Or just do what Russia did for Sochi, pay lip service for the 2 weeks the Games are on -- just to humor the IOC; and then back to business after the old party-gnomes of Lausanne have decamped for the next party. ;)

Lip service? Like when Putin said that gays and lesbians were allowed to be in Sochi as long as they stayed away from the children? Implying that gays and lesbians are either pedophiles or that they are looking for recruits is not paying lip service, that outright hostile.

• Like 1

Lip service? Like when Putin said that gays and lesbians were allowed to be in Sochi as long as they stayed away from the children? Implying that gays and lesbians are either pedophiles or that they are looking for recruits is not paying lip service, that outright hostile.

Alright, I get it out you're outraged. But WHAT are you going to do about it and bring about real change? Will you slap Putin? Will you throw a cream pie in his face?

He's ex-KGB, remember??

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Alright, I get it out you're outraged. But WHAT are you going to do about it and bring about real change? Will you slap Putin? Will you throw a cream pie in his face?

He's ex-KGB, remember??

Even though I'm gay, I think outraged would be a bit of an overstatement. I find it completely vexing when people try to link being gay to pedophilia. I just disagreed with your statement that the Russians paid lip service during the Games. They did nothing of the sort. They simply side stepped their (and their leader's) own bad history around gay and lesbian issues.

Even though I'm gay, I think outraged would be a bit of an overstatement. I find it completely vexing when people try to link being gay to pedophilia. I just disagreed with your statement that the Russians paid lip service during the Games. They did nothing of the sort. They simply side stepped their (and their leader's) own bad history around gay and lesbian issues.

OK, we're just dealing with semantics here. As the song goes...

U say po-tey-toe, I say Poh-TAH-to.

U say to-may-to; I say Toh-MAH-to...

let's call the whole thing off.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Among the items on Olympic Agenda 2020..

Recommendation 14

Strengthen the 6th Fundamental Principle of Olympism

The IOC to include non-discrimination on sexual orientation in the 6th Fundamental

Principle of Olympism.

No 2022 Games then...or will they apply this for future bids, not those already going?

No 2022 Games then...or will they apply this for future bids, not those already going?

It's a principle, so remains to be seen how they apply it, particularly where it comes to voting. One way or another, now that it's out there, it might be on the voters' minds when they're choosing between Giant Douche and Turd Sandwich for 2022.

No games in Almaty. Although gay marriage isn't legal in China, there are no other anti-gay laws that I know of.

And this means Russia will be wasting their time if they put in any future bids for the summer Olympics. So hopefully no more Moscow or St. Petersburg games.

• 1 month later...

This might just be me but after reading over the bid book I feel like Almaty has a pretty solid bid. The fact that so much will already have been build and used before the games because of previously staged international events and their several uses of the new Agenda 2020 guidelines to ensure a palpable and societal legacy really makes it seem like they know what they're doing and will be ready to host if chosen.

• Like 1

This might just be me but after reading over the bid book I feel like Almaty has a pretty solid bid. The fact that so much will already have been build and used before the games because of previously staged international events and their several uses of the new Agenda 2020 guidelines to ensure a palpable and societal legacy really makes it seem like they know what they're doing and will be ready to host if chosen.

Through most of this bid cycle I always thought Almaty would put forward a solid bid. It'd be more compact than Beijing and they do have sound technical elements already in place or under construction. I never thought they were incompetent or ill prepared. The problem with Almaty's bid is it is a global backwater going up against the capital of one of a global superpower.

Almaty really worked and put forward a solid bid. Like I said before, they've got their own issues that they have to deal with: being run by a dictator, LGBT Rights, major smog problems, etc. That being said, they are up against a juggernaut at this point and I can't see them winning but they've put forward a decent effort and I think they could put on a decent Olympics, but I think Beijing is still going to be nearly impossible to beat.

I think some people really underestimate the importance of hosting SUMMER OGs. and experience of hosting SUMMER sports events

Annecy 2018 applicant review got 9.0-10.0 scores,

Do you remember what the listed?

Annecy: cycling, open water swimming, athletics, mountain bike, golf

France: rugby, athletics, handball, cycling, tennis

Can we not just have this 2022 dullness over and done with already?

No :) "My Kraków" was out 7 months ago and I'm still interested in that dullness Asian race.

My parents always bid for an underdog,

so here it is:

#teamalmaty2014

• Like 1

Can we not just have this 2022 dullness over and done with already? As if any of those two would be great and thrilling options...

Agreed. Although, even though both bids have issues, we know Beijing is the safest choice. It will all be over soon.

Pretty solid except they're in Kazakhstan. They can show you nice looking renderings of everything they have to offer.. but at the end of the day, it's still in Kazakhstan. And I have serious doubts the IOC wants to put their quadrennial event there. Maybe Agenda 2020 helps their cause, but I don't know about that.

Can you list five winter sport events Beijing has hosted?

List for us all the events Sochi had hosted before their Winter Olympics. They had none, yet it seems they managed to handle things pretty well, some issues and legacy problems aside. Part of it is handling the crowds and the crush of people descending upon your city/country. That's the experience Beijing has that Almaty does not.

Agreed. Although, even though both bids have issues, we know Beijing is the safest choice. It will all be over soon.

Beijing is only the safe choice if they plan on throwing billions of dollars at the situation just like they did for 2008. Even then, 'safe' is only a relative term, because they are not a safe choice. They only appear that way when the only competition comes from a central Asian nation that most people couldn't spot on a map and whose most familiar reference is a movie character not even actually from the country. Beijing is more a lack of available options than a choice.