Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony

Nice that NBC will carry the Opening Ceremonies on an 9 hours time delay

NOT everybody NEEDS to watch the Opening live and doesn't mind commercials. Some people have to go to work ya know...like policemen, nurses, doctors, etc. -- people who will be ready to HELP you in case you get caught in a terrorist attack in a supermarket or something... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

NOT everybody NEEDS to watch the Opening live and doesn't mind commercials. Some people have to go to work ya know...like policemen, nurses, doctors, etc. -- people who will be ready to HELP you in case you get caught in a terrorist attack in a supermarket or something... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

For the people who have to work at the live event time, there's iPlayer.

Or not, as the case may be. :angry:

For Godsake!!!!! The emotion is watching it live!!!!

For the latest Summer Olympics (Beijng and London) in Chile they broadcasted live and they repeat the full ceremony at prime time.

In London, both TV channels who covered live the Opening Ceremony repeated the Ceremony at prime hour, obtaining high ratings, as well.

For Winter Olympics is more difficult, despite we have a lot of natural condtitions to host the OWG we are in SUMMER!!! and no major interest is giteen by people.

In Torino and Vancouver, they higlighted ceremonies and events everyday and on weekends full evening wirh recorded and live events (despite no having major attention)

This time, sadly, open TV channels will no cover anything and we have to watch them on ESPN or Fox Sports that will cover events (including both ceremonies) full time for Latin America, also on the Internet in www.unotv.co. Vancouver was broadcaested live by ESPN and they repeted full opening ceremonies during the night and in the morning next day. I don't now about repetition this time... Anyway, Internet coverage will have different channels where you can choose what you want to watch (as we watched Vancouver and London Olympics and Guadalajara Pan Ams) For me Internet coverage is far better than TV.

Waching delay ceremonies where the whole world (literally) is discusing about it on Social Networks, really have no sense and rid off all the emotion of live event...

If you want to watch LIVE events in Sochi you can watch them on

www.unotv.com

It's a Mexican site. On Internet you can choose live events covered on different live channels.

Up to London Olympics, there were "on air" channel according to the events that are going on....

Sometimes it can reach up to 9 or 10 "on air" channels at a time. Channel 1 is with commentaries but the others don't.

An excelent option to watch live Olympics.

It's a system just for Latin America, but there are programs on the web that make you able to change the ID of yor country in your PC...

Order of Nations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Winter_Olympics_Parade_of_Nations

Countries will follow the Russian Language

Greece (GRE)
Australia (AUS)
Austria (AUT)
Azerbaijan (AZE)
Albania (ALB)
Andorra (AND)
Argentina (ARG)
Armenia (ARM)
Belarus (BLR)
Belgium (BEL)
Bermuda (BER)
Bulgaria (BUL)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (BIH)
Brazil (BRA)
British Virgin Islands (IVB)
Great Britain (GBR)
Hungary (HUN)
Venezuela (VEN)
Virgin Islands (ISV)
Timor-Leste (TLS)
Germany (GER)
Hong Kong, China (HKG)
Georgia (GEO)
Denmark (DEN)
Dominica (DMA)
Zimbabwe (ZIM)
Israel (ISR)
Islamic Republic of Iran (IRI)
Ireland (IRL)
Iceland (ISL)
Spain (ESP)
Italy (ITA)
Kazakhstan (KAZ)
Cayman Islands (CAY)
Canada (CAN)
Cyprus (CYP)
Kyrgyzstan (KGZ)
People's Republic of China (CHN)
Republic of Korea (KOR)
Latvia (LAT)
Lebanon (LIB)
Lithuania (LTU)
Liechtenstein (LIE)
Luxembourg (LUX)
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (MKD)
Malta (MLT)
Morocco (MAR)
Mexico (MEX)
Republic of Moldova (MDA)
Monaco (MON)
Mongolia (MGL)
Individual Olympic Athletes (IOA)
Nepal (NEP)
Netherlands (NED)
New Zealand (NZL)
Norway (NOR)
Pakistan (PAK)
Paraguay (PAR)
Peru (PER)
Poland (POL)
Portugal (POR)
Romania (ROU)
San Marino (SMR)
Serbia (SRB)
Slovakia (SVK)
Slovenia (SLO)
United States of America (USA)
Tajikistan (TJK)
Thailand (THA)
Chinese Taipei (TPE)
Togo (TOG)
Tonga (TGA)
Turkey (TUR)
Uzbekistan (UZB)
Ukraine (UKR)
Philippines (PHI)
Finland (FIN)
France (FRA)
Croatia (CRO)
Montenegro (MNE)
Czech Republic (CZE)
Chile (CHI)
Switzerland (SUI)
Sweden (SWE)
Estonia (EST)
Jamaica (JAM)
Japan (JPN)
Russian Federation (RUS)

i saw a small video on integram about the OC rehearsals, am so glad i heard Techno/Dance music during the parade of nations A-La Athens 2004!!!! Remember how terible the music was in Beijing 2008 during their Parade of Nations.. ughhh

Just came across this...on cost of the OC...

Ivanova also reported that 40 million roubles will be spent on staging the actual event, and 15 buildings, six locomotives and six bridges will be built on the stage of the stadium.

So at the exchange rate of 1 ruble = US$0.029; it comes to $116 million. But I think such a budget would probably be for ALL Ceremonies, including the Paralympic shows as well. My guess only...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947213-olympics-opening-ceremony-2014-breaking-down-what-to-watch-in-celebration?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=olympics (It's farther down in the article.)

Another report: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/rbth/culture/10488436/sochi-olympics-opening-ceremony-plans.html

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Just came across this...on cost of the OC...

Ivanova also reported that 40 million roubles will be spent on staging the actual event, and 15 buildings, six locomotives and six bridges will be built on the stage of the stadium.

So at the exchange rate of 1 ruble = US$0.029; it comes to $116 million. But I think such a budget would probably be for ALL Ceremonies, including the Paralympic shows as well. My guess only...

At that exchange rate the cost is 116 million cents, not dollars! Something very wrong here ...

At that exchange rate the cost is 116 million cents, not dollars! Something very wrong here ...

Good catch, JMark. My bad. Which would indeed only make it $1,116,000.00. Author Ivanova's source must have dropped a "0." So if it were 400 million rubles, then it would at least go up to $11,160,000. Still way off. So, Ivanova's sources have fudged up their figures...or unless everything is donated by Putin's friends...thereby really giving it the $1.16 million cost??

The original ceremonial budget per the bid book was US$46,000,000. But I can't believe they stuck by that. With all the infrastructure changes that I can see, I estimate the 2014 Ceremonial expenditures to be at least $65,000,000. (That temporary roof, the hangars, the raised stage, the cauldron -- all of that would cost an extra $15 million alone.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Good catch, JMark. My bad. Which would indeed only make it $1,116,000.00. Author Ivanova's source must have dropped a "0." So if it were 400 million rubles, then it would at least go up to $11,160,000. Still way off. So, Ivanova's sources have fudged up their figures...or unless everything is donated by Putin's friends...thereby really giving it the $1.16 million cost??

The original ceremonial budget per the bid book was US$46,000,000. But I can't believe they stuck by that. With all the infrastructure changes that I can see, I estimate the 2014 Ceremonial expenditures to be at least $65,000,000. (That temporary roof, the hangars, the raised stage, the cauldron -- all of that would cost an extra $15 million alone.)

Surely it would be more? The temporary roof - aerial trackways and hangers would have cost a small fortune in their own right. But Myles I bow to your better knowledge on the subject. Do you think it will be more expensive than Beijing (how expensive was the OC there?).

• Like 1

Surely it would be more? The temporary roof - aerial trackways and hangers would have cost a small fortune in their own right. But Myles I bow to your better knowledge on the subject. Do you think it will be more expensive than Beijing (how expensive was the OC there?).

Thanks, adrianne. I'd estimated $62 mil for Beijing's opening alone. Until I see the show tomorrow, I really have no idea how much this Sochi OC might be. It's really hard to estimate the cost/value ratio of dollar to the ruble to the yuan. I imagine basic materials (fabric, canvas, paint, etc.) would probably be still cheaper in China than in Russia...but not by much I guess. The additional infrastructure here in Sochi + the cauldron, I think would not cost nearly as much as the Beijing underground stage, that giant LED scroll and their cauldron -- which I had guessed at $25 mil. (Their underground stage had 5 moving platforms.) Sochi hasn't had to do much digging (unless the show cauldron will have a very deep stem). And that temporary roof seems to be the most solid infrastructure. So maybe $18 mil for what I have seen of Sochi's temporary infrastructure.

With a cast of only 3,000 v. 10,000+ for Beijing, so cost of costumes will only be about 1/3rd of Beijing's. But I'll have to see the full show tomorrow to make a more educated guess. And then how do you add in the "bribes" in the equation? Altho I think the graft for the Ceremonies is very small compared to the billions that usually get padded to construction projects. To be fair to the Table of Ceremonies cost in my book, I will leave out such inflationary things as 'bribes' because I believe very little of that went on here in Sochi; and I have no way of knowing how much that added to the actual cost of things.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1