Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony

The venues are fine, you say NONE of the hotels are finished, well this is just pure lies, yeah some were unfinished but a small percentage

Security was looked at and increased after the bombings a few weeks before, so how can you say that they are ignoring safety concerns.

The track that was causing the injuries was remodeled and is now fine.

So what you are saying is 'utter dribble'

Yeah, some of the hotels aren't finished but those that are certainly aren't finished to an international standard. As to security they are not cooperating with other international agencies. Those bombings before the games shouldn't have happened and the track should have been working in the first place. Sochi is just unprepared for the games. It's not dribble it's serious concern both for athletes, game attendees and the IOC.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop derailing the thread with fights. PM's exist for a reason, you know?. Also, thanks for the link, Jmark. Glad to see a video without any pesky commentators on it. I myself downloaded thre

A missing 'leg' would have made it appropriate for the Paralympics!!!!

Not only that, but it becomes the blue circle if you look at it from behind.

So what is it, NONE or SOME of the hotels not finished? You say one thing then say another once you are proved wrong.

Russia does not need to cooperate with other security agencies, its not a case of saying those bombings should never have happened, terror attacks happen almost everywhere, despite the best efforts of governments and agencies to prevent them

And you seem to forget that a Luger died just before the Opening Ceremony of Vancouver 2010 = worse than Sochi

Two people died and multiple injured in bombing in Centenial Park in Atlanta 1996 = Worse than Sochi

Israeli athletes were kidnapped and murdered in Munich 1972 = Worse than Sochi

Yet to you Sochi is the worst host fo the games

As I noted before, surely the ceremony was shown live to Russian audiences, only to be edited for news reports later. So most of them must have seen the glitch once.

No, the ceremony (like most of Sochi's coverage it seems) was delayed by 45 seconds for TV audiences. And the director was able to spot what was going on pretty quickly (you could see the fifth ring was failing before the others were completely open) so they switched to rehearsal footage. Russian TV audiences did not see the failure like those of us watching the world feed did.

That said, of course most of them now know it happened.

But OFFICIALLY they didn't see it and it didn't happen, so I'm with Baron, I don't think they'll make a play on that mistake during the closing.

So what is it, NONE or SOME of the hotels not finished? You say one thing then say another once you are proved wrong.

Russia does not need to cooperate with other security agencies, its not a case of saying those bombings should never have happened, terror attacks happen almost everywhere, despite the best efforts of governments and agencies to prevent themAnd you seem to forget that a Luger died just before the Opening Ceremony of Vancouver 2010 = worse than Sochi

Two people died and multiple injured in bombing in Centenial Park in Atlanta 1996 = Worse than Sochi

Israeli athletes were kidnapped and murdered in Munich 1972 = Worse than Sochi

Yet to you Sochi is the worst host fo the games

I used the wrong word in my first post but yes I mean SOME of the hotels aren't finished and those that are finished aren't to an international standard. The luger who died in 2010 did not die as the result of a faulty track so there is no comparison. Both 1972 and 1996 were very different times, post 9/11 before the war on terror. Now days it is important for international organisations to cooperate and bombings before the games should not have happened if Sochi was running security properly at that point. I am not trying to say that Sochi is the worst games in history, that we can't evaluate until the end, but that it has proven to be quite unprepared for a games of this magnitude. We'll have to see if PeyongChang would have been a better host for this games.

Sochi has not been unprepared for these games, all of there venues were completed on time and from scratch, do you remember Athens, they too had problems, plus Brazil has stadia not completed only 4 months from the world cup

At the end of the day, other games have been much worse than Sochi, even though Sochi has only had minor, miniscule issues.

Sochi 2014 will be remembered as being a safe games, with excellent sporting contests played out in spectacular venues.

Perhaps you should actually go to Russia and look at get a first hand perspective on the points you raise.

Edited by Scotguy

I used the wrong word in my first post but yes I mean SOME of the hotels aren't finished and those that are finished aren't to an international standard. The luger who died in 2010 did not die as the result of a faulty track so there is no comparison. Both 1972 and 1996 were very different times, post 9/11 before the war on terror. Now days it is important for international organisations to cooperate and bombings before the games should not have happened if Sochi was running security properly at that point. I am not trying to say that Sochi is the worst games in history, that we can't evaluate until the end, but that it has proven to be quite unprepared for a games of this magnitude. We'll have to see if PeyongChang would have been a better host for this games.

There is no comparison? you said that the sochi track had caused injuries and is putting lives at risk, yet the vancouver track actually took a life. How do you know that eh Russians do not cooperated with other agencies? Do you work for the secret service? Sochi was running securely properly at that point, the bombings were not in Sochi, the Sochi organisers nor indeed the Russian Government can stop all terrorist attacks throughout the country, do you realise how big russia is? And post 9/11 there has been terroist attacks in London, Madrid, Boston, Oslo - should they have stopped those too?

You just need to think about what you are saying before the words pour out. And yes, you are right there is no comparison to the other games, as Sochi has not let things become as bad as the others games.

You seem to have a very rosy outlook on Sochi. can't wait to see how you react when something goes wrong in Glasgow.

Why should something go wrong, The Commonwealth Games Federation has said that Glasow is one of the most prepared cities, plus if problems do arise, like they most probably will, like in all games, i am sure the organisers will try and fix it as best they can.

You seem to be a very pessimistic person, stop wanting/expecting things to go wrong and just enjoy the sporting games.

There is no comparison between the luger and the track in Sochi because the lugers death was not caused by a badly built track but all accidents to date in Sochi have been the result of the badly built track. and they haven't been working with int agencies because the Americans are critizing then for not doing so. And the reason the bombing should have been stopped is because they should have been expecting it unlike some of the other terrorist acts you have mentioned.

I have a rosy outlook on Sochi because i know that the games are going well despite constant jibes and nitpicking against them, because some people want them to fail.

My mother is Russian and i have been there many times and lived there for many years and have friends and family still there, so just like the British members with London and Aussies with Sydney and Canadians with Vancouver, i feel a connection to these games and will defend them to the last, and if there is a major mistake or catastrphe, then i will be the first to condemn the organisers, but so far they, along with the volunteers, athletes and general Rusian people have put on a fantastic world class show.

So get it right up ye!! (The Scot's in me there) :P

• Like 1

Why should something go wrong, The Commonwealth Games Federation has said that Glasow is one of the most prepared cities, plus if problems do arise, like they most probably will, like in all games, i am sure the organisers will try and fix it as best they can.

You seem to be a very pessimistic person, stop wanting/expecting things to go wrong and just enjoy the sporting games.

Of course something is going to go wrong, you can't plan an event if that scale without something going wrong but you are just going to brush it under the carpet like it doesn't matter.

I have a rosy outlook on Sochi because i know that the games are going well despite constant jibes and nitpicking against them, because some people want them to fail.

My mother is Russian and i have been there many times and lived there for many years and have friends and family still there, so just like the British members with London and Aussies with Sydney and Canadians with Vancouver, i feel a connection to these games and will defend them to the last, and if there is a major mistake or catastrphe, then i will be the first to condemn the organisers, but so far they, along with the volunteers, athletes and general Rusian people have put on a fantastic world class show.

So get it right up ye!! (The Scot's in me there) :P

I don't want them to fail. Let's stop this conversation and I accept your (rosy) world view and maybe you can accept my (somewhat cautious) world view.

There is no comparison between the luger and the track in Sochi because the lugers death was not caused by a badly built track but all accidents to date in Sochi have been the result of the badly built track. and they haven't been working with int agencies because the Americans are critizing then for not doing so. And the reason the bombing should have been stopped is because they should have been expecting it unlike some of the other terrorist acts you have mentioned.

OMG, what is up with you, seriously. You are implying that injuries are more serious than a death because it wasn't the tracks fault. Ofcourse the Americans are going to critisise the Russian Government, that is a no brainer. You cant police everywhere 24/7 to ensure no one lets of a bomb, no country can ever do that.

We could put your logic to a different scenario, RWC2011 opening night, Auckland Waterfront, too crowded, public transport in shambles - if we apply your logic, that shouldn't of happened because organisers should have expected record mass crowds to the event, but they didnt.

Just take a few seconds at leat, to think about what you are writing.

• Like 1

Of course something is going to go wrong, you can't plan an event if that scale without something going wrong but you are just going to brush it under the carpet like it doesn't matter.

I don't want them to fail. Let's stop this conversation and I accept your (rosy) world view and maybe you can accept my (somewhat cautious) world view.

Now you can see into the future. Alright Marty McFly, stick to the day job

• Like 2

OMG, what is up with you, seriously. You are implying that injuries are more serious than a death because it wasn't the tracks fault. Ofcourse the Americans are going to critisise the Russian Government, that is a no brainer. You cant police everywhere 24/7 to ensure no one lets of a bomb, no country can ever do that.

We could put your logic to a different scenario, RWC2011 opening night, Auckland Waterfront, too crowded, public transport in shambles - if we apply your logic, that shouldn't of happened because organisers should have expected record mass crowds to the event, but they didnt.

Just take a few seconds at leat, to think about what you are writing.

In not saying the death is not important in saying it doesn't compare. It wasn't vanoc's fault he died yet the injuries in Sochi are the organising committees responsibility.

As for the RWC over crowding and public transport fails was because the organisers of that event were incompetent like most organisations in NZ. But the security in Sochi should have no room for incompetency.

Now you can see into the future. Alright Marty McFly, stick to the day job

When has an event with 6000+ athletes alone to run smoothly. You've pointed out the issues of the past Olympic games and let's not forget Delhi 2010. Why should Glasgow be any different.

Can someone else please help me out here, am i just deluded and his points are right? i feel like i am giving a speech on evolution to a group of Vatican priests

When has an event with 6000+ athletes alone to run smoothly. You've pointed out the issues of the past Olympic games and let's not forget Delhi 2010. Why should Glasgow be any different.

I have never said that major sporting events run smoothly, if i have then please repost when i have said that. Glasgow will have its issues, ofcourse, but i am not preempting them, i will take any as they come, i am just looking forward to enjoying personally the 2014 games, maybe you should come along too, rather than criticising from your home with fictional and outrageous posts.

Ok. I believe you there is nothing wrong with Sochi. All games in the past have run perfectly smoothly. I have trust in Olympic organising committees to fix any problems that do occur, there is no way to prevent terrorism and that things with no relation to a particular problem are more important, even when not judging importance, just because someone died. I just need to focus on the sport (which I'm not into anyway) and follow my life in the way of a ScotGuy.

Ok. I believe you there is nothing wrong with Sochi. All games in the past have run perfectly smoothly. I have trust in Olympic organising committees to fix any problems that do occur, there is no way to prevent terrorism and that things with no relation to a particular problem are more important, even when not judging importance, just because someone died. I just need to focus on the sport (which I'm not into anyway) and follow my life in the way of a ScotGuy.

Sigh, a great place to leave this convo indeed.