Sochi Ceremonies...

And, to finish it all off: Here's the translation of what the ZDF reporter said while they showed those clips from the rehearsal:

"Already today: Dress rehearsal in Sochi, three days before the official opening ceremony. The message of that on the present day still unexpectedly imperfect performance is clear: Russia wants to present itself as multi-ethnic nation, as a nation of poets and thinkers, as a country with a rich culture. It's the attempt to spruce up one's own image."

I think it will take more than an opening ceremony to spruce up its image???!!!????

That said the ceremony looks awesome! Can't wait!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I predicted, they used the song Time Forward in the soviet segment. :P also although the preview in ZDF doesn't shows all of it, the ceremony looks somewhat lighthearted and not as intimidating as most of us expected.

Has a ceremony ever had this many leaks before? We know the cauldron, the rings, several sets...

I'm amazed we managed to keep these things quiet but Russia can't! #savethesurprise

Unless Russia is throwing so much money at this that they're rehearsing things which won't be in the final ceremony just to throw people off the scent....like when the Simpsons made two endings for Who Shot Mr Burns...

Athens had a pretty major leak before their opening ceremony.

Granted, not so much in terms of photos, but in terms of moments. And in a ceremony like Athens where it was based around key images, they were big leaks.

From what I know ("I may be just a 15 Y.O. but I have sources..." ;) ), the ceremony seems pretty dang amazing. In a technical sense, it doesn't seem coherent in the way that London and Athens were coherent. Very Mishamashy. I wonder how the Olympic rings are actually formed though. I hope it's something integrated into the show and not just some rings flying in. :) I can't wait.

I think London and Athens are so iconic, they can afford to be abit more conceptual with their ceremonies, and indeed they were. London deciding to almost go for a *timeline of revolutions* approach, and Athens with a history of art and thought.

The likes of Russia, much like Australia in 2000, will feel it's appropriate to go for a more chronological historical approach. Of course we all know Russia, but much of its history is probably seen as being misunderstood.

We're all forgetting the grand-daddy of them all, Beijing -- still I think unparalleled in its spectacle and discipline in putting together a "tight" show vs. one four years later which went with the "lazy-hazy" excuse 'oh, this is our way of doing it." :rolleyes:

From what's coming out of the rehearsals, it looks as if Sochi may be trying to go for Beijing spectacle (albeit with props rather than a huge cast) and a little London fun.

Plus, from what I've seen also the innovation of Vancouver 2010 and likewise the fun of Melbourne 2006.

Should be the perfect ceremony, combine the spectacle of Beijing and the humor and humanity of London : )

crossing my finger that putin does NOT do something like the queen did.(like base jumping in the stadium or riding on a horse....half naked)

crossing my finger that putin does NOT do something like the queen did.(like base jumping in the stadium or riding on a horse....half naked)

Don't worry. He's just going to ride a bear...

Putin-rides-a-bear_zps4a901769.jpg

Interesting to see that the teams apparently march into the stadium from one of the centre gates, crossing the centre of the infield and then turning onto what would be the running track in a Summer Olympic Stadium. This is an Olympic premiere.

And the choice of music (t.A.T.u.) for the entrance of Team Russia apparently proves that they'll choose dance floor music for the parade. So this ceremony will have a very Eastern European flavour. :D

Interesting to see that the teams apparently march into the stadium from one of the centre gates, crossing the centre of the infield and then turning onto what would be the running track in a Summer Olympic Stadium. This is an Olympic premiere.

And the choice of music (t.A.T.u.) for the entrance of Team Russia apparently proves that they'll choose dance floor music for the parade. So this ceremony will have a very Eastern European flavour. :D

It looks like they're actually coming out of the floor.

Archived