• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I honestly don't see what is wrong with a map in the shape of Russia. If Sydney or London did it people would see it as another fantastic gesture of inclusion, but when Russia simply designs a stage

The whole point of the ceremony is to see different cultures and how those cultures see themselves and their Games. The type of people who criticised Athens for that are probably the same people who s

It looks like a Montessori Convention more than a world-class competition venue.

It is all looking amazing - love the look of the Soviet section - looks spectacular! The only bitter pill for me is that it will be a massive propaganda fest for that crook Putin.

How much is the budget? It must the combined cost of Beijing and London surely - lol?

I saw that pic you're mentioning and yes, it looks like a locomotive. I bet it's the Trans Siberian, since it's very iconic from the Soviet period and would fit perfectly with the industrial theme of that segment.

Overall the ceremony is looking massive and spectacular. It could easily surpass Vancouver and London if you ask me. Pyeongchang is going to have big shoes to fill in 2018 for their ceremony.

It looks very spectacular from what Ive seen. Im hoping that its not just massive things coming in and out. Hopefully there will be some light and shade, some more tender sensitive moments. Hopefully Pyeongchang won't try and compete and do a ceremony thats special to them.

Just a reminder. You know Tchaikovsky, one of the most known Russian composers of all time, right?

He was also known for being openly homosexual. Yet the russian government still uses his songs for events.

The irony -_-

Seems that way from my perspective. But Russia does exhibit that conservativism with the Russian Orthodox Church being an important part of society.

Saw that t.A.t.U piece that they'll appear for the Opening Ceremony. If they kiss then, they can give Putin and those Russian Orthodox leaders a symbolic middle finger like Yulia was known to do in photos. I would cheer emphatically. Much to the delight of just about everyone. But don't the organizers and Putin's government know all about the fake lesbianism and would tell them NOT to do that?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548962/Fake-lesbian-band-tATu-announce-set-perform-Sochi-Olympics-opening-ceremony-Russia-defends-anti-homosexual-agenda.html

Like what I'm seeing so far regarding the Opening Ceremony judging from the photos. I do expect the Soviet Communist era would be touched upon. I think Peter The Great would too and the Romanov dynasty as well. How about the serfdom?

Another pic from the Soviet segment. You can see they will project typical Cyrillic typography from that time and what seems to be newspapers (reminds me of London closing)

Also, is that an entrance to the subway i'm seeing?

GEUPoZe.jpg

Also I bet my horses they will use this song for that segment since many Russians consider it an iconic music (the Soviet national news from that time even used it as their jingle)

They used this song also in the handover and in Kazan 2013 Universiade.

Yeah, been the iconic theme for Vremya since 1987, be it on TV CCCP or now Channel One (begins at 2:04). Though nowdays some electronic BPMs have been used to update it as you'll see later. Like it's a club remix. Could we hear that iconic greeting from iot to begin the news program? Might see Pravda make an appearance too in some way.

Another pic from the Soviet segment. You can see they will project typical Cyrillic typography from that time and what seems to be newspapers (reminds me of London closing)

Also, is that an entrance to the subway i'm seeing?

GEUPoZe.jpg

It's like a scene from the beginning credits of Goldeneye!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFh5zQQb-t8

Well, since GoldenEye is my favorite Bond film, I was well aware of all that imagery of cast-off Soviet era statuary that ended up in a junkyard. I don't think GoldenEye was the particular inspiration for all that "Glorious MOtherland" statuary. The Russians have always known it--except this is one global moment to use it grandly.

Well, since GoldenEye is my favorite Bond film, I was well aware of all that imagery of cast-off Soviet era statuary that ended up in a junkyard. I don't think GoldenEye was the particular inspiration for all that "Glorious MOtherland" statuary. The Russians have always known it--except this is one global moment to use it grandly.

Obviously it wasn't the inspiration of the statuary. Nobody's suggesting that.

It's the floating disembodied forms, the lighting and the surreal quality of it that echoes that one pic. When we see the sequence in the ceremony it may feel very different from the Golden Eye credits. But for now, I can see why Ski Freak posted it.