Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop derailing the thread with fights. PM's exist for a reason, you know?. Also, thanks for the link, Jmark. Glad to see a video without any pesky commentators on it. I myself downloaded thre

A missing 'leg' would have made it appropriate for the Paralympics!!!!

Not only that, but it becomes the blue circle if you look at it from behind.

Apart from the Cauldron, Sydney also had a couple of other glitches, one also involving Olympic Rings, although not as stark as Sochi's rings malfunction.

Once the huge sheet of material was passed over the athletes heads on the stadium floor, the Olympic Rings were projected on to the material and one of the rings clearly was missing a 'chunk'.

Another glitch was when one section of the Sydney Harbour Bridge on the huge hanging 'Eternity' banner failed to fire when the pyrotechnics ignited the rest of it.

- I chauked up the Rings issue to the projection technology not being quite up to the same standard at the time

- Yes, I remember that error as well. But I was totally blown away seeing those pyrotechnics coming out of thin air!

Vancouvers mistake with the cauldron was the biggest, having their cauldron not appear properly and one of the lighters standing their looking awkward. The most important part of an olympic ceremony and they blew it. Most ceremonies have their mistakes but people are just picking more on the Sochi one because its Sochi and that is just pathetic.

The Sochi games are turning out to be a great success and the haters cant handle that.

Edited by Scotguy
  • Like 2

Vancouvers mistake with the cauldron was the biggest, having their cauldron not appear properly and one of the lighters standing their looking awkward. The most important part of an olympic ceremony and they blew it. Most ceremonies have their mistakes but people are just picking more on the Sochi one because its Sochi and that is just pathetic.

The Sochi games are turning out to be a great success and the haters cant handle that.

..totally agree.

vancouver was the GOLD standard glitch.

..totally agree.

vancouver was the GOLD standard glitch.

But they really made up for it at the beginning of the closing ceremony.

On that point, I would love if sochi repeated the rings segment in their closing, but inverting the issue, ie the one that didn't open opens and the other four stay closed.

It would be a good way to convince the world that russia can be 'fun'

• Like 3

On that point, I would love if sochi repeated the rings segment in their closing, but inverting the issue, ie the one that didn't open opens and the other four stay closed.

that would be fun to smile at :lol:

• Like 1

Watched the OC again over the weekend. I loved the use of music and the props, they were magnificently Russian. One thing I didn't like though was how empty the stage looked in-between... I think it's the way the spectators were seated, the stage floor looked like a huge empty street waiting for the marching parade to come through.

The cauldron lighting sucked though... huge disappointment after the best ever from London.

One thing I didn't like though was how empty the stage looked in-between...

Unless you build a stadium/arena specifically just for ceremonies, that's just how it will always be w/ existing football or T&F stadia. The producers will just have to deal with the size of the stage accordingly, and fill it with performers at the right moments.

Unless you build a stadium/arena specifically just for ceremonies, that's just how it will always be w/ existing football or T&F stadia. The producers will just have to deal with the size of the stage accordingly, and fill it with performers at the right moments.

Maybe it's just me but I never got the same feeling from London/Vancouver/Beijing/Torino/Athens/SLC/all other ceremonies

I think it's because the two sides are empty and not surrounded by people, and the stage is a bland open area with no shapes or curves. The movement of the show is mainly moving pieces from right to left so I guess the camera work couldn't do much also for the in-between segments.

Maybe it's just me but I never got the same feeling from London/Vancouver/Beijing/Torino/Athens/SLC/all other ceremonies

I think it's because the two sides are empty and not surrounded by people, and the stage is a bland open area with no shapes or curves. The movement of the show is mainly moving pieces from right to left so I guess the camera work couldn't do much also for the in-between segments.

SLC of all the regular 4-sided stadia, had the coziest infield. Of the ski jump bowls, then it's between Innsbruck and Lillehammer.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

This might sound funny- but the huge bare,cold expanses (of the stadium floor) are in a way symbolic of the huge expanses of Russia- I felt it added a monumental scale like the country itself.

Alternatively London and the UK are a crowded little isle, as displayed on the floor of the stadium during Green and Pleasant land, Pandemonium and London Music Scenes.

This might sound funny- but the huge bare,cold expanses (of the stadium floor) are in a way symbolic of the huge expanses of Russia- I felt it added a monumental scale like the country itself.

Yeah, but you shouldn't be charging $1500+/seat for people to stare at an empty stage -- no matter how big or small. It's not right.

Yeah, but you shouldn't be charging $1500+/seat for people to stare at an empty stage -- no matter how big or small. It's not right.

But it could be argued that the patrons of Sochi had more to look at - consistently throughout the evening - than their London counterparts did.

But it could be argued that the patrons of Sochi had more to look at - consistently throughout the evening - than their London counterparts did.

It's not really quantity but quality. They threw in everything including the kitchen sink in London; Sochi was a more leavened, concentrated show...of 'less is more' and a simpler, easy to understand narrative.

Yeah and that it needs to copy everything from the rest of the world. The similarity to London and Sydney in the OC may have gone over the heads of the average viewer but anyone who saw the start of the Vancouver CC would instantly see the immense (unforgivable similarity).

Watched the OC again over the weekend. I loved the use of music and the props, they were magnificently Russian. One thing I didn't like though was how empty the stage looked in-between... I think it's the way the spectators were seated, the stage floor looked like a huge empty street waiting for the marching parade to come through.

The cauldron lighting sucked though... huge disappointment after the best ever from London.

Agreed on the cauldron, but as for the "empty" stage, I had the impression that, for the most part, the vanguard of each new scene entered screen right as the last of the previous scene were leaving (just off screen left, but I'd guess still visible to the stadium spectators). Certainly, this left the bulk of the field of play empty, but I think the spectators always had something to look at and listen to.

I'm having a hard time seeing how Sochi had an unforgivable similarity to Vancouver? What was so unforgivable about it?

It doesn't currently but if they did do a skit or anything about the oc failure in the cc then it would be unforgivingly similar to Vancouver. And that would just amplify the amount of copying they have done from previous games, London and Sydney in particular.

And I also agree with others that Vancouver cauldron fail was a far worse failure than the ring fail and that everyone just likes Sochi-bashing. They do deserve some stick for what they have done (Anti-Gay laws, slack security and shabby venues) but not the whole "this game it's gonna be a fail" mindset purely based on political views.

It doesn't currently but if they did do a skit or anything about the oc failure in the cc then it would be unforgivingly similar to Vancouver. And that would just amplify the amount of copying they have done from previous games, London and Sydney in particular.

But how is that an 'unforgivable' similarity? If they want to refer to the rings at the closing ceremony - then so be it. Let them. It's not like VANOC has some kind of intellectual copywrite - and how is that any different to any other cultural performance which has borrowed elements from other events. Some might say its copying Vancouver - but as it was a mistake in the first place, I don't see how that is so horrifying to laugh at it again down the track----- This is exactly what the Closing Ceremony is about, it is a light hearted review of the previous two weeks.

And I also agree with others that Vancouver cauldron fail was a far worse failure than the ring fail and that everyone just likes Sochi-bashing. They do deserve some stick for what they have done (Anti-Gay laws, slack security and shabby venues) but not the whole "this game it's gonna be a fail" mindset purely based on political views.

Slack security and shabby venues - are you serious? What exactly are you referring to? I am one of these people who have been hard on Sochi for political reasons, but I don't exactly think the venues are shabby or there is slack security. I think the design elements of some of the venues leave a lot to be desired, but overall Sochi has spent big on all kinds of infrastructure - and it shows.

• Like 3

But how is that an 'unforgivable' similarity? If they want to refer to the rings at the closing ceremony - then so be it. Let them. It's not like VANOC has some kind of intellectual copywrite - and how is that any different to any other cultural performance which has borrowed elements from other events. Some might say its copying Vancouver - but as it was a mistake in the first place, I don't see how that is so horrifying to laugh at it again down the track----- This is exactly what the Closing Ceremony is about, it is a light hearted review of the previous two weeks.

Agreed- and I think if they set aside 3 or 4 minutes for it, they could do a full number featuring the Rings which would be both funny and impressive.

Agreed- and I think if they set aside 3 or 4 minutes for it, they could do a full number featuring the Rings which would be both funny and impressive.

NOT gonna happen - and because as explained previously, how do you explain the 'switcheroo' in the Opening to the Russian domestic audience? Too much defensive explaining to do if they did a Vancouver-type thing. The Vancouver 'save' I think will only have happened for Vancouver. Sochi will not dwell on its one little glitch. Vancouver's was a far bigger black-eye which...to use a pun...cried for some sort of 'tongue-in-cheek- redo because it was supposed to be the climax of their show; and it failed grandly. Sochi's faux pax is such a negligible glitch which only GB-ders dwell upon and like to spin tales about for lack of anything else substantial to say about the show.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

IF (and it is a big if) Sochi used some humour in the CC regarding the rings, it would not be a copy of the Vancouver humour because it is not as if they planned to have 20 percent of the rings fail!

It would only be a copy if they pulled a rubber chicken out of the 'stuck' ring!

It would be fun to open the Closing with the 4 rings up, with scaffolding and hundreds of 'soviet' workers working on the snowflake.... then it opens and they disappear!