Sign in to follow this  
dchang11

United States 2023 - Rugby World Cup

Agreed, Argentina should be the first cab off the rank in the Americas.

Keep in mind Japan is hosting 2019, a new territory.

South Africa will be getting toey soon , and surely Italy is a union that may want to host in the near future.

I think the US needs to keep plugging away with age grade tournaments for a bit first.

Argentina is a very nice choice and a brand new market in the Americas, but they really, REALLY need to redevelop their stadiums.

Argentina is a very nice choice and a brand new market in the Americas.

Not actually brand new for rugby - Argentina is actually one of the long-running traditional rugby countries (even if it's dwarfed by football).

I mean more like for us (not rugby fans, Latin countries) Mexico, Combia, Ecuador, Costa Rica, etc...

hosting in Argentina will call our attention a little bit more that other editions...

Hmmm, I think Im with the consensus here, Argentina would be the first Americas host nation. They are the strongest rugby nation of the region.

The United States are still embryonic compared to the potential they will be in the 2030s. And before we jump up and yell Sevens, I believe they will get a wake up call in Rio...they may be current Olympic champions, but not for much longer.

Also as mentioned South Africa and mainland Europe will be waiting for another turn, and at the moment thats where the revenue lies.

A bid for 2027 could work but again if Europe comes into play...and you probibly got Australia in the mix by then.

Agreed Argentina deserves to be the first country from the Americas to host a world cup. Their entry into the Rugby Championship will only improve and strengthen their game.

How big is a rugby world cup? I mean, how costy is the games for the hosting country? If it's too much, I don't think Argentina have the capability of hosting it anytime soon.

Anyways, is there rugby in the US? Since in the US public money wouldn't be used for these types of events, I doubt they'll host anytime soon too. Unless it's not a big event, money-wise.

How big is a rugby world cup? I mean, how costy is the games for the hosting country? If it's too much, I don't think Argentina have the capability of hosting it anytime soon.

Anyways, is there rugby in the US? Since in the US public money wouldn't be used for these types of events, I doubt they'll host anytime soon too. Unless it's not a big event, money-wise.

Rugby is popular in the collegiate level. Athletes who played sports such as American football, Lacrosse, Soccer, and Wrestling in high school end up playing Rugby at the club level. It's popular in areas such as North Carolina, California, Utah, Pennsylvania, and New England.

The Rugby World Cup costs the same amount as hosting the FIFA World Cup. The United States already has the stadiums and over a dozen seats 80,000+. The only problem is security costs, but the government funds that. The IRB is looking to promote the game in North America.

The Rugby World Cup is not even on the same magnitude as the FIFA World Cup. I mean New Zealand hosted the thing and spent only about a quarter of a billion USD.

The Rugby World Cup is not even on the same magnitude as the FIFA World Cup. I mean New Zealand hosted the thing and spent only about a quarter of a billion USD.

But NZ had money in the "Fun Things" bank account set aside for this. It also had met the minimum standards for stadia. As much as we wanted to, no mega stadium was built but refurbishment of facilities enacted. Add another quarter billion US$ for this and of infrastructure works. All up just over half a billion.

In 2023 this event WILL cost a billion US $$ to host.