2019 FIFA Women World Cup

gotosy

Soccer was not created by the English, they simply made some rules for it. Maybe you should win a few tournaments first before talking about hosting.

Football was codified by England and exported in its club and international format by our nation. Sure, other countries had sports where a ball was kicked, but football is the worldwide sport it is today largely because of the UK's influence. Not that this alone gives us any more right to host than anyone else, as the failed 2006 World Cup bid shows.

As for the idea you have to win loads of tournaments to host.....like South Africa, or Korea? Don't talk nonsense.

Of course the 2018 defeat is no reason to award England the Women's tournament as Tony suggests, but in truth, everyone involved in the 2018/22 process was cheated. It was a farce from start to finish and showed FIFA in an incredibly bad light, something they're still trying to recover from. I think as a result of this process it'll be many years before a British government supports an English bid for the big prize again.

A bid for the women's tournament however carries less risk and promises to build on the strides the women's game has made recently. A winning bid is certainly acheivable. I'm glad we've thrown our hat in.

Yeah, obviously the final was packed. But the preliminary rounds barely had 10,000 people and those attendence numbers were definitely inflated a bit.

A record attendence for the tournament, a record attendence for a single match in Olympic Women's football set at Wembley, average crowds of 26k in a country where women's football is very much an amatuer sport for the most part with little media coverage. It was successful when compared to previous Olympic tournaments and a huge boost for women's football in the UK. Of course it wasn't comparable with a World Cup or Premier League matches but on its own terms it was a success and FIFA agreed. The launch of the WSL last year and now the World Cup bid seek to build on that. That was my point in my earlier post.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football was codified by England and exported in its club and international format by our nation. Sure, other countries had sports where a ball was kicked, but football is the worldwide sport it is today largely because of the UK's influence. Not that this alone gives us any more right to host than anyone else, as the failed 2006 World Cup bid shows.

As for the idea you have to win loads of tournaments to host.....like South Africa, or Korea? Don't talk nonsense.

Of course the 2018 defeat is no reason to award England the Women's tournament as Tony suggests, but in truth, everyone involved in the 2018/22 process was cheated. It was a farce from start to finish and showed FIFA in an incredibly bad light, something they're still trying to recover from. I think as a result of this process it'll be many years before a British government supports an English bid for the big prize again.

A bid for the women's tournament however carries less risk and promises to build on the strides the women's game has made recently. A winning bid is certainly acheivable. I'm glad we've thrown our hat in.

Exactly. America has never won a World Cup. They Hosted in 1994. Canada has never won a World Cup. They want to Host in 2026. Russia has never won a World Cup and neither has Qatar, Japan and South Korea. At least we have won a World Cup!

We deserve this Tournament. We have proven we can deliver.

The 5 bids are England, France, Korea, South Africa and New Zealand.

It will be in England or in France... The market for Women Football is in Europe. Even if the 3 other bid can host this competition, they will have a lack of public support in Korea, South Africa and New Zealand.

Nice lineup. Either England or France could be a huge boost for women's football in Europe.

Nice to see 5 free, open democratic societies bidding for a FIFA event- countries with labour laws, wages and conditons laws, free press, gay freedom etc.... FIFA won't know what to do.

That and the fact that Women have equal rights.

I'm naturally backing NZ. It's a tournament that fits nicely, and to correct, there are more registered Football players of both sexes that play here than mighty Rugby! And NZ has hosted two junior Fifa WCs already and hosting next year's U20 WC.

Of course we are up against superpower playing nations...but hey at least we bidding.

• 4 weeks later...
THE South African Football Association has withdrawn from hosting the eighth edition of the 2016 Fifa Women's Under-20 World Cup finals.

Safa top brass have already informed Fifa - whose executive committee will decide on the new host country at a meeting in September - of their decision to withdraw.

SA were awarded the hosting rights of the tournament at a meeting in December last year.

Speaking from Brazil, where he is on Fifa assignment for the 2014 World Cup finals, Safa president Danny Jordaan confirmed their withdrawal.

"We have decided to give it back after the Fifa executive took a decision to link the Under-20 tournament and the senior World Cup finals," Jordaan said.

"The decision to link the two tournaments was taken after we were given the Under-20 World Cup. It is a similar arrangement to the Confederations Cup and the [men's] World Cup.

"The Under-20 World Cup will be used to test the readiness of the country hosting the tournament for the seniors. As you are aware, we announced earlier this year that we are going to bid to host the 2019 Women's World Cup for seniors.

"In that case, we will also be given the 2018 Under-20 tournament because the two tournaments are going to be linked."

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/sport/2014/06/11/safa-won-t-host-u-20-world-cup

• 2 weeks later...
Women's World Cup: FA will not bid for 2019 event in England

There will be no bid to stage the 2019 Women's World Cup in England, the Football Association has announced.

It is understood their decision has been prompted by a belief that France are strong favourites to win the bid.

Fifa, football's world governing body, has set a deadline of October for bids.

An FA spokesman said: "The FA can confirm that it will not be progressing its initial interest in hosting either the Fifa Women's World Cup in 2019, or the U20 Women's World Cup in 2018.

"Expressions of interest were lodged to gain a wider understanding of the bidding process, the benefits associated with the tournaments and the wider competition to host the tournaments.

BBC

NZ out of race to host 2019 Women's World Cup

New Zealand Football has pulled out of the race to host the 2019 Women’s World Cup and the 2018 under-20 Women’s World Cup.

NZF lodged an expression of interest last month, but has decided against making an official bid.

‘‘We signalled our interest in May to give ourselves time to investigate the full implications of bringing a tournament of this stature to New Zealand,’’ said NZF chief executive Andy Martin.

‘‘After making a detailed financial assessment regarding the impact of hosting this major event on the football calendar, we concluded that the 2019 event will come too soon for us. We remain keen to consider hosting the women’s World Cup in the future while we continue our significant investment in the development of the women’s game at both grassroots and elite levels.’’

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/10199107/NZ-out-of-race-to-host-2019-Womens-World-Cup

NZ out of race to host 2019 Women's World Cup

New Zealand Football has pulled out of the race to host the 2019 Womens World Cup and the 2018 under-20 Womens World Cup.

NZF lodged an expression of interest last month, but has decided against making an official bid.

We signalled our interest in May to give ourselves time to investigate the full implications of bringing a tournament of this stature to New Zealand, said NZF chief executive Andy Martin.

After making a detailed financial assessment regarding the impact of hosting this major event on the football calendar, we concluded that the 2019 event will come too soon for us. We remain keen to consider hosting the womens World Cup in the future while we continue our significant investment in the development of the womens game at both grassroots and elite levels.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/10199107/NZ-out-of-race-to-host-2019-Womens-World-Cup

:( Sad, but sort of knew this would happen. As enthusiastic as NZFA was and is hosting the minor Fifa events, this was a really big step up. The women's game is growing, but still not robust enough to give NZ a respectable showing in a tournament. Other factors come in and includes the proposed Christchurch stadium couldn't be built in time, also it has a non retractable roof in it's design. And the revamped Wellington Westpac Stadium proposal would also require a pushed foward date. At least they are looking towards 2023...

Another interesting topic on this site.

There had been mentioned Sweden, and that the fact that they don´t have enough big stadiums. I saw a swedish article somewhere, after the Euro2013 (that was a succes) that when the World cup goes up to 24 countrys it would be hard for Sweden to host. Then i thought why not do a cohost with Denmark? Yes of course i hope for my own country ;) And it is for me the only chance for a world cup in Scandinavia. But it seems to this topic that we are to late for 2019 already. But perhaps 2023 then. Of course Denmark is also going for being a part of Euro2020, but that is to be in about 13 countrys, so thats only a few matches that will be in Denmark, if we get some at all.

And Denmark does sometimes have good succes in womens football, and in Euro2013 in Sweden made the semifinal and lost on penalty. I think this could be a possibility! What are your thoughts? And is the 2019 officially to late?

Regards
Hans (From Denmark)

• 4 months later...
France, South Korea bid for 2019 women's World Cup
Oct. 30, 2014 1:27 PM EDT

ZURICH (AP) — Football delegates from France and South Korea have handed over their bid documents to FIFA for the 2019 women's World Cup.

France and South Korea are also bidding for the 2018 under-20 women's World Cup, with FIFA's executive committee to decide on one winner for both competitions in March.

FIFA's Sepp Blatter says "I'm a very happy President to see these two big football nations competing for these two women's competitions.

Blatter noted how both nations recently hosted the men's World Cup — France in 1998 and South Korea in 2002 with Japan.

Blatter says "it's really great to see now their interest shifting towards women's competition. ... I'm really confident that either will be fantastic organizers."

Next year's women's World Cup will be held in Canada.

AP

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/01e57b7df46c4d90872f650a14b28c33/france-south-korea-bid-2019-womens-world-cup

Interesting. Stade de France is not proposed for the final, instead Lyon is. Although, Germany used Frankfurt, and Canada is using Vancouver, when they would use Toronto for a men's WC.

Germany used Frankfurt because there's a long tradition in women's football there, maybe it's the same with France/Lyon?

Germany used Frankfurt because there's a long tradition in women's football there, maybe it's the same with France/Lyon?

It's possible. The candidature file hinted that each stadium has a current tenant to upkeep it. Whether these are women's or men's club teams, I don't know.

Archived