Rome Won't Be Italy's Candidate For 2024 Olympics

GBModerator

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wowza - I honestly didn't expect that. As far as Europe is concerned - Paris has just been given the status of continental frontrunner delivered to it on a silver plate. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Paris over South Africa or the US for 2024.

As for Rome - it is sad that they again have had to dump plans - but at least they're pragmatic realists, unlike a certain other European capital.

I'm open to the idea of Milan. Honestly though, I don't think it would hold it's own against Paris/US/South Africa like Rome could --- but it has a certain appeal in that it has all the traits that could make it an Italian Barcelona. The only issue with this is that it is VERY close to Turin - do we really want another northern Italian Olympics? Rome was palatable because it was ROME - it almost transcends Italy itself.

But you know what else - as much as I'd hate to admit it - if Paris ALSO knocks back bidding for 2024, and Munich wins 2022 (blocking Berlin, et al. 2024) I'd actually say that MADRID should consider putting itself up for a fourth time for 2024. It could under these sets of circumstances, win it. Think about it: If Durban comes across as unconfident, and the US/Toronto put up uninspired bids - Madrid just might be the city to bring the SOG back to Europe for the first time in 12 years.

I don't see Milan as an Italian Barcelona. Milan is already a highly developed world city. I mean, Rome is kind of in a category all its own due to its world historical importance, but Milan has always been a well-known city. An "Italian Barcelona" would be more like a southern Italian city or something.

I'm not surprised that Rome can't afford to bid and while the idea of a Milan bid is actually quite intriguing, I'd seriously doubt that Italy will be bidding for 2024.

Wow, wasn't CONI the one though, that was saying a month before the 2020 vote that Rome was likely in?! And now this! I agree with RR, though. I don't see Milan as intrigueing as Rome would be. Especially when, as he mentioned, Turin is directly to the west of Milan. Rome is/was at least a total contrast to that & really speaks out "Italian" when one thinks of Italy.

Interesting to read though, that this decision is again bcuz of Rome's financial dire situation. Total contrast pragmatism over another European capital that went on a futile endeavor regardless. And even if it might look rosey, as far as the European chances go, Madrid should still refrain in applying yet again like their mayor suggests. They'd still be facing the same main problems as they did with their 2020 bid. They need to get their house in order first, then come back again with a more compelling plan. Even Milan could still beat them considering those same circumstances. As far as other remaining European options, if Munich's referendum doesn't pass, & 2022 goes to Oslo or Stockholm, perhaps we could still see a Berlin 2024 bid. That would still be very exciting if no Paris or Rome.

I'm open to the idea of Milan. Honestly though, I don't think it would hold it's own against Paris/US/South Africa like Rome could --- but it has a certain appeal in that it has all the traits that could make it an Italian Barcelona. The only issue with this is that it is VERY close to Turin - do we really want another northern Italian Olympics? Rome was palatable because it was ROME - it almost transcends Italy itself.

But you know what else - as much as I'd hate to admit it - if Paris ALSO knocks back bidding for 2024, and Munich wins 2022 (blocking Berlin, et al. 2024) I'd actually say that MADRID should consider putting itself up for a fourth time for 2024. It could under these sets of circumstances, win it. Think about it: If Durban comes across as unconfident, and the US/Toronto put up uninspired bids - Madrid just might be the city to bring the SOG back to Europe for the first time in 12 years.

I don't see Milan as an Italian Barcelona. Milan is already a highly developed world city. I mean, Rome is kind of in a category all its own due to its world historical importance, but Milan has always been a well-known city. An "Italian Barcelona" would be more like a southern Italian city or something.

I'm not surprised that Rome can't afford to bid and while the idea of a Milan bid is actually quite intriguing, I'd seriously doubt that Italy will be bidding for 2024.

2 questions.. what exactly is an Italian Barcelona and what does that have to do with Milan? Cities don't have to be the something of something else to draw a comparison to another city. I'm really SMDH at some of these here.

That all aside... if Italy isn't putting Rome forward as the city, they shouldn't bid. Italy has a lot to offer in terms of majestic cities, but if the IOC is going to come to Italy, their best sales pitch is going to come from Imperial Rome and probably not from Milan.

No direct quotes from Rome there though. The President of the Province of Lombardy is obviously going to back Milan, and the only other quote in that article is about ruling out a joint bid.

Would like to see the quotes from the Mayor of Rome that are mentioned but not actually printed to see how strong his words were.

Interesting nonetheless.

No direct quotes from Rome there though. The President of the Province of Lombardy is obviously going to back Milan, and the only other quote in that article is about ruling out a joint bid.

Would like to see the quotes from the Mayor of Rome that are mentioned but not actually printed to see how strong his words were.

Interesting nonetheless.

I think this could be the source for the Mayor of Rome's comments (in Italian): http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/collection/regioni_lazio/09/28/Marino-Roma-867-mln-debiti-sos-governo_9376153.html

Assuming you trust Google translate, he does seem to say that Rome is in pretty dire straits there.

2 questions.. what exactly is an Italian Barcelona and what does that have to do with Milan? Cities don't have to be the something of something else to draw a comparison to another city. I'm really SMDH at some of these here.

That all aside... if Italy isn't putting Rome forward as the city, they shouldn't bid. Italy has a lot to offer in terms of majestic cities, but if the IOC is going to come to Italy, their best sales pitch is going to come from Imperial Rome and probably not from Milan.

I hear what you're saying about "something of something." I'll try to state it in a more nuanced fashion. People have argued that Barcelona 1992 brought Barcelona onto the world stage, increased their recognition and tourist dollars exponentially, etc. Basically the Olympics were a transformative event for that city.

I don't see Milan as having the potential for such a transformation. I feel like it's already recognized as a world historical city and known for fashion, shopping, industry, etc. There might be places in Italy that could benefit from the Olympics in the way Barcelona did, but I don't see that as being Milan.

I also think it's somewhat of open question as to how repeatable Barcelona's experience is. That may be a once in a century kind of thing.

I hear what you're saying about "something of something." I'll try to state it in a more nuanced fashion. People have argued that Barcelona 1992 brought Barcelona onto the world stage, increased their recognition and tourist dollars exponentially, etc. Basically the Olympics were a transformative event for that city.

I don't see Milan as having the potential for such a transformation. I feel like it's already recognized as a world historical city and known for fashion, shopping, industry, etc. There might be places in Italy that could benefit from the Olympics in the way Barcelona did, but I don't see that as being Milan.

I also think it's somewhat of open question as to how repeatable Barcelona's experience is. That may be a once in a century kind of thing.

I was actually in Barcelona for the first time a couple of months ago. It is an AMAZING city and absolutely what the IOC is looking for when talking about the Olympics transforming a city. But there are so many layers of why that happened that make it virtually impossible for any other city to try and replicate what they did. There are certainly aspects of what Barcelona did that other cities could apply to themselves, but no city out there will be able to replicate Barcelona's experience. Nor should they try. Every city needs to come up with their own narrative, not just to draw comparisons to other successful host cities and say "we're just like them"

A lot of people here (not just you) try and make these city comparisons, but I don't see the point in saying "city X is like country Y's version of city Z." If a city like a Milan or a Rome or whatever else were to land an Olympics, it's going to be because that city has their own appeal, not just because it reminds them of another city.

Milano is an ugly city. Other than La Scala and fashion week, nothing much ever happens in Milan. Its main castle, the Sforza Castle, is an ugly, nondescript landmark. Milano is only good as a jumping off point for the Lake Como area -- one of the most beautiful places on earth; but certainly wouldn't appreciate the Olympic hordes trampling on their shores.

Milano is an ugly city. Other than La Scala and fashion week, nothing much ever happens in Milan. Its main castle, the Sforza Castle, is an ugly, nondescript landmark. Milano is only good as a jumping off point for the Lake Como area -- one of the most beautiful places on earth; but certainly wouldn't appreciate the Olympic hordes trampling on their shores.

I agree on that. Milan is too "gray", ugly and boring to attract voters. I don't see them winning unless the competition is dride or Madrid is competing again :D. Actually Turin is more beautiful albeit smaller. But kudos for the Italians for having common sense -Not like the Castillians-.

Imagine again if Istanbul try to compete again and this time wins. But like Madrid needs a proper change of bid and strategy.

Both are second cities, both are the industrial working engines of their countries economies. Milan's international profile, like Barcelona, would be shaped by the Olympics. Rome is already so prominent it would be left rather unchanged - much like Paris or London.

I was there for business (well as the trip coordinator) and it was amazing. I never had to go to any of the meetings or anything they just got someone from the office (usually a secretary or something) to show me around the city etc. One day her and her husband took me to their home village outside of Torino and it was grandma's cooking. When we were in Rome it was a lot more formal and not the Italy I had expected.

This may sound a but amateurish, but I'm gonna say it: has anyone ever thought of Florence or Venice hosting and using the games in a Barcelona way. The cities already have a strong international and historical reputation, beside space and a few other problems I think both cities could launch a bid that could gauge some interest.

This may sound a but amateurish, but I'm gonna say it: has anyone ever thought of Florence or Venice hosting and using the games in a Barcelona way. The cities already have a strong international and historical reputation, beside space and a few other problems I think both cities could launch a bid that could gauge some interest.

NO

Both are second cities, both are the industrial working engines of their countries economies. Milan's international profile, like Barcelona, would be shaped by the Olympics. Rome is already so prominent it would be left rather unchanged - much like Paris or London.

Sounds like Chicago too.. is Chicago the American Barcelona?

You can't jump ahead to where Milan has already been awarded an Olympics and talk about their international profile. They need that compelling narrative to land an Olympics in the first place and that narrative can't be "we're the 2nd biggest city in this country and we want to be recognized.. you don't need to go to Rome, everyone knows them." Barcelona is different in that regard because of the element of Catalonia and because of their history. That was a huge part of their narrative and virtually no city on the planet could bring such a story to an Olympics. The transformation Barcelona experienced from the Olympics has a lot less to do with them being Spain's "second city" and everything to do with them wanting to be recognized as the Catalan capital.

No.. no one has ever thought of Venice hosting because that's stupid. I mean really really stupid. Pretty sure space would be a pretty big issue for Venice. This may sound a bit douchey, but I'm gonna say it: what the heck are you smoking to come up with that one?

Sounds like Chicago too.. is Chicago the American Barcelona?

You can't jump ahead to where Milan has already been awarded an Olympics and talk about their international profile. They need that compelling narrative to land an Olympics in the first place and that narrative can't be "we're the 2nd biggest city in this country and we want to be recognized.. you don't need to go to Rome, everyone knows them." Barcelona is different in that regard because of the element of Catalonia and because of their history. That was a huge part of their narrative and virtually no city on the planet could bring such a story to an Olympics. The transformation Barcelona experienced from the Olympics has a lot less to do with them being Spain's "second city" and everything to do with them wanting to be recognized as the Catalan capital.

No.. no one has ever thought of Venice hosting because that's stupid. I mean really really stupid. Pretty sure space would be a pretty big issue for Venice. This may sound a bit douchey, but I'm gonna say it: what the heck are you smoking to come up with that one?

What am I smoking, honestly the cities are both extremely well known, Florence is Italy's seventh largest city and like I said it has the international reputation to gauge interest. Once again it was just an idea.

Now seriously the only city at this point that could fight with Milan in the domestic round is Naples, but it may be best I stop suggesting host cities and Italy shouldn't bid.

NO

TORONTO: LORD JESUS PLEASE NO!!!!!!!

What am I smoking, honestly the cities are both extremely well known, Florence is Italy's seventh largest city and like I said it has the international reputation to gauge interest. Once again it was just an idea.

Now seriously the only city at this point that could fight with Milan in the domestic round is Naples, but it may be best I stop suggesting host cities and Italy shouldn't bid.

Then again Naples is the most corrupt city and Florence is arguably more beautiful.

Bernham, come on. Florence and Venice are glittering historical cities with ancient city planning, no venues, no infrastructure. They are magical places that could not possibly be less suited to the Olympics. You totally deserve intoronto's giant "no." Don't yell at him because you don't know what end is up.

Related to this point, in the case of Venice, it's almost a pipe dream. Principal question will be the space and the transportation issues. A currenty Summer Olympics in a small city with clear specifications like Venice would be two ingredients for a potential mess.

Florence is a good choice... in the 50s/60s. Albeit the city is in seventh place in population and relevance, Florence doesn't have the proper development. infrastructure and logistics to get an SOG. Florence is beautiful and charming but a Florence bid will be at best a Leipzig failed bid -And Leipzig is another historical city in the German culture and history-. Barcelona, while an ancient city, it was a growning city with modern buildings and proyects at the time of the voting and clear role in Spanish history.

Milan is ugly and lack of charm, but logistically can make a proper SOG. Turin and Naples are the only two viable -Not sure bets- bids.

Archived