Sochi Ceremonies...

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always think that bottom render is so misleading. It's the athens ceremony they are using, which is a far bigger space than the fisht has, makes the stadium proportions look bigger than they are.

Yes it's the height of the hangars the are so eye opening!

i keep thinking huge props will move through the stadium on tracks from shed to shed

i mean that's some HUGE storage hangers and TALL

0_1076d7_538ef625_XXL.jpg

35632596_IWppKqMwlwWny0E7raK_TuhsZL0OiGc

tracks

3cji.jpg

'the way we were'

%C2%A9-POPULOUS-Sochi-Stadium_2014-Olymp

%C2%A9-POPULOUS-Sochi-2014-Olympic-Stadi

%C2%A9-POPULOUS-Sochi-2014-Olympic-Stadi

Well, the show better be awesome because those hangers look TERRIBLE.

The amazing thing is that THIS STADIUM WAS BUILT ESPECIALLY FOR THE OPENING CEREMONIES. It looks like a wreck with these giant sheds, the inflatable roof, etc. An architectural disaster.

Paul, your post demonstrates all that brilliantly.

Well, yeah. But they weren't going to build a stadium 2x the size of normal just to accommodates special Ceremonial needs. The 2 sets of Ceremonies that will take place in 2 months' time will never happen on that scale again; so it would be so stupid to build something like Jerry Jones' Dallas Cowboys' megastadium if only for those reasons.

The amazing thing is that THIS STADIUM WAS BUILT ESPECIALLY FOR THE OPENING CEREMONIES. It looks like a wreck with these giant sheds, the inflatable roof, etc. An architectural disaster.

Inflatable roof? That stadium has the sturdiest roof of any stadium, ever. They really could fly in a fleet of battleships from those sheds.

Paul, your post demonstrates all that brilliantly.

It was always built at this scale with the 2018 World Cup in mind - that was always on the agenda, right back in 2005 when the bid emerged. It was always going to become a football stadium.

Although I don't doubt that the permanent parts of the roof are in their heavy duty form because of the Opening Ceremony needs. That is a lot of steel.

I think that as the ceremonies take place in the dark, the hangars won't be that visible in the outside shots. And a ceremonial TV broadcast would be nothing if they didn't show the stadium (and especially the light effects and the firework displays) from the outside once in a while.

I think that as the ceremonies take place in the dark, the hangars won't be that visible in the outside shots. And a ceremonial TV broadcast would be nothing if they didn't show the stadium (and especially the light effects and the firework displays) from the outside once in a while.

Well vancouver only had a couple of shots I think and they were at the beginning. Will there even be fireworks if nobody inside gets to see them? I can see one or two firework moments but not a big display like we saw at london or Beijing.

2 Things, I looked at a picture of the cauldron, the one from the baltimore sun.

REU-RUSSIA__012.jpg

You can clearly see the beginnings of the medal plaza. The stage is outlined right through the middle, it appears that the audience will have their backs to the cauldron.

Second thing, I found this DJ https://soundcloud.com/djboyko/boyko-olympic-games-radio-mix

artworks-000067210579-tzeogi-t500x500.jp

He says...

Dj Boyko is official artist of Olympic Games 2014 in Russia.
His performances will be held February 8 and 9 - in the opening days of the 2014 Olympic Games in the main arena of awarding medals Sochi Medals Plaza.

Anyone know if this is true?

Also, what the hell are those red things behind the cauldron?

And that ring coloured pathway is really tacky. Really questioning some of the design choices here.

One observation: It's going to be very annoying to get everything into that medal plaza area when they have to squeeze between two flagpoles. Also makes evacuation difficult in the case of a fire or some other emergency.

*everyone

I don't think that this should be a problem. Those flagpoles still seem far enough apart from another to let maybe a dozen people and also rescue vehicles pass through them. I don't think that they've planned that park unprofessionally, especially not in security regards (with those terror threats looming above the Games).

Inflatable roof? That stadium has the sturdiest roof of any stadium, ever. They really could fly in a fleet of battleships from those sheds.

I'm only talking about the cosmetic exterior central section. Obviously the whole reason for filling in the roof in the first place was the technical demands of the show and there's tons of structure underneath.

Look, all I'm saying is that the venue looks TRULY AWFUL. People complained bitterly about the wings on London's aquatic center. IMO, this is 10 times worse. Either the show needed to be rethought, the architecture needed to be redesigned or both. This structure is just a conglomeration of band aids and additions.

And yes, they plan to use it for the Workd Cup as well (and presumably beyond), but the PRIMARY reason for building this venue was the Olympic ceremonies. It is supposed to be the centerpiece of the Olympic Park and it's a wreck. For 50 billion there had to be a way to have a halfway decent-looking stadium AND a good show.

I'm only talking about the cosmetic exterior central section. Obviously the whole reason for filling in the roof in the first place was the technical demands of the show and there's tons of structure underneath.

Look, all I'm saying is that the venue looks TRULY AWFUL. People complained bitterly about the wings on London's aquatic center. IMO, this is 10 times worse. Either the show needed to be rethought, the architecture needed to be redesigned or both. This structure is just a conglomeration of band aids and additions.

And yes, they plan to use it for the Workd Cup as well (and presumably beyond), but the PRIMARY reason for building this venue was the Olympic ceremonies. It is supposed to be the centerpiece of the Olympic Park and it's a wreck. For 50 billion there had to be a way to have a halfway decent-looking stadium AND a good show.

The concept of having the stadium open to the sea and the mountains is one I still like, and come 2018 it'll be a stunning football venue. Having the roof for the Games is also understandable and actually I think by itself it'd be fine. It's the giant sheds combined with that which make it look such an awful mess.

Given the budget, surely it could've been possible to have a large undercroft where things could be stored for the ceremonies? I'm sure that's what the London team did.

I think the problem was they designed the stadium before any ceremonies team got on board. One of the great things about sydney was at least ric birch sat down with the stadium guys to talk waterfalls before they started building!

I think the problem was they designed the stadium before any ceremonies team got on board. One of the great things about sydney was at least ric birch sat down with the stadium guys to talk waterfalls before they started building!

Well, a stadium, before or after a Ceremonies team comes in, is going to be bowl-shaped no matter what. The problem with Sochi is that it appears they have very grandiose Ceremonial ideas and then there are the winds in the area which I think the bi-valve design of Fisht made the winds in the stadium cavity worse. So they had to adapt it to a fully enclosed stadium. That's where the rub is. Maybe in the summer, when the WC will be held, the winds aren't so bad???

Well, a stadium, before or after a Ceremonies team comes in, is going to be bowl-shaped no matter what. The problem with Sochi is that it appears they have very grandiose Ceremonial ideas and then there are the winds in the area which I think the bi-valve design of Fisht made the winds in the stadium cavity worse. So they had to adapt it to a fully enclosed stadium. That's where the rub is. Maybe in the summer, when the WC will be held, the winds aren't so bad???

Not so bad either in frequency of high gusts or (perhaps crucially) in direction, according to:

http://www.windfinder.com/windstats/windstatistic_sochi_airport_adler.htm

Given the budget, surely it could've been possible to have a large undercroft where things could be stored for the ceremonies? I'm sure that's what the London team did.

An undercroft for the sort of large-scale props they seem likely to be producing from those hangars would probably have to go below sea-level !

Archived