Sochi 2014 Olympic Torch Relay

SwissO

@Alphacarter, you can't say the public is homophobic. The Majority of the World are welcoming, and treat as equals.

If "the World" means "Western Europe, North America and ANZ", you might - but only just might - be right. After all, there's no full equality in legal terms even in supposedly progressive Western countries.

When you're doing research next time, google "Croatia referendum" or "India court decision" and you'll change tune like you changed concerning Lviv 2022.

Alpha is right, unfortunately Putin can rely on a broad majority from the population in Russia for his stance on "homosexual propaganda". Whether that majority opinion was formed because of Kreml-steered media spinning or rather comes from the bottom of the heart of a generally conservative country, is another debate, but it's there.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If "the World" means "Western Europe, North America and ANZ", you might - but only just might - be right. After all, there's no full equality in legal terms even in supposedly progressive Western countries.

When you're doing research next time, google "Croatia referendum" or "India court decision" and you'll change tune like you changed concerning Lviv 2022.

Alpha is right, unfortunately Putin can rely on a broad majority from the population in Russia for his stance on "homosexual propaganda". Whether that majority opinion was formed because of Kreml-steered media spinning or rather comes from the bottom of the heart of a generally conservative country, is another debate, but it's there.

Western Europe, North America and ANZ are a massive part of the World, especially in terms of Land and Power, even though other superpowers like China and Russia don't have good Human Rights Records. Alot of countries don't have good equality laws in terms of wealth, but thats a different matter. In places like here in England and others like Usa, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, the far majority are treated as equals, so if Alphacarter was saying that the Russian Public don't treat Homosexuals as equals, he is probably right. But if he meant most of the World Population don't, then he is wrong.

Western Europe, North America and ANZ are a massive part of the World, especially in terms of Land and Power, even though other superpowers like China and Russia don't have good Human Rights Records. Alot of countries don't have good equality laws in terms of wealth, but thats a different matter. In places like here in England and others like Usa, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, the far majority are treated as equals, so if Alphacarter was saying that the Russian Public don't treat Homosexuals as equals, he is probably right. But if he meant most of the World Population don't, then he is wrong.

Oh well...believe what you want then. Doesn't make it any more true.

How is he wrong?

Yes, LGBT people are treated as equals in some parts of the world. But in most countries (which combined, constitute more than 50% of the population of the world), gay people are stigmatized, and/or don't have access to the same rights or protections.

China and India alone constitute over 35% of the world's population. And in both those countries, LGBT rights are not exactly thriving.

And not to forget the parts of the world where Islam is the dominating religion. There are 1.5 billion Muslims in the world, and homophobia is rooted deep in that religion, even if there are also exceptions, of course.

And we shouldn't forget all those conservative/orthodox Christians who also think that homosexuality is a sin. Only look at all those African countries (not only the Muslim ones) where homosexuals sometimes even are treated like criminals.

So I think it's a fair guess to say that the majority of world's population is homophobic or at least lives in homophobic surroundings.

I think we've all been homophobic at one point or another. The world isn't as perfect as you make it out to be, Tony.

Trust me. I'm not saying the World is perfect. But not all of us are Homophobic, because I'm not. As a straight man, even I find Putin's behaviour as innapropriate.

Trust me. I'm not saying the World is perfect. But not all of us are Homophobic, because I'm not. As a straight man, even I find Putin's behaviour as innapropriate.

Tony, sorry I forgot that your perfect.

Let's be real for a moment. In Canada at least, you'd be hard pressed to find a teenager that has never described something as "gay". I've said it myself, I'll admit.

I think most people find the laws terrible too. But it's not as though anyone can admit to never being homophobic, just like no one can admit to never saying anything racist.

• 2 weeks later...

Something like the Russian law is not the biggest problem or obstacle for the LGBT community

yes, there are homophobic everywhere even in Western Europe, North America, Oz and NZ even with all efforts to change the stereotypes about Homosexuality in normal people minds and you will know that if you care and follow LGBT news around the world

There are things that human can't choose or have his/her opinion about it but those things will have impacts in everything coming later in life

When you born? ( 10th Century, 15th Century or 20th Century for example? )

Where? ( Asia, Americas, Europe, Africa or Oceania ?)

Who are your parents? and are you Male or Female?

some people may change something of that if they have a chance but that is something we can't do anything about it

it is the same for what is your sexual orientation?

unlike what Sochi mayor and other homophobic people around the world think .. there are gays and lesbians every where in every country, region, city and village in the world

unfortunately most of them can't say who are they, what they like and why because of social pressures

life in fear and don't know how to live the life, openly gay are just a minority of much larger LGBT community who never declare that they are gay/lesbian

even celebrities take some time or wait for some event to announce their sexual orientation or just never say

even if you are in the US, Britain or Australia you can't go down to the streets and say hey I'm gay people will not take it as ok, whatever

some will look at you as they are seeing a murderer, ill, evil or someone different sometimes you can see the hate in their eyes without talk

some will never treat you as human being and I'm talking about general public not politicians or celebrities

Homosexuals can be born anytime, anywhere to any parents/family and life inside the society most of time they hide their sexual orientation but in some better situation some declare who they are and be openly gay

the problem with homophobic is that some straight people don't understand what is homosexuality or how the gays/lesbians feel and why we have different desires

some conservatives thinks that Homosexuality acceptance will lead to human extinction and some because of religious reasons

How to persuade those people that LGBT are peaceful group who are part of humanity and are from all races, religions and backgrounds but just born with different sexual preference

when you see someone like Sochi mayor assumed that there are no homosexual in the city of Sochi
how can he know when most of homosexuals around the world hide their sexual orientation and keep it the main secret of their life
because they do not want to get hurt or killed or being hated or treated differently

• 2 months later...

Archived