So Beijing won't be a Sochi 2,0? Are you really trusting the organizer's word on a "frugal" games?

Are all You lot really trusting Almaty not to be a low cost Games.

Beijing has proven it's reliable before. Fact. Almaty hasn't. Fact.

Are you really trusting Beijing to be a low cost games? The way your making it sound seems to make Beijing look like the savior of the Olympics. Reliable? Sure. Frugal? Nah.

Considering they were the city which spent the most for the Olympics before being disthroned by Sochi, one has to be naive to think Beijing will be low cost. This is why IOC is pissed off. Whoever wins, they lose.

• Like 1

Almaty won't Host. Almaty = Sochi 2.0, Sochi caused all this, so choosing Almaty will make things worse. Beijing 2022 will happen.

Sochi was basicly Beijing 2.0 so...

It may be low cost games in Beijing city they only have to build one venue for speed skating and the athletes village but lots of the stuff is in Zhangijzhou for snow events and it's an 3rd world city there would require $10s of billion dollars turn it into an world class Olympic and Paralympic ready city and they are saying the 2022 Beijing games would cost $15 Billion to put on the Beijing people are saying which it $3 billion more then Sochi in 2007 said there is going to cost. Sochi was Beijing 2:0 and Beijing 2022 would be Sochi Beijing 3:0 which is the last thing the IOC needs TONY.

Almaty Kazakhstan would be the low cost games they will only have to build two venues to host the games and redo Medeo and Central Stadium and Almaty Kazakhstan would put on an compacted games as well all the venues will be 30 mins away from the athletes and media village.

^^ Uuuh, I dunno, maybe everything? They do have some infrastructure from the 2011 Asian Winter Games (which weren't that bad to be honest but we're talking about a small scale event which was shared with Astana) but its not big enough for the Olympics. Plus, Almaty looks ugly compared to Astana and i'm pretty sure Nazaryavev noticed this and will spend lots of money trying to renovate and change the look of it just like they did with Astana back then.

• Like 1

I used to think Almaty would go way over budget too, but what exactly are they going to spend money on to put them over budget?

Well, how about corruption, for starters. Yes, they have SOME things already, but as has been mentioned many times before, they still have plenty more left to do. Even lip-service Rogge has stated as much.

Not to mention the 2022 preliminary evaluation has defined as such as well.

I don't see what the argument is. The IOC has already says they don't want Almaty 2022. The Evaluation speaks for itself.

Beijing 2022 here we come.

No Tony, the IOC hasn't already said that. The point of the evaluation is that Almaty could host.

Right, bcuz the IOC is well known for being so trustworthy nowadays & everyone believes what they say. Like when they say that Sochi made a "profit".

No wonder cities are running away as fast as they can! And the lastest one being the most credible candidate that was sure to seal this deal, signed & delivered, Oslo. Go figure.

The biggest problem for an Kazakhstan bid is that it's an Islamic country, What is going on in the middle east now I don't think the world is ready for the Islamic world to host an OPG right now. The Kazakhstan is on the cross roads right now will they continue being an an Liberal Secular country once President Nursultran Nazarbayev dies or turn into another Iran and Turkey.

That is what I think Kazakhstan biggest problem right now being in Islamic country I think we might see Beijing China hosting the 2022 Winter Games but it will be an close vote in KL next year.

I think that might be a selling point for the IOC. They get to have their forray in a Muslim country before FIFA does. And amazingly a less controvetial one at that.

Edited by Fox334

True, but I'm pretty sure Yugoslavia as a whole did not have a plurality, let alone a majority, Muslim population. Even today's Bosnia Herzegovina is less than 50% Muslim. Kazakhastan is 70% Muslim.

Edited by Fox334

Ive been thinking lately allot about the Islamic world and I think socially the world is not ready for the Islamic world to host an OPG it will be an long time until they will host an OPG, Beijing China 2022 is the winner for the world socially, Most people I talk to in Australia for the past week wants Beijing China to host it will be great viewing for me as Perth is the same time zone as Beijing unless we have Day Light Saving again which is an great thing to have. .

I think that might be a selling point for the IOC. They get to have their forray in a Muslim country before FIFA does. And amazingly a less controvetial one at that.

Perhaps, depending if Qatar gets to keep the World Cup games and if the games do not change dates to January and February.

But I agree with you that Almaty seems to be a less controversial choice compared to Qatar for a world cup.