Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony

Since our old Sochi ceremony topic doesn't seem to have made it to the new subforum, I'm starting this one dedicated to the OC, as there's only 4 months to go. The stadium still doesn't look too ready, but I'm sure they'll get there, even if Putin himself has to get a hard hat on & pitch in :lol:

I'm sure the opening will be a frozen Beijing, with Russia going all out to impress the world.

• 3 months later...

Since our old Sochi ceremony topic doesn't seem to have made it to the new subforum, I'm starting this one dedicated to the OC, as there's only 4 months to go. The stadium still doesn't look too ready, but I'm sure they'll get there, even if Putin himself has to get a hard hat on & pitch in :lol:

I'm sure the opening will be a frozen Beijing, with Russia going all out to impress the world.

There's a working thread on Ceremonies already. Did you really have to start one just for the sake of starting one???

• Like 1

There's a working thread on Ceremonies already. Did you really have to start one just for the sake of starting one???

Yoshi apologised on the main thread for the confusion months ago, but as a newbie, arzoo didn't realise what was going on.

However, this thread is dedicated specifically to the OC, not to Sochi Ceremonies in general. Maybe we should go for broke, use this, and start Sochi Medal Ceremonies and Closing Ceremony threads too, so that we can keep the detailed discussions under some sort of control.

• Like 1

As I started the thread, would I be able to change the thread title to add 'live chat' to it?

I'm not sure there's any need, particularly given that GBers in certain regions won't really be able to join in "live live" anyway. We could just have a single thread which continues to discuss the OC long after it has actually finished.

I'm not sure there's any need, particularly given that GBers in certain regions won't really be able to join in "live live" anyway. We could just have a single thread which continues to discuss the OC long after it has actually finished.

The same could have been said about London's ceremony.

Oh, it will happen alright. The Ceremonies Live Chats are hallowed tradition here, no matter the games location. Surely if you're an Olympic fan you'll be staying up to watch it live, wherever you are. And chat live here or not as you want. I personally find it distracting following GBids while the artistic portions of the ceremonies are on, but might pipe in when the Dirge, err, Parade of Nations is on. There'll no doubt be the live chat threads, and things like the "OC-Your verdict", "The OC-Why it Sucked" and "The OC-Wasn't it Great" threads and the revival of "Favourite OC" threads during and after.

The only concession we make here to those dependent on NBC coverage or having difficulty shifting their sleep-wake patterns to follow the games, is (and here's some advice to Newbies here for a games on GBids for the first time) is: DON'T START THREADS WITH RESULTS SPOILERS IN THE TITLE, ie: "My Team GB Wins Gold in Women's Curling - Yeah!" etc.Try to just stick to generic event thread titles such as "Curling", "Alpine Skiing", "Short Track" etc, or the generic Team USA, Team GB, Team Oz etc threads.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Yeah, I won't be around here during the show, but I'll post something quick afterwards, & read through the live chat. Then, I'll probably waste most of Saturday morning doing a long, rambling review:lol:

Why didn't that lol smiley show up? :unsure:

I'm thinking of preparing a selection of unusual emoticons, so rather than think of actual comments during the live run, I can just post a :o or a :wub: .

I'll probably then watch again on iPlayer, using the pause facility, and prepare a list of timings, so that US viewers (who'll be far enough behind for the rest of us to watch the whole thing at least three times) can compare their version with reality.

How can I get live viewing of the event, I may have to rely on NBC...

You might try it on this site where you can watch also BBC 2: http://www.vipboxeu.co/sports/uk-tv.html#selected

And on this site, you can watch many more international channels, including ZDF which will broadcast the opening ceremony in Germany: http://www.stream2watch.me/live-tv

But caution, those sites are stuffed with advertisement and quite difficult to handle, additionally the streams sometimes don't work or get interrupted, especially in times of heavy demand. But it's worth a try, I remember watching the live broadcast of the pre-show of London's opening ceremony on BBC via the first website.

• Like 1

You might try it on this site where you can watch also BBC 2: http://www.vipboxeu.co/sports/uk-tv.html#selected

And on this site, you can watch many more international channels, including ZDF which will broadcast the opening ceremony in Germany: http://www.stream2watch.me/live-tv

But caution, those sites are stuffed with advertisement and quite difficult to handle, additionally the streams sometimes don't work or get interrupted, especially in times of heavy demand. But it's worth a try, I remember watching the live broadcast of the pre-show of London's opening ceremony on BBC via the first website.

Thank you!