• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I honestly don't see what is wrong with a map in the shape of Russia. If Sydney or London did it people would see it as another fantastic gesture of inclusion, but when Russia simply designs a stage

The whole point of the ceremony is to see different cultures and how those cultures see themselves and their Games. The type of people who criticised Athens for that are probably the same people who s

It looks like a Montessori Convention more than a world-class competition venue.

unfortunately the cauldron is on Moskva river embankment rusting

4510329720_09410903e2_z.jpg

That photo was uploaded to Flickr in April 2010, with the comment "The other day it's been taken for reconstruction as the authorities plan to re-install it in one of the alleys in Luzhniki." As the Baron hints, there are many photos of it in its new situation (and you can even find it on StreetView, which charmingly goes up and down all the alleys in the Luzhniki gardens).

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/88587985 for a start

I hope it's ice. They did a great job with it in SLC 2002 and after having snow (although artificially) in Vancouver, this was much needed to give a winter feeling to the ceremonies.

Whats that structure in the middle, though? It reminds me of the London Heatherwick cauldron for some reason.

To me, it simply looks like a white stage - what makes you folks believe that it's covered with ice?

Furthermore, as we already know, they have trap doors in that stage, so I doubt that one could produce a neat ice sheet on that stage and still be able to open those trap doors.

Regarding that picture of the rusting Moscow cauldron: I think that was not the Moscow 1980 Olympic cauldron, but the cauldron of the 1984 Friendship Games (the, so-to-speak, Eastern European "Anti-Olympics" in that summer of the Eastern boycott of the LA 1984 Olympics). Take a close look at the cauldron in this video of the 1984 Friendship Games opening ceremony, starting at 4:50 minutes. The stem of that cauldron seemed slimmer than that of the 1980 Olympic cauldron and also the flame bowl looked very much like that of the "rusting cauldron".

To me, it simply looks like a white stage - what makes you folks believe that it's covered with ice?

Becuz they are deploying as many of their figure skating stars as they can -- and they have been rehearsing at one of the hockey ice rinks before moving into Fisht. Remember parts of the Handover 4 years ago? That x10 probably.

Re the matter of the trapdoors -- I think we will be seeing an innovation in showbiz history wherein for the first time, trapdoors in an ice stage will be in use. OR, here's my other thought ...the trapdoors (therefore, breaking of the ice) will come into play after most of the mass ice performance numbers have been executed. Then it's OK to create breaks & ruts in the ice surface.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Furthermore, as we already know, they have trap doors in that stage, so I doubt that one could produce a neat ice sheet on that stage and still be able to open those trap doors.

Maybe the skaters will enter on rollerblades, then spend a quarter-hour stripping away the white surface to reveal green fields, while livestock, cottages, trees etc. appear from the trapdoors.

• Like 1

That photo was uploaded to Flickr in April 2010, with the comment "The other day it's been taken for reconstruction as the authorities plan to re-install it in one of the alleys in Luzhniki." As the Baron hints, there are many photos of it in its new situation (and you can even find it on StreetView, which charmingly goes up and down all the alleys in the Luzhniki gardens).

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/88587985 for a start

Thanks God the cauldron was restored:

4xxl.jpg