Sochi Ceremonies...

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't see what is wrong with a map in the shape of Russia.

If Sydney or London did it people would see it as another fantastic gesture of inclusion, but when Russia simply designs a stage in the nap of the greater Russian map, it's seen as being too patriotic?

Surely a larger sense of patriotism would have been the god knows how many horsemen all holding Aussie flags in the Sydney opening ceremony? (which I thought was fine by the way, and looked great).

Love the look of the communist era looking segment. Some striking images there.

I was mostly surprised that they chose the map of Russia as design for their rostrum. I mean, there are far more "Olympic" designs than that, and that would be probably more suitable since Mr. Chernyshenko and Mr. Bach will give speeches with a rather international, universal message from there.

And I admit that in a country like Russia, or let's say, in a country with a government like the Putin administration, I'm more sensitive to patriotic and sometimes maybe even jingoistic undertones than in countries which are not known that much for xenophobia, a sometimes aggressive attitude towards other parts of the world (in this case, the West) and human rights issues. You have to be cautious of jingoism in any case, of course. But countries that already have a somewhat tarnished reputation in that regard should maybe think even better about how they present themselves at such a ceremony. Not that I want to scandalise that stage design, but I'm just saying.

I think the title of this thread should be renamed already with the Spoilers tag so people who want to save the surprise will be warned :P

Also, a video. A suggest you watch it now before it's eventually taken down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB8lJcNMT6k

Fireworks outside the stadium

Seen better. But they're less pathetic than the Vancouver ones at least.

Loving the look of the soviet bit, and the dancing domes looks fun too. On the BBC listing for the ceremony it says Russia will show 9 sections of its history, so there must be loads of suff we've not seen. I saw a bizarre floating island image on skyscraper with the floor filled with dry ice

For what we've seen, I think that, like Nacho said, the Onion domed churches globes segment will be something like the welcoming part before the athletes march in. The part with the huge floating island and trees is most likely a segment dedicated to Russian fairy tales/literature as a whole.

The parts with the pillars and people dancing might be the Imperial Russian one (rumours say there will be naval battleships) then following the Soviet Era one (which reminds me a bit of that industrial segment from Sydney 2000 and Pandemonium from London 2012). Then there is also another pic I saw online with a huge astrolabe-like structure, so i guess there will be a Space travel segment (there has to be one. Russia is very proud of being the first ones to reach space so it's a must. Even Moscow 1980 had astronauts)

Not very sure about those horses. I suppose it represents a huge troika. Also for what i've read there will be also a huge choir of Russian kids from every corner of the country which will be taking part in the show.

Not very sure about those horses. I suppose it represents a huge troika. Also for what i've read there will be also a huge choir of Russian kids from every corner of the country which will be taking part in the show.

Children chorus in different places???

Takes me back to Nagano "Ode to joy" and "Choir of nations" in London....

Another pic from the Soviet segment. You can see they will project typical Cyrillic typography from that time and what seems to be newspapers (reminds me of London closing)

Also, is that an entrance to the subway i'm seeing?

GEUPoZe.jpg

Also I bet my horses they will use this song for that segment since many Russians consider it an iconic music (the Soviet national news from that time even used it as their jingle)

They used this song also in the handover and in Kazan 2013 Universiade.

Pretty Cool!!!! Do you have more list of music used in Kazan?? Please post them!!! Most of them were played in Moscow '80 Olympics and in IAAF Opening Ceremony. Surey they will in Sochi.

What was the music used in Kazan previous to Russian flag was hoisted???

Seen better. But they're less pathetic than the Vancouver ones at least.

I think majority of the world only saw the fireworks after the indoor cauldron was lit. There was a full fireworks display after the outdoor one was lit by hockey legend Wayne Gretzky.

Pretty Cool!!!! Do you have more list of music used in Kazan?? Please post them!!! Most of them were played in Moscow '80 Olympics and in IAAF Opening Ceremony. Surey they will in Sochi.

What was the music used in Kazan previous to Russian flag was hoisted???

Kazan ceremony used lots of original compositions by Igor Krutoy, who was also the show producer (he's pretty much the russian Andrew Lloyd Weber) but they also used other classic russian songs.

They use Tchaikovsky's Piano Concert N°1 when the Russian flag was about to be hoisted (they also used this when the torch arrived in Moscow 1980).

Holy ****...some of this is gonna be astounding :o

(not too sure about the mascots though. Or the domes, but at least that bit looks fun)

Just seen the train, an actual replica TRAIN FFS??!! above the floor, no wonder they needed those hangars :o

Kazan ceremony used lots of original compositions by Igor Krutoy, who was also the show producer (he's pretty much the russian Andrew Lloyd Weber) but they also used other classic russian songs.

They use Tchaikovsky's Piano Concert N°1 when the Russian flag was about to be hoisted (they also used this when the torch arrived in Moscow 1980).

Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1 for the entrance of the Olympic Flag and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite for the Lighting of the Cauldron.

Archived