Sochi Ceremonies...

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you notice that the stage around the two flagpoles is shaped like Russia?

http://instagram.com/p/j4ooG9HubZ/#

And, of course, it seems to be located directly opposite the VIP box so that "The Great Leader" Putin has that map of Russia in full view.

I don't know whether such patriotic (if not nationalist) elements aren't a bit over the top. You all know that already the patriotic "We Are More" poem at Vancouver's opening ceremony created some controversy. Yes, opening ceremonies are always also patriotic events for the host nation and they contain, for example, the hoisting of the host nation's flag and the playing of its national anthem, but the patriotism shouldn't be too much in the face, I think.

And yes, those Olympic Rings really look a lot like London's, only with a whiter light and this time in a vertical position. I suppose, though, that they will be "fabricated" differently - I see a connection to the five sun-shaped things that could be seen in the rehearsal collage posted earlier by Ikarus. Maybe they will somehow throw off those "sunrays" and the rings will be all what remains?

Hey, we're talking about Russia here, one of the most uberpatriotic countries in the whole wide world, so this was to be expected. :P

Also, the mascots actually look nice. I thought the segment with them would look awful but it's not bad actualy.

By the way, the way everything will be arranged for the parade of nations reminds me so much of what Doha did for the 2006 Asiad and 2011 Pan Arab games.

Hey, we're talking about Russia here, one of the most uberpatriotic countries in the whole wide world, so this was to be expected. :P

Also, the mascots actually look nice. I thought the segment with them would look awful but it's not bad actualy.

By the way, the way everything will be arranged for the parade of nations reminds me so much of what Doha did for the 2006 Asiad and 2011 Pan Arab games.

I honestly don't see what is wrong with a map in the shape of Russia.

If Sydney or London did it people would see it as another fantastic gesture of inclusion, but when Russia simply designs a stage in the nap of the greater Russian map, it's seen as being too patriotic?

Surely a larger sense of patriotism would have been the god knows how many horsemen all holding Aussie flags in the Sydney opening ceremony? (which I thought was fine by the way, and looked great).

Love the look of the communist era looking segment. Some striking images there.

^^ They're actually cute, though. Even if they remind me of something taken from a Dreamworks movie.

Anyway, some more pictures. This ceremony is going to be insane :o

m41-620SIRk.jpg

ppPIK-mwvSg.jpg

YWFe6VA4Io4.jpg

dmQSiN56VjU.jpg

Notice in the last pic how part of the floor lowered. It seems athletes will enter through some kind of underground tunnel.

Athens?? Far from it. Those pillars rising out of the floor are straight out of Beijing; all that big flying stuff is Doha, Vancouver and Kazan. Looks like they'll be employing a lot of giant props, hence those huge hangars.

Wonder what they'll have planned for CLosing and the Paras.

The horse reminds me of the centaur for some reason and the parade of Russian cultural things comes from Athens. Yes, the pillars are Beijing.

The Soviet segment o.o

BfSKlW-CQAIWHd9.jpg

Neat. Shows that the Russians aren't afraid to acknowledge a key part of their history. I anticipate the rise and fall of Communism and the beginnings of a more "democratic" Russia.

Are the skyscrapers supposed to represent the idealistic concept of Communism? The idea of the state run machine improving the conditions in an otherwise non functioning system? The false hopes of grand infrastructure, agriculture, industry etc.

Well, many Russians still feel proud of their USSR era and how it influenced them both politically and culturally (even though most agree today Stalin was a bloody psychopath despite his decisions at the Siege of Stalingrad). The buildings are meant to represent the typical soviet architecture of that time (Stalinist Architecture)

Did you notice that the stage around the two flagpoles is shaped like Russia?

http://instagram.com/p/j4ooG9HubZ/#

I don't know whether such patriotic (if not nationalist) elements aren't a bit over the top. You all know that already the patriotic "We Are More" poem at Vancouver's opening ceremony created some controversy. Yes, opening ceremonies are always also patriotic events for the host nation and they contain, for example, the hoisting of the host nation's flag and the playing of its national anthem, but the patriotism shouldn't be too much in the face, I think.

Yes. I aways felt tha poem "We are more" with its sense of an open and diverse country and, overal the part when he says "We are north, true and free" is a hit in the eye tu the US...

Personally I think we have not to surprise to see the Soviets elements in the Ceremony... Russian still fell themselves like Soviets, yet. Just watch Kazan ceremonies the music and the concepts.. not so far than 1980 Moscow Olympics... Specially the "space" concept where, again, is a hit in the eye to the US.

Putin is still a sort of dictator in the Internet era... Russians are proud of their history and, on the contrary of most "democratic" countries may thik (like mine, Chile) past is not a matter to "forgive and improve".... And that is the spirit, I think, of this ceremony again... A hidden "red ceremony"

I have to say I am shocked with the pics... I expected something much bigger.. but it's a reharsal of course... The best is still coming...

I am trying to see how the image in the floor is generated. I originally thought projectors, like Vancouver, but I don't see shadows in the images. Are they using something like a giant TV Screen in the floor like Beijing?

I'd assume multiple projectors from multiple angles - The image isn't bright like you'd expect from a screen, and of course, a screen can't have cloth rise out of it.

Archived