Team Scotland in Rio?

What??? Are you joking? Most Brazilians I know love english people. Don't draw your view on Brazilians based on my observations and sentiments, Mr. Mainad. Most Brazilians are very kind, friendly and sentimental, like Mr. Danny. He represents Brazilian people very well. I hate Brits, not Scotties, as you pointed out (thx), because of that movie. That scene where the nobleman demands to the take the virginity of a Scotty girl disturbed me profoundly. I know it's just a movie, but I was young when I watched and it molded my opinion towards English people. Also I cried a lot watching braveheart (WW) fighting for his people.

You know, It's just a futile sentiment as any other that wont cause any harm to anyone, I promise. But based on that I happen to hate brits. Now that you mentioned the other countries, I may not hate them depending on their participation in the War mentioned above.

Btw, great conversation. Made me want to watch that movie again. Great excuse to kill the time while I'm in bed with the fucking Dengue. Btw, if you come to Brazil be aware of dengue. Hateful disease. That's fo sure.

Now what exactly have we English Brits done to upset you Brazilians so much? We have never been to war with each other or anything like that, have we? :blink:

Nope. No grudge from this side of the pond, except when Scotland Yard mistook and killed a Brazilian man for a terrorrist suspect following the 2005 London Bombings. Cultural exchange is thriving, economic ties are growing, in goalkeeping you're still sucking and that's basically it. Britain was a colonial power and depending on the subject, Latin American countries get very resentful about misdeeds of former colonial powers past and present policies and attitudes.

Britain also pops up here and there in our history books as entrepreneurs during Empire and Old Republic but these episodes aren't viewed under ideological lenses.

What??? Are you joking? Most Brazilians I know love english people. Don't draw your view on Brazilians based on my observations and sentiments, Mr. Mainad. Most Brazilians are very kind, friendly and sentimental, like Mr. Danny. He represents Brazilian people very well. I hate Brits, not Scotties, as you pointed out (thx), because of that movie. That scene where the nobleman demands to the take the virginity of a Scotty girl disturbed me profoundly. I know it's just a movie, but I was young when I watched and it molded my opinion towards English people. Also I cried a lot watching braveheart (WW) fighting for his people.

You know, It's just a futile sentiment as any other that wont cause any harm to anyone, I promise. But based on that I happen to hate brits. Now that you mentioned the other countries, I may not hate them depending on their participation in the War mentioned above.

Btw, great conversation. Made me want to watch that movie again. Great excuse to kill the time while I'm in bed with the fucking Dengue. Btw, if you come to Brazil be aware of dengue. Hateful disease. That's fo sure.

Ah, damn that Mel Gibson and his bloody movie 'Braveheart'. I can see it's got a lot to answer for! ;)

Incidentlaly, I think Mel has definitely got a down on us Brits. He also produced and acted in the movie 'Patriot' which was basically a reprise of 'Braveheart' except transplanted to the American war of indpendence. Similar scenes of nasty Brits terrorising the helpless populace and forcing poor Mel to take up arms against us yet again. You get the picture etc.etc! B)

• Like 1

Nope. No grudge from this side of the pond, except when Scotland Yard mistook and killed a Brazilian man for a terrorrist suspect following the 2005 London Bombings. Cultural exchange is thriving, economic ties are growing, in goalkeeping you're still sucking and that's basically it. Britain was a colonial power and depending on the subject, Latin American countries get very resentful about misdeeds of former colonial powers past and present policies and attitudes.

Britain also pops up here and there in our history books as entrepreneurs during Empire and Old Republic but these episodes aren't viewed under ideological lenses.

The shooting of that innocent Brazilian guy was a disgraceful and shameful incident but he wasn't singled out for being Brazilian or anything like that. The jittery armed policemen thought he was a Muslim terrorist acting suspiciously. Not that it was any kind of excuse.

Brazil and Brazilians symbolise sun, colour, hot beaches, hot women, carnival and great football to most Brits. You can now add 2014 WC and 2016 Rio to that mix. In fact I can't think of a country that has a less negative image to us than Brazil! :)

Edited by Mainad
  • Like 1

The film Braveheart, whilst entertaining and with some historical things right, is just that.... a film. The Scot's committed just as much terrible things against the English when they advanced south of the border.

Scottish independence is not about hating the English, it is about making our own decisions that affect our people, standing tall and taking our place within the international community - decisions made by us, for us.

• Like 2

Plus, we went to war with Argentina, which puts us in Danny's good books. :lol: :lol: :lol:

God bless OUR queen! ;)

Fact: During the Falkland War in the 80s, when my father lived in Rio, a bunch of Argentine mades a tent in Cinelândia Square, Downtown Rio, to convince some Brazilians to fight in favour of Argentina.

My father went to the tent to ask where was the place to sign papers to fight in name of the Queen...

Imagine the mess after this... hahahaha

Brazil and Brazilians symbolise sun, colour, hot beaches, hot women, carnival and great football to most Brits. You can now add 2014 WC and 2016 Rio to that mix. In fact I can't think of a country that has a less negative image to us than Brazil! :)

Brazilians also have a nice image of the UK. Specially because good music and all royal buzz. Not the mention Brits invented our biggest passion.

It's for sure the country in Europe most Brazilians admire.

Ah, damn that Mel Gibson and his bloody movie 'Braveheart'. I can see it's got a lot to answer for! ;)

Incidentlaly, I think Mel has definitely got a down on us Brits. He also produced and acted in the movie 'Patriot' which was basically a reprise of 'Braveheart' except transplanted to the American war of indpendence. Similar scenes of nasty Brits terrorising the helpless populace and forcing poor Mel to take up arms against us yet again. You get the picture etc.etc! B)

Yeh, apparently Mel hated the Brits, because he put a lot of efforts under those movies. Anyways at the time of the "patriot" movie I was already older and understood things differently. Now, back in the Braveheart days we hadn't tv on our Home, so I watched movies and football alongside with a lot of kids of the neighborhood in the house of an old man that loved War movies. Haha. He would rent war movies every weekend and we watched every war movies that we could have lol. He didn't like Braveheart, tho. He preferred Vietnam War movies, more visceral I think. Anyhow, Brave Heart touched me deeply. To add a bit of context: you gotta understand that at the time watching movies on TV for me was like what happened to people going to the Cinemas early in the XX century.

I would go home and think about the movies all the weekdays. Haha. One positive from those days was that I learned by myself to 'understand' english very early. Although I could not read or write, I understood most of what I was hearing. And as you can see I've never learned the language properly. Haha! I hate studying.

The film Braveheart, whilst entertaining and with some historical things right, is just that.... a film. The Scot's committed just as much terrible things against the English when they advanced south of the border.

Scottish independence is not about hating the English, it is about making our own decisions that affect our people, standing tall and taking our place within the international community - decisions made by us, for us.

Great example on why I love Scotties: intelligent, impartial, humble sensible people.

We all know that, Mr. Scotguy. We just deviate a bit the course of the thread, but I wont continue, I promise.

Still cheering for Scotties independence. Btw, which would be scotties independence day? And historical date involving William Wallace or just whatever the date Brits concede your independence?

Brazilians also have a nice image of the UK. Specially because good music and all royal buzz. Not the mention Brits invented our biggest passion.

It's for sure the country in Europe most Brazilians admire.

Keep selling us players who score winning goals in the 93rd minute of matches, and we'll have an even better relationship! :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24098608

1237731_10151713048403505_877393263_n.jp

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

Keep selling us players who score winning goals in the 93rd minute of matches, and we'll have an even better relationship! :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24098608

1237731_10151713048403505_877393263_n.jp

You too! Just keeping selling us players that... Oh, no British player in the Brazilian league... :(

;)

There is a nice commercial of Old Eight, a whisky, that features what would be Brazil with the Scottish culture mixed. Truly well-done

Pity, it's not in high quality.

The slogan says: "Brazilian, but with Scottish soul".

Edited by DannyelBrazil

And Danny, if you thought English place names are amusing, the Scottish ones are often better. Drumnadrochit, for example, is near Loch Ness, if you want to see the monster, there's worse places to start :lol:

Actually I was amused with the weird names of Brazil, but some in England are also funny and I'm sure in Scotland there are also nice ones! =]