the host of the 2022 winter games.

I took time to look over both bids and I must say I'm leaning toward Almaty more on this. Neither are ideal, and Beijing has great infrastructure as a base, but I feel the Almaty offers a genuinely interesting opportunity . I think when you really look at it on paper you realise the Sochi comparisons are way off, a lot of infrastructure exists (it's like comparing Montreal and Barcelona- different models)

I love Beijing, but I think, given the circumstances, the IOC could save 2022 whilst maintaining a new frontier with Almaty.

• Like 1

I took time to look over both bids and I must say I'm leaning toward Almaty more on this. Neither are ideal, and Beijing has great infrastructure as a base, but I feel the Almaty offers a genuinely interesting opportunity . I think when you really look at it on paper you realise the Sochi comparisons are way off, a lot of infrastructure exists (it's like comparing Montreal and Barcelona- different models)

I love Beijing, but I think, given the circumstances, the IOC could save 2022 whilst maintaining a new frontier with Almaty.

Agreed. I'm actually quite intrigued by the idea of an Almaty Olympics. I think it'd be something new and fun, and I'm interested to see how they'd put it all together. I don't think it's really as bad as people make it seem.

• Like 1

Socially the world is not ready for the Islamic world to host the Olympics and Paralympics Games with all the issues with the Islamic state and ISILI doubt we will see the Islamic world host the games for the next 50 years, Things are going from bad to worse in the Arab and Islamic world so that will make Atheist China to host the 2022 Winter Games and I agree with Tony the next host of the winter games after Beijing China 2022 in Asia will be Sapporo Japan.

Socially the world is not ready for the Islamic world to host the Olympics and Paralympics Games with all the issues with the Islamic state and ISILI doubt we will see the Islamic world host the games for the next 50 years, Things are going from bad to worse in the Arab and Islamic world so that will make Atheist China to host the 2022 Winter Games and I agree with Tony the next host of the winter games after Beijing China 2022 in Asia will be Sapporo Japan.

Really? I mean really? Referencing Isil in comparison to Kazakhstan? Why don't you take a look at China and all the protests going on in Hong Kong. I think that's a bit closer to home then Iraq-Kazakhstan.

I think theoretically, Almaty has all the basic ingredients to host Winter Games at some point, more so than Beijing, and the evaluation report was probably not reflecting the potential completely accurately, for whatever reasons.

However, when decision time comes, I guess the IOC will not go for the "new frontier" because they'll rather make a judgement on which of these two left standing is more likely to be stable for another 7 years: A rigid communit-nationalist regime or one ruled by a "President for life" who has reached an age which makes it more and more uncertain how long that regency will still last and what comes next. And there, I guess, they will opt for the former.

Also the President for life is in his 70s and not in good health and he is the main person who is not letting the Islamist run around in Kazakhstan and Central Asia is going the way of Russia now with Gay Rights and it's very concerning what is going on in that region, So I don;t see any Olympics and Paralympics Games being held in the Islamic world for at least 50 years. Islamist Islamic State ISIL is an bigger issue then what is going on in Hong Kong right now Hong Kong is an tiny issue for the IOC right now then what is going on in the Islamic World. Now is not the right time to be going to Central Asia and Islamic world so Beijing China would be the right city to host the 2022 Winter Games.

India is also not on a shortlist of TWO for an Olympic Games....... therefore not being discussed.

And the ONLY reason why they're still part of the 'discussion', is bcuz no one else (other than China) wants the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Let's be honest here, had all those other Western European bids gone ahead, this would no longer be talked about. Let's also not forget Almaty's very poor rating in the preliminary. In a normal race, they would've been cut from the short-list with such a low score. So who are we kidding.

Just look at how upset the IOC was, & lashed out at the Norwegians, when Oslo finally dropped out a couple of weeks ago, bcuz they were counting on a nation with a true winter sports tradition & one that's already hosted the Winter Olympics twice to save the day. Had it been Beijing or Almaty that withdrew, the IOC could've cared less.

So quite apparently, the IOC ain't feeling the 'excitement' of a 'new' frontier in this race. Which I think is blown way outta proportion anyway, since Asia has hosted more than their fair share of Olympc Games to date, & scheduled for two more within two years in the near future. So in essence, almaty wouldn't be a "new frontier" in that aspect. If anything, maybe a new 'region', but nothing more.

However, when decision time comes, I guess the IOC will not go for the "new frontier" because they'll rather make a judgement on which of these two left standing is more likely to be stable for another 7 years: A rigid communit-nationalist regime or one ruled by a "President for life" who has reached an age which makes it more and more uncertain how long that regency will still last and what comes next. And there, I guess, they will opt for the former.

Precisely. And this is one of the main elements that constantly goes overlooked in this race. All you're hearing by some is the simplistic view of, "oh Almaty would be cool cuz it would be 'new' ", & damn everything else that matters.

If even "new" & beautiful Istanbul couldn't entice the IOC to take the risk with Erdogan, then even less so in this particular case.

• 3 weeks later...

Kazakhstan is 70% Muslim and China 2% Muslim most of them lives in Western China, In Japan there are only 10,000 of them and 35,000 in South Korea.

You are really disgusting! How come you are pointing out they are homophobic when it seems you got an issue against those who follow Islam as religion.

Before stating anything, you must learn how to avoid negative background which could be used against yourself.

Uh-oh...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/29/kazakhstan-pushkin-gay-kiss-poster

A court in Almaty has ordered an advertising agency to pay damages for designing a controversial poster showing two 19th-century cultural icons kissing.

The complaint was brought by a group of musicians who claimed that the poster, which shows Kazakh composer Kurmangazy Sagyrbayuly and Russian poet Alexander Pushkin in an embrace, had hurt their feelings.

Yesterday’s ruling follows a legal battle in August, where it was agreed that the poster would not be shown in public.

Uh-oh...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/29/kazakhstan-pushkin-gay-kiss-poster

A court in Almaty has ordered an advertising agency to pay damages for designing a controversial poster showing two 19th-century cultural icons kissing.

The complaint was brought by a group of musicians who claimed that the poster, which shows Kazakh composer Kurmangazy Sagyrbayuly and Russian poet Alexander Pushkin in an embrace, had hurt their feelings.

Yesterday’s ruling follows a legal battle in August, where it was agreed that the poster would not be shown in public.

This marks an end to the Almaty Kazakhstan bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics bid the IOC don't want another Sochi with all the bad press they got it will be foolish for the IOC to go to Almaty Kazakhstan and with the new hosting rights contact which also add sexual rights protection from the IOC, Kazakhstan will not likely to sign the Deputy leader of the ruling party in the Parliament of Kazakhstan is calling for to make being gay illegal and put in Russia anti gay laws which Kazakhstan other neighbour Kyrgyzstan also is doing,

It will be Beijing China which be hosting the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games it's the only choice for the IOC, They even have gay pride parades in China and I have not seen any in Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan looks like to be following Russia and Kyrgyzstan on the gay issue the next host South Korea is anti gay but they are the fastest changing country in support for the gay issue the people over 50 are anti gay and people under 50 are pro gay and China is neutral 50% approve on gay relationships with that support growing as well well Kazakhstan the people there are super majority anti gay.

Looks like Almaty 2022 will be a Sochi 2.0 as I've been saying all along. London 2012 - Sochi 2014 - Rio 2016 - PyeongChang 2018 - Tokyo 2020 - Most probably Beijing 2022.