Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop derailing the thread with fights. PM's exist for a reason, you know?. Also, thanks for the link, Jmark. Glad to see a video without any pesky commentators on it. I myself downloaded thre

A missing 'leg' would have made it appropriate for the Paralympics!!!!

Not only that, but it becomes the blue circle if you look at it from behind.

Im interested in the cauldron lighting question too.

I guess the other thing would be the failed ideas that didn't work for one reason or another.

What was Sochi's dove on a bull and paella, in other words.

Question time now closed. Some good ones there. Thanks. Will send them off to the source tonight. Let's wait a few days before I hear back.

Since some posters here (who has since been blighted off my screen) are unbelievably vicious and snarky, I have therefore decided to just send out the reply to your particular query privately. I was going to share in a free, open and generous spirit but evidently there are also malevolent shadows infesting this board.

@OlympicsFan97, I consider this matter IP since it is the product of my hard-work and efforts, and will share it accordingly with people here who are sincerely interested and at least have interfaced with and treated me civilly. No ifs; no but's. I really don't need the other wretched and judgmental souls here.

Please clear your Inboxes and/or send me your emails.

P.S. Those on my "no-fly" zone so far: TonyE, Bernham, Alexjc and Jackelso, AthensF and krow (off and on)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Question time now closed. Some good ones there. Thanks. Will send them off to the source tonight. Let's wait a few days before I hear back.

Since some posters here (who has since been blighted off my screen) are unbelievably vicious and snarky, I have therefore decided to just send out the reply to your particular query privately. I was going to share in a free, open and generous spirit but evidently there are also malevolent shadows infesting this board.

@OlympicsFan97, I consider this matter IP since it is the product of my hard-work and efforts, and will share it accordingly with people here who are sincerely interested and at least have interfaced with and treated me civilly. No ifs; no but's. I really don't need the other wretched and judgmental souls here.

Please clear your Inboxes and/or send me your emails.

P.S. Those on my "no-fly" zone so far: TonyE, Bernham, Alexjc and Jackelso, AthensF and krow (off and on)

Just to make note, not that Baron can see this, Baron has me on his ignore list because I proved him wrong on my identity.

Just to make note, not that Baron can see this, Baron has me on his ignore list because I proved him wrong on my identity.

I'm on it because I called him out on how he should stop taunting people. Anyway's his tastes in ceremonies revolve around large mechanical set pieces (IE Why he HATES Athens 2004, but LOVES Beijing 2008 and Sochi 2014) and his tastes in ceremonies will soon be outdated as organizers will tend to go for things that excite interests us 'newbies'.

Though blocking him as well has made my GB experience the more enjoyable. :D

I'm on it because I called him out on how he should stop taunting people. Anyway's his tastes in ceremonies revolve around large mechanical set pieces (IE Why he HATES Athens 2004, but LOVES Beijing 2008 and Sochi 2014)

I assume that by "mechanical" there you mean "people behaving in a mechanical fashion" rather than literally "mechanical" (for which Athens set the gold standard with its Cycladic head etc.). I think you're being hard on Sochi- they had a lot of mass-movement, but it was created from a ballet tradition, so there was a mixture of genuinely "mechanical" (the waving flag, the parade through the streets of St. Petersburg) and exuberant dance (Chudo Yudo fish whale, the Tolstoy ballroom scene, Moscow life after the Patriotic War).

Hi Baron, thanks for forwarding the questions (even if I saw your call for questions too late and couldn't participate). Could you send me all the answers you got, too? I'm particularly interested in the answer what led to the change in the cauldron lighting, but in the other answers at all. Thanks! My inbox is emptied.

Latest: I think I may have scared him away by submitting 9 questions/topics. He is a busy professional...and maybe I was asking too much. So I whittled it down to just 3 areas...and hopefully that's brief enough for him to respond.

Re the rejected production ideas: I already know 2 of them from another source...but you'll get the full story in the updated 2014 edition of my book...which I hope will be available this early June.

Oops...just heard from him. He just got back from Europe and has been short of time. He now says he will try to respond to as most as he can from the original 9. So we might still get lucky.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I hoped they would show the practice footage for the rings :(

Why should they? That was only trickery by Russian TV in order to fake that everything went as planned. What you see in that official IOC video is the OBS footage, the so-called "world picture" (as it is called here in Germany at least) which was fed to TV stations worldwide. And the OBS didn't cut away to rehearsal footage during the live broadcast of the ceremony.

Why should they? That was only trickery by Russian TV in order to fake that everything went as planned. What you see in that official IOC video is the OBS footage, the so-called "world picture" (as it is called here in Germany at least) which was fed to TV stations worldwide. And the OBS didn't cut away to rehearsal footage during the live broadcast of the ceremony.

side note, i'm trying to PM you something super important to me that will greatly inconvenience you but your box is full, which greatly inconveniences me.

• 4 months later...

That's what makes the clip so interesting, given the cobbled-together cauldron lighting they actually ended up with.

From that clip though, I don't see how that could've become a cauldron -- and it doesn't tie in with the "Firebird" idea in any way. After all, Tsypin did tell me that they just decided to go simple after the rest of the complexity of the show -- or I guess after such a wild idea as above proved totally impractical.

From that clip though, I don't see how that could've become a cauldron -- and it doesn't tie in with the "Firebird" idea in any way. After all, Tsypin did tell me that they just decided to go simple after the rest of the complexity of the show -- or I guess after such a wild idea as above proved totally impractical.

It certainly doesn't tie in with the Firebird, but the mega-orrery look of it would fit in quite nicely with the final sequence of the ceremony, showing athletes as constellations.