Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony

How is that a coincidence, as much as it is you bolding the capital letters of certain words in English. (the Czar and Putin do not use the roman alphabet!)

However, in Russian Peter and Putin do start with the same character, as do Sochi and Saint. To be picky, you could point out that Baron is mixing first and last names with Peter and Putin.

However, in Russian Peter and Putin do start with the same character, as do Sochi and Saint. To be picky, you could point out that Baron is mixing first and last names with Peter and Putin.

True, but Peter and Catherine were never known or called Peter Romanov or Katherine Romanov. If anything, they were probably (bastard) descendants of Alexander the Great!! :wacko: Like Cher, Prince and Beyonce, they went by their first names...and were the Greats!! B)

Obviously, they also had great press agents!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I have just rewatched the Vancouver closing ceremony and I have been stricken by how much the Sochi segment four years ago prefigures the opening ceremony: choice of music, final torchbearers, general look... I am not sure we have ever seen so much consistency four years apart so far.

Edited by hektor

I have just rewatched the Vancouver closing ceremony and I have been stricken by how much the Sochi segment four years ago prefigures the opening ceremony: choice of music, final torchbearers, general look... I am not sure we have ever seen so much consistency four years apart so far.

Much of the music was fairly predictable. I mean I knew from Day 1 that they would use Stravinsky's FIRE BIRD suite for the Lighting of the Torch. And how can Russia (or any culturally rich country) not use their world-class classical pieces??

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Hi everyone. :)

My father recently returned from Sochi, where he was working.

He attended the OC, and as such received an audience kit, I've taken some pics of it which I'll link here. It includes the medallion. If anyone wants any specific pictures taken, just ask. :)

Here it is.

Hope you enjoy. :)

• Like 2

He attended the OC, and as such received an audience kit, I've taken some pics of it which I'll link here. It includes the medallion. If anyone wants any specific pictures taken, just ask. :)

Here it is.

love the medallion. it the same concept as london's but you get a great souvenir after the event. as some nigh sayers on the london OC tread, i think the audience lights will be a fixture in future opening ceremonies

Here it is.

What's your dad's job that makes him travel to every Olympics?

Here it is.

Thanks alpha. What does the "impact mode" for the medallion involve?

Cool. Thanks for sharing Alpha. Tried to PM but your Inbox is full.

Fixed :)

Thanks alpha. What does the "impact mode" for the medallion involve?

When you tap it it lights up. My father didn't use it at the ceremony, so the tab that keeps it off is still in there, but that's what he said was happening to them after the show.

What's your dad's job that makes him travel to every Olympics?

Works for a supplier doing IT.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just heard from one of the key conceptualizers, if you will, of the Sochi OC. He offered to answer any questions, w/in reason, of the OC. Thus, I am offering to those NOT on my IGNORE list, to put forth any questions about the recent OC that they may want to ask. Of course, I will parse the question in that it doesn't jeopardize or conflict w/ my communication with this person. And even if I forward your query, there's no guarantee source may answer it. Obviously, he has the choice to answer only ?s which he feels he can share info on.

I'll give u guys 24 hours to post here...before I formulate my answer to this person. This is from the horse's mouth.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I don't know whose IGNORE lists I'm on, but anyway, one thing that intrigues me:

What were the rules governing the use of video cameras by performers & staff (and indeed by those attending rehearsals and the final performance)? I'm astonished by the lack of footage appearing on either Youtube or Rutube.

I don't know whose IGNORE lists I'm on, but anyway, one thing that intrigues me:

What were the rules governing the use of video cameras by performers & staff (and indeed by those attending rehearsals and the final performance)? I'm astonished by the lack of footage appearing on either Youtube or Rutube.

U're not, JMark..at least not yet. ;)

But I can tell you that right now. It's strictly a no-no in rehearsals. And if u're comparing it to London where they were more lackadaisical about it; remember, this is Russia where they tend to be more cowed by authority. And being nearly the entire show was rehearsed indoors...therefore a lot of outdoor, i.e., aerial overhead 'ambush' footage would be non-existent. There was that official 51 minute behind-the-scene footage/documentary which has been posted here. As for during the actual performance, there are one or 2 there but I think obviously, the Russians who attended didn't come with more expensive video recorders that are more numerous in the West. From foreigners, I don't know why many have not appeared. Let me think if I will toss that ? to him.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well I know I'm on his ignore list so if someone could quote me so Baron can see my question or ask it for me that would be great!

How did organizers decide to portray the Soviet era and create the transition between Royal and Communist Russia without offending anyone out and keeping icons from that period in Russian history?

Just heard from one of the key conceptualizers, if you will, of the Sochi OC. He offered to answer any questions, w/in reason, of the OC. Thus, I am offering to those NOT on my IGNORE list, to put forth any questions about the recent OC that they may want to ask. Of course, I will parse the question in that it doesn't jeopardize or conflict w/ my communication with this person. And even if I forward your query, there's no guarantee source may answer it. Obviously, he has the choice to answer only ?s which he feels he can share info on.

I'll give u guys 24 hours to post here...before I formulate my answer to this person. This is from the horse's mouth.

Wow.. a bunch of people accuse Baron of being a washed-up has been (never been?) fraud, and suddenly he's got a connection to a super-secret inside source, who will only communicate through Baron to this forum, and only using special coded communication. Fascinating.

/\/\ I didn't have to post this or share this info w/ anyone. And that's why posting here on GB with the likes of you sux. What a true shmuck u are. Back to IGNORE you go, you maggot.

Rob, I'll just give u the reply (when I get it) in private due to the hostile environment here.

Edited by baron-pierreIV