Sign in to follow this  
baron-pierreIV

Sochi Ceremonies...

Looks like a moving base. During the ceremonies the tower might rotate closer to the stadium. After that, it rotates to the rim of the park.

What is that? A cross between a sundial, the neck of the Loch Ness monster, or the one below??

Montreal-Olympic-Stadium.jpg

That obviously is how the main cauldron in the area between Fisht and the neighboring stadium. It is circular; and I think they will build the stage (since they so love building stages these days) for the medal ceremonies will be underneath. So...and you heard it here first...the cauldron inside Fisht will be very much in keeping with the Firebird theme...and of course, something that will be used 4x - for Opening and Closing of both the regular O's and the Paras. When the inside one is lit, the flame will then probably travel on the ground up the back of that tower to the top.

They might also a giant screen outside with more seats for those who could not get into Fisht.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

They could do a firebird flying from inside to the outside cauldron, bit similar to Londons closing with the phoenix and Darcy Bussel. Its nest could be the cauldron dish

Edited by daveypodmore

Nessie! :lol: I didn't see the infamous Montreal tower, but it really is an image of it with curves added. At least the Russians will get theirs up on time :lol::P:ph34r: *runs* :lol:

Nessie! :lol:

I saw THE WATER HORSE on Tv again the other night; and I had forgotten what a wonderful film it was. One of the 3 best films about Nessie!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuvPpCMgA9U

Sochi should have their cauldron coming out of the seashore...a la Nessie and Sydney, too -- a Firebird rising from the waters of the Black Sea.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Nessie! :lol: I didn't see the infamous Montreal tower, but it really is an image of it with curves added. At least the Russians will get theirs up on time :lol::P:ph34r: *runs* :lol:

Ah, but in Russia, you have the might of the government to get things done. In Quebec, you have the might of the unions to keep things down. And in both, you have the might of the mafia to corrupt it all. :P

• Like 1

This article doesn't really say much...

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/olympic_coverage/article/sochi-opening-ceremonies-present-daunting-challenge/487701.html?clear_cache=Y

Other than they engaged "Show Canada" -- which is no special achievement becuz Show Canada is merely a 'manufacturer' of stage sets and machinery. They aren't really a 'conceptualizer' of show content like Atkins, Birch-Ballich, Don Mischer, Scott Givens or Jack Morton WW are. Show-Canada is pretty much like Stage One which brought the Athens head to reality and also carried out Heatherwick's design for the 2012 cauldron. They didn't even do the projections for Vancouver 2010; just the totem/cauldron which malfunctioned anyway.

^ i'm just relived that they are done with the interior. thanks to forced labor

Well...NOT if the tab will be $50 billion & counting. No. This is NOT Dubai or Doha. As a matter of fact, it was the contractors supposedly stretching things out which would mean bigger paychecks for the workers. But a number of them would still have work afterwards, tearing that temp roof down.

By the look of things they wont be having inseat LED panels like in London. You would have thought the Eurotrash in Sochi would have demanded the latest and greatest in dazzle and glitter.

By the look of things they wont be having inseat LED panels like in London. You would have thought the Eurotrash in Sochi would have demanded the latest and greatest in dazzle and glitter.

I thought those LED pixels were kitsch and gimmicky. Like I don't see how it added to the narrative and experience -- other than to be distractions.

I thought those LED pixels were kitsch and gimmicky. Like I don't see how it added to the narrative and experience -- other than to be distractions.

I get that they would have looked amazing in person - but I tend to agree with you that on television it did look a bit naff and kitsch. At first I thought it was the start of a new fixture at ceremonies, but retrospectively it might be a London one off.

Who knows, Sochi might install them at the 11th hour.

for these ceremonies, it might be kitsch. but i still like it in london. especially in the over head shots. i don't see the technology being used in sochi. as the shape of the stadium does not give any good shots with it. maybe in rio

The danger of those seat-installed LED pixels is that, unlike say, the hand-held flashlights which then become take-home souvenirs too, there is a temptation to over-use the LEDs since a massive investment was made in putting them in. The thinking would be...well,we spent 1 million GBp to install them...we can't just use them for 3 or 4 times. We must use them as often as we can. And MORE is never better than less -- therefore, I think those LED lights are an expensive distraction to any serious, well-thought out ceremony. The flashlights or the like are always just used once or twice, therefore making those moments really mean something and add some true context to the overall flow of the night's narrative. The London LED's made their shows more like a carnival than ceremonies.

Well, London's system can be reinstalled for concerts and the like, so it's not as though they had to get their money's worth out of it in the ceremonies. Concert promoters who plan to use the stadium when it's reconfigured were apparently impressed with it and want it used more often. I loved London's LEDs; the only problem I had with them was that sometimes it looked like there was no audience there; you couldn't see the spectators so the stadium looked emptier than it was.

But as others have said, it might not work as well in Sochi as there are breaks in its stadium architecture.

I wonder if the Russians will do any special lighting for PC's handover as London did for Brazil, or if they'll not bother doing anything much, as Beijing did for London! :D

Edited by Rob.

The danger of those seat-installed LED pixels is that, unlike say, the hand-held flashlights which then become take-home souvenirs too, there is a temptation to over-use the LEDs since a massive investment was made in putting them in. The thinking would be...well,we spent 1 million GBp to install them...we can't just use them for 3 or 4 times. We must use them as often as we can. And MORE is never better than less -- therefore, I think those LED lights are an expensive distraction to any serious, well-thought out ceremony. The flashlights or the like are always just used once or twice, therefore making those moments really mean something and add some true context to the overall flow of the night's narrative. The London LED's made their shows more like a carnival than ceremonies.

As I've noted before, I think London wanted the pixels to make a point about synchronised mass action. Beijing (in turn possibly to make a point about the amount of time in Athens' opening when only one or two people in the entire field of play were performing) had created the most amazing, vibrant display of people moving in synchronisation, but had in effect done something which might as well have been achieved mechanically (see, for example, Tait's 2010 "Shanghai Spheres"). My suspicion (and worry) is that Sochi want to rival Beijing, and will choose to achieve mass-synchronisation the authoritarian way.

As for the future of audience pixels- I think that, sooner or later, we'll see more stadiums cabled up (which is where the big investment comes in as the LED tablets are available to rent) and more event directors finding ways to use the pixels. In London, the spectators themselves were (again probably as part of the overall point) used to introduce elements of randomness, but there are also considerable possibilities for co-operative synchronisation.

/\/\ Yeah. but I was MORE impressed by the human efforts at mass synchronization (like the Beijing printing blocks sequence) than something mechanical like those LED pixels. It is more awesome(2 me) to see raw human efforts at trying to synchronize over what machine or computer can do. That's the trick in these Ceremonies...DON'T make them less human than they have to be because then they become cold, mechanical affairs.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

/\/\ Yeah. but I was MORE impressed by the human efforts at mass synchronization (like the Beijing printing blocks sequence) than something mechanical like those LED pixels. It is more awesome(2 me) to see raw human efforts at trying to synchronize over what machine or computer can do. That's the trick in these Ceremonies...DON'T make them less human than they have to be because then they become cold, mechanical affairs.

As I think I've probably also indicated before, my long-term problem with the Beijing opening was that it was probably the most impressive live performance I'd ever seen- but the emphasis on the mass synchronisation made it much less human than Sydney's OC. Hence I see London as trying to capture Sydney's humanity and warmth (a point emphasised by Danny Boyle) while rivalling Beijing's sense of vast scale. However, as you indicate, being big is not necessarily the same as being impressive, and I believe a great many people watch these large-scale performances because they like to be impressed. Sochi may well be another one for that sort of viewer.

Sochi may well be another one for that sort of viewer.

Altho -- where did I see it -- Sochi is only using performers in the 3,000 range - much like Torino's 3400 performers (and Athens was close to that).