Sochi 2014 Olympic Torch Relay

SwissO

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time flies really fast. Seems like it was yesterday that we saw the Olympia ceremony when the torch started it's journey to London. Also I believe this is the first time the WOG torch relay begins so early (probably has to do with the long journey that will pass through).

Here are some pics of the rehearsals. Iro Menegaki will reprise her role as the priestess.

628x471.jpg

182104707-high-priest-ino-menegaki-light

182104712-first-olympic-flame-torch-bear

182095048-first-olympic-flame-torch-bear

Aren't winter torch relays always conducted in those full winter outfits despite the sunny weather of Olympia anyway? I like the colours. They'll look great in the white, boring, landscapes. Terrible torch design, though. Ugliest of the century.

Aren't winter torch relays always conducted in those full winter outfits despite the sunny weather of Olympia anyway? I like the colours. They'll look great in the white, boring, landscapes. Terrible torch design, though. Ugliest of the century.

No, if I remember, Vancouver only had the T-shirts when there at Olympia. (Or unless I am thinking of Singapore.)

I guess I get why they do it, but I find the contrast of the lovely, classic Greek priestess attire with the Sochi 2014 windsuit really jarring and ugly.

I agree. It was only slightly less odd when they held it in the colder months and the priestesses were shivering in those skimpy outfits and couldn't wait to finish the whole charade and get into their jackets. Can't find the clip right now.

i wonder what will they do the light ceremony in stock mandeville.

i'm hoping for nurses in period attire and beds like a carry on film

What does Stoke Mandeville have to do with Sochi?

Doesn't the Paralympic flame begin with the host nation?

EDIT - Just read that from now on all Paralympic flames begin in Stoke Mandeville. I hate to be a party pooper - but that kinda sucks. I loved how the Paralympics gets to pick a significant location with the host country to start the Paralympic torch relay.

I loved how the Paralympics gets to pick a significant location with the host country to start the Paralympic torch relay.

Not every country tho has a legitimately unique starting point for the Paralympic flame. I don't know where Sydney's was? China was just at some point of the Great Wall? I mean how significant was that? (I think they chose a spot that was quite whole and very photogenic. But other than that, so what?) At least Stoke-Mandeville has some significance and mirrors the Olympic relay.

Sydney's was at Uluru - the geographic and spiritual heart of Australia. The perfect place.

That's perfect for a host country...but as an outsider, I say...meaning no disrespect...so what? It doesn't strike a resonant chord with me. They could've lit it on the steps of the Sydney Opera House and it would've been fine by me. I think pros and cons weigh in. And as I said, it's like meh for some choices...so better to keep it standardized at Stoke-Mandeville. It does honor the beginnings of he movement.

Sydney's was at Uluru - the geographic and spiritual heart of Australia. The perfect place.

That was the starting point of the Olympic torch relay on Australian soil. The Paralympic Flame, though, was lit in the nation's capital Canberra:

http://www.mail-archive.com/recoznet2@paradigm4.com.au/msg04410.html

It's just bizarre where the Paralympic flames of the last few Games have been lit.

1. Lillehammer 1994 - at Sondre Horheim's cottage in Morgedal;

2. 1996 - controversy as to whether it was lit at the White House by Bill Clinton or at the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial in either DC or in Atlanta???

3. Nagano 1998 - don't know

4. OK, so Sydney 2000 at Canberra.

5. 2002 - across 15 cities in Utah and then they all converged at Rice-Eccles (imagine the coordination for that...)

6. Athens 2004 at the Temple of Haephastus in downtown Athens (makes sense).

7. Torino 2006 - lit at the Arch of Constantine in Rome; then transmitted by satellite to Torino

8. Beijing at some point of the Great Wall of China

Of course, one could probably just write the IPC and ask them... but I know their record-keeping is not yet up to snuff as the IOC's are.

Just some corrections

2. Atlanta's was lit from an undying flame related to the tomb of MLK and the relay was launched from Washington

4. As some said before, it was lit at Uluru

8. At the Temple of Heaven in Beijing

Archived