Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony

Again, this is only your personal interpretation - but it's official that the Olympic Rings do not represent any specific continent. So this speculation is useless, I have to say.

You don't know the Trololo man? It was a huge global internet meme in 2010. Here's the video:

And here's the story behind it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Khil#Internet_meme

That's why we already speculated back then that the "Trololo man" (or Eduard Khil, his actual name) should and maybe also would appear in the Sochi ceremonies. Sadly, Eduard Khil died in 2012, so they could only use a slight melodic reference to his song in the space age segment in the OC. But we'll see whether they pay a bigger tribute to Khil in the closing ceremony, since the closings always tend to be more musical and fun ceremonies.

And here's an (in my opinion) even better and funnier live performance by Eduard Khil in 1984. Note the reaction of the tambourine man at minute 1:28 - shows that even in Soviet Russia, they were able to let their hair down and have fun.

LOVE THAT IT'S THERE!!.FTW!!!

Here's Deadspin's full summary of what NBC cut from the OC:

http://deadspin.com/heres-everything-else-nbc-edited-out-of-the-opening-ce-1518875818/@bubbaprog

but their butchering of Bach's speech (yes censorship of the first OC speech by the new head of the IOC) gets a page to itself:

http://deadspin.com/nbc-edits-out-ioc-anti-discrimination-statement-from-op-1518727938

i'm fine with the cut they made. especially the mascot (haunting my dreams still)

FGS, eternal b*tcher!! They only cut out the oaths of Russian official & judges you don't know. They had a respected New York Times columnist, David Remnick there to provide commentary with substance -- to schmooze with Lauer, Vieira and Costas. What are you talking about??

i think the problem with NBC coverage of the ceremonies is not the cut. i get that they need the commercial for money so it's OK. the problem is the commentators. they are the dumbest, uneducated, insensitive combination of morning show host and puff piece journalist.

WHERE IS THAT GOOD COMMENTARY TEAM IN ATHENS? I WOULD SELL MY KINGDOM )and soul) TO HAVE THEM BACK FOR RIO

initial reaction

best bits:

the revolution(ussr)

starting part of war and peace

the carnival and the onion domes(i wanted more of that like the NHS bit in london)

the russian flag raising

and the parade of nations

sad bits:

the olympic rings. they did show a successful version after the lighting of the cauldron.

worst bits:

the mascots are too life like it's scary.

the jellyfish doves of peace

the ship bit ( i think it was entirely a non-starer)

the second half of war and peace (i might need more explanation)

the fireworks (we get it you have money to spend)

the cauldron ( love that they went pass all the ceremonies cast but the lighting was a bit dogey. also the not seeing from the stadium might be and irate for the IOC. of course all rules were in limbo since london)

DRAMA:

bach ( he went all bitchy and told the heads of states that you literally spitting on the athlete's face for not coming to sochi. DRAMA!!!!)

production stand point:

the props and the rail system the made was beautiful. i don't see it as olympic standard but it's beautiful.

i like the use of the floor projectors and films.

some elements of London were there. the forming of the rings, the audience lights (the used medals instead of putting wires in but still the same concept. Disney California adventure has those for there world of color fountain show.) the pillars from war and peace (some will say it's from Beijing but i think it's from London)

the little girl plot device has been done before but ok. the girl was no Nikki Webster.

the constellation part was a bit jarring. it might not be by the second watching.

pacing was good

the camera angles were atrocious (love or hate London, they had good angels to work with.)

these are initial reactions so i might mellow me reaction by the second viewing

second viewing reactions

good bits:

i retract my statement and say both parts of war and peace were good

worst bit:

i demote my statement of the camera angles from atrocious to ok. these a some shots i want to go longer and some that i want to cut. i wish they do a directors cut opening ceremony vid like london did. (they might do it with that fifth ring and all)

drama

bach's speech was censored by NBC.

productions stand point.

the head pros from the soviet bit are a bit squashed. is it an engineering constraint?

does anyone know how supplied the audience lights?

the lines of volunteers should have extended unto the car park.

the lines of volunteers should have extended unto the car park.

I thought about that. 1. I think that was only 1/2 the performers of the show who were stationed at that end of the stadium. They spread you out

2. They were asked to stay in costume. Their costumes were NOT made for outdoor winter night's use. They would have chilled if they were made to stand outside in their NOT heavy wool outfits; and probably still all sweaty. I'm sure you don't want them catching a cold or pneumonia??? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

i think the problem with NBC coverage of the ceremonies is not the cut. i get that they need the commercial for money so it's OK. the problem is the commentators. they are the dumbest, uneducated, insensitive combination of morning show host and puff piece journalist.

WHERE IS THAT GOOD COMMENTARY TEAM IN ATHENS? I WOULD SELL MY KINGDOM )and soul) TO HAVE THEM BACK FOR RIO

Who was it Trautwig, Costas, and Carillo? To me, they are the voices of the Olympics! Athens had great OC commentators!

Who was it Trautwig, Costas, and Carillo? To me, they are the voices of the Olympics! Athens had great OC commentators!

It was Bob Costas and Katie Couric and most of us found their commentary lacking at the time.

I distinctly remember bob humming the music for the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz as the rotating Parthenon passed by during Klepsydra. Juvenile and annoying. I like Bob, but not as an OC commentator.

It was Bob Costas and Katie Couric and most of us found their commentary lacking at the time.

I distinctly remember bob humming the music for the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz as the rotating Parthenon passed by during Klepsydra. Juvenile and annoying. I like Bob, but not as an OC commentator.

No, Athens was Trautwig and Carillo.

Honorary stand was full of IOC dignitaries and different leaders of pseudo democracys. Putin, Lukashenka and the rest of the gang from the former Soviet. Looked like a great chance to serv subpoenas for crimes against human rights.

Oh, they would've hustled away the subpoenis server before you could even say gulag!!

Still letting the OC mull over before a final judgement.

I did feel sorry for the russian military being snubbed on raising the flags and i thought there would be more communist style pomp and circumstance and build up to the anthem. Walking the russian flag into the stadium was missing, which was a shame and the entrance of the cosmonauts was awkward and sloppy. (perhaps this sort of precision/format was consciously avoided to not seem too militaristic).

I suppose the anthem searchlights were quite military rally (I liked the flag with led jackets too), but i felt the first half of the OC was a bit disjointed, the music was a bit stop/start and didn't have the fanfare/formal flow of vancouver. The fanfare for the entrance of the Canadian GG was much more impressive than putins and muscially flowed better into the anthem. As an aside I still think Athens' Firework/Anthem bars musical interlude as anthem finale was so awesome - i would be happy if it were repeated at each OC.

This ceremony leaves a funny situation where the Vancouver OC had a more polished nationalism and pomp and circumstance than a russian OC. That said, IMO Atkins is probably the master of making the official formal ceremony parts feel impressive and tying their flow together.

I thought the second part of the OC (parade of athletes onward was much more cohesive musically and flow wise). They had such a wealth of great classical music to choose from and it was also bold and awesome to mix russian composer legends with tatu.... I imagine there must be some old bearded moscow conductor who was very unhappy when the DJ walked in and messed with Tchaikovsky, but good on them.

It was a great ceremony overall, with some great original ideas.... but in some parts it was very derivative of the sydney OC. Not only the girl dream and theatrical flying but the cogs of industry with gymnasts and giant mechanical horse in the soviet section was almost a direct copy of the tin symphony section of the sydney OC, complete with Gymnasts on cogs and a giant mechanical dragon. I am surprised they did something so similar, maybe it shows how short the global audience memory is outside circles like gamesbids.

The onion dome, star/sport and ballet/projection sections were awesome though.

That sounds like Trautwig and Carillo to me.

Ok.

No kidding, that is not the original broadcast. I see the NBC logo in the corner and I can't explain it, but I have a DVD recorded off the tv with Bob and Katie narrating THE SAME SEGMENTS. I wonder if NBC re-released it later with dubbed commentary by Al and Mary?

I promise you, though, it was Bob and Katie in the original broadcast. Trust me. I know my Athens 2004.

New York Times describes Costas and Couric as co-hosts in their review of the ceremony here: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/14/sports/tv-sports-on-tape-greek-ceremony-was-a-little-lost-in-translation.html

No mention of Trautwig or Carillo.

Tons more reviews if Costas and Couric here: http://business.highbeam.com/435553/article-1G1-120673328/costas-couric-get-together-greek-tragedy

I don't deny that's Trautwig and Carillo on the YouTube video, but I swear that wasn't the original broadcast. Their commentary is a lot better than Bob and Katie's. The only thing I can imagine is that NBC re-released it.

Maybe Trautwig and Carillo did the HD broadcast. They kept mentioning "we'll be right back on NBC HD". I think it was commonplace back then to have different broadcasts in SD and HD, but correct me if I'm wrong.

You beat me to it. That's exactly right. Back then there were two different broadcasts with different commentators. Costas and Couric did NBC and Trautwig and Carillo just did HD affiliates, which back in 2004 was a small percentage of the market. Mystery solved!

I do think Costas and Couric were annoying. Based on what little I've heard, it sounds like Trautwig and Carillo were far better. It sounds like they stuck to the script and did less ad-libbing, which is really what an OC needs. It is NOT Good Morning America.

Thanks for bearing with me.

I had to leave halfway through the athlete's parade, but I enjoyed reading the ongoing commentary on the train on Friday. ;)

Need to find some time to watch the whole thing now I'm back. It's funny that I already have certain expectations of it before I've even seen most of it - the internet can be strange like that.

Edited by Rob.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlUOJdX8lYA

That sounds like Trautwig and Carillo to me.

You beat me to it. That's exactly right. Back then there were two different broadcasts with different commentators. Costas and Couric did NBC and Trautwig and Carillo just did HD affiliates, which back in 2004 was a small percentage of the market. Mystery solved!

I do think Costas and Couric were annoying. Based on what little I've heard, it sounds like Trautwig and Carillo were far better. It sounds like they stuck to the script and did less ad-libbing, which is really what an OC needs. It is NOT Good Morning America.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Take a look at the HD one, my favorite line in the beginning is when Trautwig says, "And that is real water." I laugh every time at the randomness of that comment!

I thought it was very well done, an amazing ceremony. Admittedly, I can't tell if my own animosity toward Russia's domestic issues is shading my view of the event, but overall I thought it was a very relevant, honest, impressive and fun ceremony. The thing I noticed was while it was impressive and very much about "THIS IS RUSSIA" it didn't come across as boring and overbearing like Beijing did - in this way I think it trumps the 2008 ceremony by a mile - there was an odd humbleness to the way Russia self reflected. It is a nation with a remarkable and impressive history, and they told it well.

I personally wasn't as moved as much as I was with the London, Vancouver, Athens and Sydney ceremonies - they were ceremonies with emotion, but again this could be a cultural thing.

I thought Sochi's narrative was well-thought, and it seemed like a 'tighter' show in that regard compared to London. Still letting it sink it --- and I feel like I want to rewatch Vancouver, which I loved, because I feel like 2014 and 2010 are tied for my favourite Winter Olympic opening.

Well done, Sochi. 7/10.

With all of the negative publicity--unfinished venues and hotels, potential terrorist attacks, Russian human rights violations--I expected nothing very valuable or worthwhile at all. But the opening ceremony was wonderful and it was an honorable tribute to a great nation's rich cultural history. And as I watch the competitions on television (despite the sometimes far too jingoistic NBC coverage) I find myself impressed with the spectacular venues and hoping all continues to go well for everyone's sake but especially for the people of a proud nation that is hosting these games. I know the games cost far too much. I know they are laced with corruption. But these games are also sparking a wonderful sense of achievement for the Russian people. These Russian games deserve to be successful and they are well on their way in that direction. These games are also giving Americans a far better vision of Russia than current news stories might provide. Who knows? The Sochi Olympic Winter Games might help improve Russia's ties to the west. I'm all for that.

How could these games improve Russia's ties with the west when journalists are told what they can and can't film. When their leaders deny known facts (like the presence of Gays in Sochi) and above all, when Westerners have to deal with dual toilets and yellow water! ;)

I don't think it would improve anything. Once it's over, there will be a sigh of relief for Western nations, but an uh-oh moment as they'll have to deal with it again in 4 years time.