So Almaty has committed to bid for 2022. In fact right now, just a month out, they seem like the surest bet to submit a bid. Let's discuss.

I am a big figure skating fan and indeed watching figure skating as a child is how I got interested in the Olympics in the first place. I am a big fan of the young skater Denis Ten, who has a great chance to medal in Sochi and bring Kazakhstan to the world stage in winter sport. I'm not clear on any of Kazkhstan's other accomplishments in winter sport.

All in all, I am not sure I see Almaty as winning for 2022, mostly for geopolitical reasons. However, I hope they make the short list this time so we can really see what they are putting out there. I think they can eventually win, with some perseverance.

• Like 1

Did they launch any official website about the bid? They confirm almost a month ago and I still can't find any information about proposed venues. Do they simply repeat their 2014 bid?

However, I hope they make the short list this time so we can really see what they are putting out there.

I so hope the short list would be longer than just Munich and Oslo. I'd like see at least two underdog candidate cities turning the whole race upside down.

In addition to Munich & Oslo, I now hope that Stockholm does indeed bid, too. They could indeed surprise, & that would be three strong, solid & traditional options that the IOC would have for 2022. And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that were the case that Krakow, Lviv & Almaty could all be overlooked. I think the IOC is still going to continue in going with the safer & established option for probably at least another cycle or two.

In addition to Munich & Oslo, I now hope that Stockholm does indeed bid, too.

Yes, we all hope that 2022 WOG will go either to the Alps or the Scandinavian Mountains. So new, so refreshing, we've never been there before :)

I think the IOC is still going to continue in going with the safer & established option for probably at least another cycle or two.

That's probably what it is going to happen in Kuala Lumpur in 2015...

Any news about the official website of the Almaty bid? I'm definitely more interested in that bid than Munich/Oslo/Stockholm/another-boring-bid.

Yes, we all hope that 2022 WOG will go either to the Alps or the Scandinavian Mountains. So new, so refreshing, we've never been there before :)

The Winter Olympics have never been to Sweden. So yes, that would be new.

I'm definitely more interested in that bid than Munich/Oslo/Stockholm/another-boring-bid.

Ya know, some people talk about what's the big about South Africa. Yet I would have to say the same thing about Almaty. I don't understand why some people make such a big deal about them. I find them to be like the winter version of Baku in relation to an Olympic bid. Plus, we're gonna get a bit of that type of flavor with Sochi in a few months. I'm not that sold.

*big deal about South Africa.

The Winter Olympics have never been to Sweden. So yes, that would be new.

Yes, that would be new for Sweden. it wouldn't be new for the the Scandinavian Mountains. We've seen it last time in 1994.

Don't get me wrong... I kinda like Stockholm bid. I support it more than Oslo bid. I think it'd be quite astonishing if they get to the final vote round with Munich. But I kinda like Munich bid also...

Basically, 2022 WOG bidding process is way interesting for me than 2020 SOG.

Yet I would have to say the same thing about Almaty. I don't understand why some people make such a big deal about them. I find them to be like the winter version of Baku in relation to an Olympic bid. Plus, we're gonna get a bit of that type of flavor with Sochi in a few months. I'm not that sold.

Sochi vs. Almaty? Slavic Russian vs. Turkic Kazakh? Orthodox Christianity vs. Islam? Russia and Kazakhstan are so different as Russia and Korea.

I don't make a big deal about Almaty, I just want to know what they're bidding with.

Sorry for my limited English. I know it's like you're talking to a 4-year-old child :)

Yes, that would be new for Sweden. it wouldn't be new for the the Scandinavian Mountains. We've seen it last time in 1994.

But I kinda like Munich bid also...

Well, it's kinda like the Alps. You also like the Munich bid, but we've been to the Alps many, many times already. And most recently in 2006 in Turin. So going by that logic, it's time to return to the Scandinavian Mountains but this time in a new country.

Sochi vs. Almaty? Slavic Russian vs. Turkic Kazakh? Orthodox Christianity vs. Islam? Russia and Kazakhstan are so different as Russia and Korea.

Sochi is located right next to Chechnya & Dagestan, though. So it's more culturally similar with Kazahkstan than it is to "Slavic" Russia. Afterall, that's why there's so much tension in the Caucasus' against Moscow.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is any way Almaty can actually win (3 games in Asia in a row, second game in a former Soviet country in less than ten years) but I am starting to wonder if they don't have the strongest technical bid. Much of the infrastructure already exists (I think only Oslo would have more existing venues) and it has by far the smallest distance between clusters.

I don't think there is any way Almaty can actually win (3 games in Asia in a row, second game in a former Soviet country in less than ten years) but I am starting to wonder if they don't have the strongest technical bid. Much of the infrastructure already exists (I think only Oslo would have more existing venues) and it has by far the smallest distance between clusters.

They've indeed invested heavily already.

A bad timing. I'm surprised they haven't tried to get more world cup events except the one nordic combined.

Downside is perhaps size of the stadiums, but they could be expanded. And of course turnout and such things. Decent at the 2011 games, but that's not a high profile tournament.

If IOC wants responsibility in unplowed terrain in Asia, Almaty would be an obvious choice.

I doubt Almaty will get the 2022 Games, but I think this bid is an excellent trial run for 2026. Almaty will very likely make the shortlist, so this will give them the experience of making it to the final vote, and they can take the feedback from the IOC and apply it to the 2026 bid. Assuming that the U.S. and Canada sit out 2026 to focus on summer bids, and interest from Europe remains very low, Almaty might only have to get past China to win the 2026 race.

Almaty 2026 is as close to a sure thing as you can get, assuming Oslo does get 2022.

And just how exactly do you know this "sure thing". Do you have an IOC crystal ball or something.

I really don't get what's this total obsession with Almaty with some on here. Investing heavily isn't everything, Baku & Doha (& to a lesser extent, Istanbul) are a testament to this. And Sochi also breaking the bank with 2014, I don't see the IOC wanting to continue this trend, at least in the near-term, when so many good, "traditional" potential hosts are literally running away.

On paper, Almaty may look nice (just like Baku). But in reality, not so much. Geopolitically they'll suffer from the same reasons Baku, Doha, Istanbul did, & why the Ukraine won't get that far either.

Hm, unlike Baku, Almaty already does have some merit in hosting events, like Universiade or speed skating WC at Medeo etc. So they could build on that. It would also have the geograpy to host and it would give the IOC a fourth host option in Asia besides Japan, South Korea and China, assuming that the latter will one day also get WOG.

But indeed, it could end up in a Sochi-esque project and that is a difficult sell nowadays.

Well, so does South Africa, like WC 2010 & the all-Africa Games. Yet some here still make their reservations, even though high-ranking IOC officials have publicly come out in wanting to go to Africa sometime soon. I don't see them doing the same with places like Almaty & Baku.

IMO, the biggest difference between Almaty and Baku/Doha/etc. is that there is likely to be less competition for Almaty in bidding for the Winter Games. I don't see Baku or Doha getting the Summer Games as long as there are still a decent number of A- and B-list cities bidding. 2026 and 2030 could be very slim pickings for the Winter Games. There are no guarantees that the U.S. or Canada will bid for either of those Games, and who knows whether any of the traditional European countries will be able to get enough government and popular support to bid. In that case, Almaty looks like a pretty good option for the IOC, and another new frontier that should have relatively low risk for the IOC.

Precisely why I don't understand this fixation by some with cold, dreary Almaty (& Baku), while at the same time, these same individuals have their objections with "sexy" South Africa. This only suggests to me a bias against a South African bid, cuz it interferes with a bid of their preference in the summer category, unlike Almaty (or Baku).

"IMO, the biggest difference between Almaty and Baku/Doha/etc. is that there is likely to be less competition for Almaty in bidding for the Winter Games."

We could likely see 6 cities applying for 2022, though. Almaty would have to be competing solely against Krakow & Lviv in order to have a chance. Throw in Stockholm, Oslo & even Beijing, & the Kazahk's chances drastically drop.

We could likely see 6 cities applying for 2022, though. Almaty would have to be competing solely against Krakow & Lviv in order to have a chance. Throw in Stockholm, Oslo & even Beijing, & the Kazahk's chances drastically drop.

I'm not talking about Almaty's chances for 2022. I've already said I think they have little chance of winning. I'm referring to Almaty's chances for 2026 and 2030, where there could be very light competition from Europe and none from North America.

• 2 months later...